Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Busy World AI [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by johny, Jan 28, 2013.

1. johny

johny

Buy it Now

Busy World AI is a fast way to implement and make populated worlds like those seen in AAA games like the Assassins Creed series, Hitman games and Grand Theft Auto games. Due to Busy Worlds lightweight framework and fast implementation it can be featured in almost any scene with minimal strain on the games fps and playability.

Features:
    -Customizable AI to suit your game
    -Action nodes that make your AI do a specific action such as read the newspaper, talk to people and shop
    -Simple to read and understand code that is designed to be customized
    -Code is also fully commented
    -Capable of running hundreds of AI while still maintaining a solid frame rate
    -Set up in minutes
    -Tons of updates planned, get it while its cheap​

Busy World AI can quickly and easily create fully realized and interactive worlds where numerous inhabitants behave in a realistic and meaningful way.

Along with the ability to customize the AI to behave in different ways, busy worlds AI also features easy-to-read, well commented and optimized code which has useful functions that easily can be expanded for making even more realistic AI.

2. elias_t

elias_t

I like the implementation of your ai.

But I think it is eating up a lot of resources. Do you believe that there is room to optimize it more?
    Make it multithreaded perhaps?

3. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

I also like the Implementation of you AI.

Planning on buying it come Friday :D

Are there any future plans for Busy world AI? If so I would like to hear them.

4. johny

johny

The next big optimization phase will be coming after I finish the current update I am working on.

Currently I am working on 2 scenes for an update to show how beautifully Busy World AI can be implemented and one mechanic update. The mechanic update will make Busy World AI work for 4x style games such as sins of a solar empire. This will mean space ships can go verticle as well. The other scene is one that copy's the AI scenes of the hitman games with crowds and such.

After this update I will add more flexible action nodes to create a more realistic world and increase optimization, I will also consider adding a more realistic AI option that will make the AI smarter but it will cost more performance.

Thanks for showing interest in Busy World AI. Pick it up while its cheap.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  5. johny

johny

Here is a small WIP snippet of the next update: Webplayer demo

It allows for 4X space style movement.

6. carmine

carmine

I'd absolutely love this package.... but... I tried the webplayer demo, and on the 3rd seen with lots of AI, I was get 13 fps. I also tried the spaceship demo which is awesome... except things were flying in/through each other.

If you can optimize this, I'm totally into buying this!

7. johny

johny

Hey carmine. I totally forgot to account for the fact people don't have the same pc specs as me. The scene where you recieved 13 fps is less of a this is recommended thing and more of this is what you can do and regarding the collision of space ships, having the spaceships and AI not collide could potentially decrease performance so for the demo's I didn't make them collide. Due to the fully commented code it is very easy to add physics collisions if you wanted. I may actually include an option for that in the next update.

Just remember that after I have updated this package a few times I may increase the price if I feel it is worth it.

8. johny

johny

9. anthonyk2

anthonyk2

Hi !
    Thank you for this nice tool.
    Can you maybe provide an update with a scene using the manual feature ?
    I'm trying to let the character cross the road only if the streetlight is green. But I can't figure out this. Do you have any tips ?

Also, on scene1, if I place a node in the middle of the scene. The character go there and cannot find a new node. It makes Unity crashing totally.

Thank you for your help !

10. johny

johny

Hey thanks for buying Busy world AI. I will add a scene that waits for a light to turn green in the next update. Regarding the node in the middle: nodes work by checking their left,right,forwards and backwards. Because the 4 nodes on the outside are all aligned (the perfect sqaure means they can check left,right,forwards and backwards and be positive they have found another node.

Having 1 node in the middle that cant find a neighbour means that when the AI goes there it wont be able to find the next node and it will crash.

See how here the one in the middle has no other nodes joined? This is the wrong setup

but this one does, this is the right set-up.

