Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

C + + for absolute beginners

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by joelmappa, Nov 2, 2016.

1. joelmappa

joelmappa

C + + for absolute beginners
    Hello,
    i am interested in learning C + + but i am a total beginner and never scripted in my life.I just followed the basic courses of html/java-script etc in CodeAcademy .... but it didn't made me learn much so i would like to know what should i do to learn.I tried borrowing a scripting book in my school library when i read it it was too hard to understand.This is why i am asking where should i start? Then how should i go deeper?
    My problem is that i don't have much access to the computer(cause of my parents) so i would prefer an offline way of learning a book preferably if it is a book like Head First i already tried but it need computer programs which i cant use often so if it was possible to emulate the C + + on android it would help me a lot so any recommendations for learning?
    Ty for taking time to read ^^

Note:I am 15

2. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

Do you have access to the Unity3D program? You can program it using C# (but not C++.)

If you aren't able to use Unity3D, or if you really meant C++, then this isn't a great place to ask. I mean, I've got an OK programming book for beginners at taxesforcatses, but it's in C# using Unity3D.

3. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

C++ is for Unreal, Unity uses C# and UnityScript.

Do some tutorials!! Best thing you can do to get a feel for the engine: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials

You can even just watch them without being on the computer on a phone or tablet, along with other C# tutorials. Once you get the basics of C# you can pretty much look into the docs for everything you need, or ask a specific forum question.

As @Owen-Reynolds said, if you can't have access to Unity3D, then it's better off reading books and watching videos on C# since you won't be able to make anything. However, if you can't write code, it'll be much harder to learn. It's like trying to learn how to play the piano without having a piano to play.

Really, tell your parents that in the 21st century it's important to be properly educated in computers. Programming is the future, and is one of the best skills you can learn yourself. Or scrap together money for your own laptop. If you can get $200-350 together, you can get a new laptop, or a used one (such as this). A cheap laptop isn't ideal, but for most mobile and other simple games it will be sufficient. Might take a while, but if game development is something you have a passion for, it's not too hard.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016