Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

can i safely clear metadata?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by smokingbunny, Dec 15, 2014.

1. smokingbunny

smokingbunny

hello folks,

nearing the end of making this application which im happy about. but in my project folder there is a metadata folder that is FILLED. i mean 99.99% of my project is in this folder.
    whilst i know that some of this will actually be storing data etc. but does it need all of it?

mainly asking because id like to use bitbucket to privately store it so when i go somewhere else on another computer i can get it easily. but really dont want to put it up because its a really stupidly big folder.
    so is there a way i can clear the metadata safely without messing my project up?
    is there a way to clear some of the data within unity?
    ive searched on the forum but could not find anything on this

thanks

2. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

Before experimenting with deleting the metadata folder backup your project.

I don't know which version of unity you are using but as of 4.2 (I think it was 4.2) .meta files are always enabled. .meta are the small files next to you assets with the same name as the assets but with a .meta extension.

The .meta files and your assets contains all the information required to reconstruct the metadata.

You can also find more information here: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ExternalVersionControlSystemSupport.html

3. smokingbunny

smokingbunny

thanks for that. but what i meant was a folder called metadata. i know of the files next to each file in the project but there is a folder in 'projectName/Library/metadata'
    in that folder there is a mass of files, all with some garbled text names.

you may have meant exactly what i was asking, so thanks. ill have a look-see. ill save and copy my project and mess around, see what i can do

cheers

fffMalzbier likes this.
  4. Zerot

Zerot

Graham-Dunnett likes this.
  5. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

Yes that is what I meant. If you have meta files enabled it is safe to delete <projectpath>/Library/metadata. It should never be in version control anyway like stated in the documentation

6. smokingbunny

smokingbunny

ah brilliant, thanks very much fo this

im still geting used to unity, but really quickly compred to other platforms ive used. what with the help of he community and the great tutoril videos offered on the site

again thanks