Search Unity

Can I scale my platforms' transforms and be okay for player collision?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Vad3rInHale, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Vad3rInHale

Vad3rInHale

Hi all!

Essentially, I was reading on best physics practices for Unity and there was this:

"ALWAYS HAVE 1-1-1 SCALE Scaling objects without physics is alright, but when an object is going to act as a physics object, I would rather advice you to not to mess around with scale. Scaling can cause weird collisions and can also affect how the object will fall. For example: "A big rock without any air resistance will fall to the ground in a matter of a few glimpses (dropped from a tower or something). But if suppose everything around is scaled up large then the resulting fall will look quite slow." There is always an option to mess around with gravity to get it right, but that is also not the right way to go. The simple way around is to control scale to 1-1-1, as Unity’s physics works the best in that case." from here - http://www.theappguruz.com/blog/learn-physics-optimization-in-unity-easily

Is this true if I have walls and floors I am scaling through the transform instead of the collider component? Will this have a negative effect on the player jumping and moving across these objects with collision?

If so, would it make sense to have an empty parent at 1-1-1 and make the mesh/collider a scaled child?

Thank you community xP