Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

C# file does not exists on Collab

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by andrew-lukasik, Mar 6, 2017.

1. andrew-lukasik

andrew-lukasik

I just found out that one of my main C# files (created days/commits ago) does NOT exists on Collab servers at all... And whats more - it was deleted Permanently from my hard drive... That, hurts.

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @andrew-lukasik! I'm very sorry to hear that you can't find your file! If you committed the file then you should be able to use the Collab History window to Go Back to a previous commit where the file exits. Does the file not appear no matter how far back you go? Which version of Unity are you using?

3. andrew-lukasik

andrew-lukasik

Both Timeline and Assets views from web interface shows no trace that this file ever existed. It's was Unity 5.6.0b8 and I noticed nothing out of ordinary in my Collab routine until this. Daily connection problems or odd collab refresh rituals (restarting Unity, reimporting entire project) are just routine for me but they're mild annoyance compared to this.
    This fact came to my attention only after casually using Collab History and noticing that there are errors about missing code references. And discovery wasn't very pleasing one.
    Unfortunately I don't think I have any clues how to reproduce this, just letting you guys know that this is one undocumented feature I experienced first hand.

4. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Yikes! That's super bizarre! :(

Can you DM me your project's ID (Services window->Settings) and the name of your missing file? We can try to find your file on our end.

5. andrew-lukasik

andrew-lukasik

I remember now, at some point, looking at change list in Collab's drop-down menu and being puzzled why there are so few files to publish. To my own demise - I didn't give it a closer look, clicked Publish, saw big green ✔ and returned to work not giving it a second thought.

(DM sent)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  6. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

OK, we looked in your project and didn't see any evidence of your missing file earlier than your recent commit. You mentioned that you had to do some Collab "rituals". Did any of that involve linking/unlinking your project? Did you ever redownload your project from the In the Cloud tab in the launcher to a new directory? Have you been using partial publish at all (right clicking on a modified file and committing a sub-section of files)? I'm curious to know more about the circumstances around this because files should never just disappear from your project's history unless they were never committed in the first place.

7. andrew-lukasik

andrew-lukasik

Yes. And surely some of the times it's just me being plain silly but other times it's confusing situations like:
    - it wants to push file deletion and creation in the same commit (project reimport helped here few times)
    - it can't commit some files (editor restart)
    - it actively refuse to revert some files (editor restart)
    - it's endlessly stuck on reverting single file (editor restart)
    Because these situations often renders commit queue stuck and since I need to continue to work in timely fashion I try mentioned ugly but immediate methods
    It is definately possible, but not done intentionally; I work on portable pc thus internet isn't always available. I can see it affects Collab in that it often tries to re-link project again and again while reporting connection and similar errors. Editor restart is sometimes needed in order to make it work especially after I switch workplaces work<>home and system was hibernated.
    Also, wifi in the office has some ports blocked but I have no idea is it a problem for Collab.
    Not while or immediately before this missing file case happened. After it happened - yes - I downloaded it elsewhere to just make sure it's not project instance related.
    Not 100% sure here. Overall definitely super rarely or never. Yet there is a chance I might opened this partial publish window that day, just don't remember.
    If it's of any use - my subjective understanding of this situation is that this file (and few other files/changes too, as i discovered later) did not disappeared from Collab servers at all but were never shown in commit queue in the first place (!). So consequently - they were never published in any of those few commits that day - exactly as you say. Other files were published that day but not these few for some reason.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  8. andrew-lukasik

andrew-lukasik

Hi again,
    Deleting \Library\Collab in my completely different project just caused files to show up as new changes - is it expected behaviour and totally ok or by any chance this may be something related to this thread?

9. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @andrew-lukasik! Yes, that is expected behavior after deleting your Collab snapshot.