Search Unity

c# and the best equivalent of #include (from c/c++)?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by rsud, Jul 21, 2014.

1. rsud

rsud

Hello,
    New to c# and wanted a recommendation on how to use a common data variables across multiple .cs files.

In c/c++ I would put variable definitions into an include file and #include them in the separate c/c++ code source files.

I just want the same variables in the separate c# classes (.cs).
    But I DO NOT need the variables to share the same value across classes (.cs files).
    Each class will have its own settings for each of the variables.

What is my best option to do the equivalent in c#?

Should I just create a class (.cs) with my common variables and then declare each of the class .cs files?

2. TRALLALAL

TRALLALAL

I would like to know this as well as I'm using different files which share the same things except for values.

3. _met44

_met44

C# is 100% object, you can't have variables hanging in nowhere like in C. You can make singleton classes & static variables if you want it quick and simple, or use various design patterns to locate your data etc...

Also what you say kinda look like you could use inheritance. It would give you a base class to derive from your other classes that have the same root.

4. landon912

landon912

You could extend MonoBehavour with your variables in a custom class and then use that as your base class for everything else.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. class CustomMonoBehaviour : MonoBehaviour
    2. {
    3.           //fields you want to inherit in other classes
    4. }
    6. class EveryOtherClass : CustomMonoBehaviour
    7. {
    9. }
    Or, you could use interfaces if you only need methods, properties, or events.

5. shaderop

shaderop

The easiest way to do this is to have a base class that contain that variable and then have all the other classes inherit from that.

WhoRainZone1 likes this.
  6. LightStriker

LightStriker

Base class for the definition with a constructor to set the variables to the values you want per derived type?

WhoRainZone1 likes this.
  7. WhoRainZone1

WhoRainZone1

Just for some backup - base class is what you want, and my above posters already said so