Search Unity

Building Unity app for Windows Mixed Reality with 2017.2 Beta

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by jariwake, Jul 18, 2017.

1. jariwake

jariwake

I am currently trying to build a minimal app (only the main camera and one cube in the scene) in Unity for Windows Mixed Reality device (got my hands on Acer AH100 device). I am using Unity 2017.2, since as far as I know that is the only public Unity version available that supports Mixed reality (can someone confirm this?)

I am able to build the app in Unity (which results in a visual studio solution). And I am able to deploy that solution on my PC, so the app is now listed as any other UWP app in my Win 10 start menu.

But every time I try to run the app, the Mixed Reality Portal (which is used to run UWP apps with the Mixed Reality devices) goes black and restarts. Or if I try to run the app from unity with the Acer AH100 connected, Unity crashes.

My question is: has anyone here been able to succesfully run any Mixed Reality apps made with Unity? Is the 2017.2 beta the best version to use? I first tried with 5.6.1f1 also, but the results were the same.

Also, does anyone know if it is even possible to run fully immersive VR apps in Mixed Reality, or does it only support those UWP apps that are run on an 2D plane in the Mixed Reality portal?

Any support would be much appreciated!

2. Katerpilet

Katerpilet

I am having the same issue. Any advice? I have the same issue happen even when I open HoloTour.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  3. batpox

batpox

Yes, I have built a few for the AH100 that I just received. One using the Tank! tutorial (I added a perspective camera so I could stand on the desert floor and watch). I also built one with UnityChan so I could see how it did with animations. Both worked well.

I am using Windows 10 OS Build 16257.1 and Unity Preview 2017.2.0b8 (I started with Unity Preview 2017.2.0b6).