PS: the manual option is for manually setting nodes. So instead of searching for neighbours at the start it will use which ever ones you put in the nodes possible nodes array. You will want to do an action node. Change the DoAction() function in the AI script to check to see if a light is green and then move if it is and wait if it isn't. As I said I will still add a scene doing this in the next update anyway.

Please feel free to keep asking if I didn't explain it well.

11. anthonyk2

anthonyk2

Thanks for the answear ;) I will try that asap !

12. anthonyk2

anthonyk2

About the crash, I was actually saying that you should prevent it. Cause if no node is found, your while( node == null ) is looping infinitly which cause the Editor to crash and you loose all the changes in your project.

So you could just add this :

13. zephren

zephren

Very interested in your product, does it play well with other assets,

my game is all 2d characters set in a 3d sandbox world,

will I be able to set up my sprites /w animations to function in your game properly. (probably ex2d or similar asset)

and also will it work well with ORK or RPG - Kit (have not decided which one to get)

14. johny

johny

Hey anthonyk2, all the little bugs like that have been fixed in the latest update that will be coming in a few days.

Busy World AI will work with any other asset pack. It will also be incredibly simple to incorperate some of ORK or RPG kits features into the AI because of how well commented the code is.

All your characters and sprites need is the AI script attached to them and they will behave as intended.

15. johny

johny

Traffic light demo

Still a bit buggy and gets occasional errors. Once these are fixed the update will be done.

16. paulojsam

paulojsam

Ive bought it but i havent found a way to replace the dummy model with another animated one? Can you send me a message explaining how this is done please?

17. johny

johny

Hey paulojsam, this shouldn't be to hard. Simply get your new model and add the AI script. That's all that is needed. Rename the animation names in the inspector to match that of yours. Thats all that is needed. The dummy model also has a collider and a rigidbody.

18. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Just one question - does this work with mobile? What's the performance like?

19. johny

johny

I haven't tested it with mobile. I should work but I wouldn't expect any where near the same results as you would get on pc due to system specs.

Sorry to be so vague but I never really thought about it.

20. fano_linux

fano_linux

this looks interesting... I've followed a car, and sometimes it pass through people. have you tough about people to avoid the car or any other object.

21. johny

johny

Hey Fano_linux, good question. This is something I decided to leave out of the asset as it is something that few people actually asked for and could be easily implemented if they wanted to. It would also decrease fps in the demo's with hundreds of characters at once.

22. ersaurabh101

ersaurabh101

how optimized this is ?? If you have optimized it, i am the buyer

23. johny

johny

I just put the next update up for review which adds some new scenes, more optimization, less bugs and more features as well some general optimization.

24. johny

johny

Latest update has been accepted and is out. Grab it while its hot.

25. ersaurabh101

ersaurabh101

demo link please

26. johny

johny

27. ersaurabh101

ersaurabh101

1 more query before i buy...I have a long running game, ofcourse the scene is culled, now what i want to do using your script is , crowd should simulate like this

1. only infront of the running man and gets destroyed when he crosses them
    2. crowd should simulate around the main character, as big scenes are culled and when the person is moving, crowd should always be around him and should vanish from far away[lets say a limit of distance 10 as diameter] location.

IS these 2 points currently possible ? Or are you planning to do something ? If this is easily possible i am your buyer today :)

28. johny

johny

Hey ersaurabh101, obviously these things are not in the asset by default. But by the sounds of it you are quite knowledgeable of culling and optimization in general. The scripts involved in the AI wont cause a problem in culling. It will be as simple as normal culling.

29. ersaurabh101

ersaurabh101

mmmm...confused

i think i got my answer, i may have to instantiate your prefabs by my custom script and your AI does the rest ;)

I hope this is the answer to my own question

30. oxhey

oxhey

Hi , I'm using the Busy World AI with Eddy's Vehicle Physics. Bearing in mind , i don't know how to code properly , my question is :

How would I make it so that a car with your AI script can detect others cars and adjust its speed accordingly. For example , ill be driving a car along side other cars that have your script . They follow their path , but when I try to go in font of them , they just carry on and push my car off the road.

