Search Unity

Camera missing (unity 5.6.0f3)

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Vadersson, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Vadersson

Vadersson

When I create a new project in unity 5.6.0f3 my camera ain't visible.

Instead I see a weird transparant circle, this while the gizmo's are enabled.

How can I turn on the camera 'icon' again ?
    Sorry if this is a noob question, I'm new to unity.

2. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

In the toolbar you have the RectTransform tool selected - it's the one that looks like a square in the upper left. That's generally used for manipulating 2D UI objects. I don't know for sure and I don't have Unity in front of me, but it's possible that it does something with the gizmos? Try selecting one of the normal 3D tools - the hand on the very left, for example - and see if that makes a difference.

Schneider21 likes this.
  3. Schneider21

Schneider21

I just tested it, and @Dave-Carlile is correct. When you have the RectTransform tool selected, the 3D Transform widgets are hidden to allow easier UI element editing.

Dave-Carlile likes this.
  4. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

Awesome, thank you for testing it. It's one of those UI behaviors that we don't tend to think about consciously so I couldn't remember what it changed.

5. Vadersson

Vadersson

Thanks for your reply, unfortunally when I select something else on the toolbar the camera still ain't visible.

I've pressed F several times to center the camera, and use the mousewheel to zoom in and out... but the camera ain't visible anywhere :|

6. Schneider21

Schneider21

Perhaps a silly question, but are you mousing over the Scene view when you press F? That's the only place it works. In your original screenshot, you had that gray circle at the camera's origin, which is exactly what I get when I have the camera selected and the RectTransform tool active. The only other thing I can think of is that if you're zoomed in too closely, you won't see widgets.

Have you tried creating a new project again to see if the problem persists?

7. Vadersson

Vadersson

Yes, I'm mousing over the scene view when I press F, and the screen zooms in (or out) at that moment. But no matter how far I zoom in myself the camere ain't visible in the scene view.

8. Schneider21

Schneider21

Very strange. Can you try adding a few other components (lights, cubes, particle systems, etc) and see if widgets are visible for any of them? If not, it may be a bug, which you can report through the editor to help the team solve the problem.

9. Vadersson

Vadersson

hmmm I seem to have it with lights and cubes as well. I'll report it as a bug for now... hopefully they can help me out.
    Thanks for your help Schneider21, I appreciate it.

Schneider21 likes this.
  10. Schneider21

Schneider21

Not a problem! Sorry I couldn't solve it for you. Please report back if you manage to figure it out or if upgrading the IDE fixes the issue!

11. Vadersson

Vadersson

I will, thanks!

12. panoskal

panoskal

Here is another thought. Go to the upper right and make sure that Everything is selected in Layers.

13. juan42

juan42

hi Vadersson,

I have the same problem as you. How did you fix it.

thanks,