Search Unity

can firebase real-time database be used for storing player data on a pc standalone game?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by SimBoi, Jun 9, 2017.

1. SimBoi

SimBoi

all what I have found about firebase real-time database is that it can support browser, android and ios games. my game is a multiplayer fps game and what I need firebase for is to store the player data such as unlocked weapons and characters. my game is a pc standalone game. is it possible to use the firebase in it?

2. donnysobonny

donnysobonny

Firebase is an android/ios specific service, so unfortunately you don't have the option to use it on desktop builds.

There are other services you can use though, such as gamesparks. Personally though I would prefer to build a custom back-end using something like a web-server and a database. This is obviously a little more tricky though...

Good luck!

SimBoi likes this.
  3. SimBoi

SimBoi

ty for ur raply, the case is that I want something free to use like firebase and am not thinking of participating with any paid service because I dont really have the money for that! if u know any free service please tell though

4. GameSparks_Clare

GameSparks_Clare

Hi XxSimBaaxX

With GameSparks we're free to evaluate and prototype with so you can be sure we are the service for you. If you qualify for our Indie & Student programme, you get your first 100,000 MAUs completely free!

If you'd like more information on this programme please get in touch with us via info@GameSparks.com or you can apply for the programme here - https://www.gamesparks.com/pricing/

Best of luck in your project!
    Clare

5. DBronson

DBronson

Unity Technologies

I don't believe there is anything about Firebase that locks you into Android/iOS, they simply offer SDK's for those platforms as well as a Unity SDK and a general C++ SDK. That being said their offering is pretty generalized where GameSparks is tailored specifically to gaming use cases.

GameSparks_Clare likes this.
  6. SimBoi

SimBoi

THANK YOU SO MUCH, I am gonna definitely apply for your service its so awesome I was just looking at your services keep up the awesome work.
    I havent noticed any mention of the CCU at the website, I can assume that you only care about the MAU, right?

GameSparks_Clare likes this.
  7. GameSparks_Clare

GameSparks_Clare

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you!
    Cost is based on MAU. CCU would really only effect things like server scaling to make sure you have the resources that match your needs.