Also , the traffic light system is a bit buggy . It seems as though the AI randomly chooses to go . It should be if redLight is true then they stop .If redLight is not true they go.
    Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  31. radiantboy

radiantboy

Hi dudes, I bought this pretty awesome asset, Im basically using scene 3 as an example in my game, however there are crashes out of the box on all scenes here on my unity - it runs for a while til they leave the area. The only show stopper so far (but only because im not using much functionality) is this line in AI.cs:

var rotation = Quaternion.LookRotation(curNode.transform.position - transform.position);

sometimes curNode is null - when this happens the scene crashes, I have used an if to return early if curNode is null, but once you do that the guy starts walking on the spot like michael jackson doing the moonwalk - anyone know how to fix this issue? It appears to happen when one of the dudes walks outside the square of cubes, over time they all end up moonwalking.

Also played the Misery game, some lovely stuff in there, I would love to know how to get ragdoll physics turned on in this asset to do some of the cool thigns that demo showed, like blood coming out, cars etc.. is the code for this game available?

Thank for a promising asset!! It is being used in my game which will be submitted into indiecade tonight.

Gaz.

liveuk likes this.
  32. 3

I love the simplicity and the cost of this. And Im going to get it sooner or later, but while playing the town level I encountered a game-breaking bug when the car ran through me. The game flipped around then started doing something kind of awesome, but I just thought you should know. This looks great, It does run a little slow at times when I was looking at a large group of people, and the cars did run into each other at one point.

If you can fix all the bugs and you haven't dropped support. This would look be amazing.

Good luck,

http://imgur.com/RZCl4MT,g79Tlri

Attached Files:

33. Goofy420

Goofy420

So, did this asset die back in february like so many before it and immediately after my purchase

34. 3

Looks like it did, many of the demo scenes (including the city) aren't included in the package. I hate to do it, but with the lack of support I think I'm gonna ask for a return, it has great potential.

Also, the Ai sucks, they run into each other, they don't avoid meshes by themselves, and stopping them from doing so is a huge burden. so, Dont buy this.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  35. Noah-Essa24

Noah-Essa24

I think this is a really good AI, and it has a wonderful potential. Obviously it'll be a very long time before its a really good AI, but it looks really good. But there hasn't been any updates or replys. Can you please answer?

36. kaz2057

kaz2057

I reup this thread about this package.

I see that it isNOT compatible with plane mesh but just with terrain.

Any update about mesh compatibility?

Thanks

37. Deleted User

Deleted User

is it free? im currently working on a project that could use that

38. radiantboy

radiantboy

Can this be used with mecanim ?

39. RTSlang

RTSlang

Any updates or has this been abandoned?

40. 3

Don't get this, its both abandoned by the creator and already broken to begin with

RTSlang likes this.
  41. RTSlang

RTSlang

That's shame. I have owned it for quite some time looking forward to an update where I could use it... Very bait and switch.

twobob likes this.
  42. radiantboy

radiantboy

yeh i gave up on this in favour of using adventure creator to script paths for NPCs. Not as light weight but you can do whatever you like.

43. mizzat_kidd

mizzat_kidd

can anyone give me some pointers on changing the character models so its not all block guys ?

44. liveuk

liveuk

It had a fundamental code error in the first build and that seems to carry on right through as someone said "curNode" is null sometimes and so the error message from Unity "
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AI.Update () (at Assets/Busy World AI/Scripts/AI.cs:57)"
    By the time you fix it you might as well write one as getting used to it's code as it is teaches you the whole thing which on it's own made it worth it.
    But you can just put a if not null before line 57
    var rotation = Quaternion.LookRotation(curNode.transform.position - transform.position);
    transform.rotation = Quaternion.Slerp(transform.rotation, rotation, Time.deltaTime * damping);

To change the default guy delete construction_worker and put your guy there making sure yours has all it's stuff pre build first. Just copy the given example guy construction_worker that's what he is there for.