Search Unity

Building an asset bundle from a specific asset bundle label

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by omrip32, Apr 24, 2017.

1. omrip32

omrip32

Hi :)
    Let's say I added an asset bundle label to a cube prefab, which I want to create an asset bundle from.
    Is it possible to build an asset bundle from specifically that asset bundle label(instead of building the whole asset bundle databases) ?

Thanks ;)

2. omrip32

omrip32

The issue is that if I have a lot of labeled assets in the asset database and I want to build a single one, it will take ages..

3. liortal

liortal

Are you using the AssetBundleManager code that Unity published? i submitted code to that project that does exactly what you want. check it out here: https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technol...file-view-default#AssetbundlesMenuItems.cs-38

It works by selecting an asset, right clicking it and cilcking "Build asset bundle from current selection". you can modify that code to build asset bundles for particular labels as well.

Even if you are not using this manager, you can go over this code and figure out how it is done.

varan941 and andrew_pixelnauts like this.
  4. omrip32

omrip32

Great Liortal, thanks :)
    By the way, I figured out a way to do this (don't know if it's similiar to yours). It's inefficient but it works:
    1.I detach the assets that I don't want to build from their labels
    2.I build only the ones I want
    3.I re-attach all the labels back.

5. omrip32

omrip32

Hi liortal,
    I checked the script - it's really nice - but it lacks something that I need (I might be wrong):
    I want the dependencies (if they are labeled as well) to be built into separate asset bundles.
    For example, if I have a cube with a material ,and both of these have labels, and I select the cube, I would the script to build 2 asset bundles: one for the cube and one for the material (and only those).
    I'm not sure that the script supports this.
    What do you think?

6. liortal

liortal

The script doesn't do this at the moment. You will need to see if there is any API that allows you to get the dependencies of a given asset bundles, and then add it to the list of AssetBundleBuild objects. I am not really sure you could do that , but i can check.

7. omrip32

omrip32

I dont think the API supports it, at least from what I found but it would be great if you can prove me wrong. Anyway, take a look above at the ineffecient - but working - solution I found to the problem. Its not pretty , but it works

8. omrip32

omrip32

By the way, my solution is done by script of course and not manually

9. liortal

liortal

What you want can be done. I will probably look into that tonight. perhaps it's also a good subject for a new blog post.. what do you think ?

10. omrip32

omrip32

I agree, and I really appreciate your help!
    By the way, do you live in israel? We are currently looking for talented unity developers:)

11. liortal

liortal

I am already employed. PM me, i might be able to help you with finding someone

12. omrip32

omrip32

Hey,
    Did you happen to find a better solution for this?

13. liortal

liortal

Hi, didn't have time to look at it. maybe tomorrow.

14. liortal

liortal

Sorry for the long delay, but here it is (you should be using Unity's AssetBundleManager):
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEditor;
    3. using System.Collections;
    4. using System.Collections.Generic;
    5. using System.Linq;
    7. namespace AssetBundles
    8. {
    9.     public class AssetBundlesMenuItems
    10.     {
    11.         const string kSimulationMode = "Assets/AssetBundles/Simulation Mode";
    13.         [MenuItem(kSimulationMode)]
    14.         public static void ToggleSimulationMode()
    15.         {
    16.             AssetBundleManager.SimulateAssetBundleInEditor = !AssetBundleManager.SimulateAssetBundleInEditor;
    17.         }
    19.         [MenuItem(kSimulationMode, true)]
    20.         public static bool ToggleSimulationModeValidate()
    21.         {
    22.             Menu.SetChecked(kSimulationMode, AssetBundleManager.SimulateAssetBundleInEditor);
    23.             return true;
    24.         }
    26.         [MenuItem("Assets/AssetBundles/Build AssetBundles")]
    27.         static public void BuildAssetBundles()
    28.         {
    29.             BuildScript.BuildAssetBundles();
    30.         }
    32.         [MenuItem ("Assets/AssetBundles/Build Player (for use with engine code stripping)")]
    33.         static public void BuildPlayer ()
    34.         {
    35.             BuildScript.BuildPlayer();
    36.         }
    38.         [MenuItem("Assets/AssetBundles/Build AssetBundles from Selection")]
    39.         private static void BuildBundlesFromSelection()
    40.         {
    41.             // Get all selected *assets*
    42.             var assets = Selection.objects.Where(o => !string.IsNullOrEmpty(AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath(o))).ToArray();
    44.             HashSet<string> processedBundles = new HashSet<string>();
    46.             var assetBundleBuilds = GetBuildsForPaths (assets, processedBundles);
    48.             BuildScript.BuildAssetBundles(assetBundleBuilds.ToArray());
    49.         }
    51.         [MenuItem("Assets/AssetBundles/Build AssetBundles from Selection (including dependencies)")]
    52.         private static void BuildBundlesFromSelectionWithDependencies()
    53.         {
    54.             // Get all selected *assets*
    55.             var assets = Selection.objects.Where(o => !string.IsNullOrEmpty(AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath(o))).ToArray();
    57.             HashSet<string> processedBundles = new HashSet<string>();
    59.             var assetBundleBuilds = GetBuildsForPaths (assets, processedBundles);
    61.             foreach (var o in assets)
    62.             {
    63.                 var paths = AssetDatabase.GetDependencies (new[] { AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath (o) });
    65.                 assetBundleBuilds = assetBundleBuilds.Concat(GetBuildsForPaths (paths.Select (p => AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath<Object> (p)).ToArray (), processedBundles)).ToList();
    66.             }
    68.             BuildScript.BuildAssetBundles(assetBundleBuilds.ToArray());
    69.         }
    71.         private static List<AssetBundleBuild> GetBuildsForPaths(Object[] assets, HashSet<string> processedBundles)
    72.         {
    73.             List<AssetBundleBuild> assetBundleBuilds = new List<AssetBundleBuild>();
    75.             // Get asset bundle names from selection
    76.             foreach (var o in assets)
    77.             {
    78.                 var assetPath = AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath(o);
    79.                 var importer = AssetImporter.GetAtPath(assetPath);
    81.                 if (importer == null)
    82.                 {
    83.                     continue;
    84.                 }
    86.                 // Get asset bundle name & variant
    87.                 var assetBundleName = importer.assetBundleName;
    88.                 var assetBundleVariant = importer.assetBundleVariant;
    89.                 var assetBundleFullName = string.IsNullOrEmpty(assetBundleVariant) ? assetBundleName : assetBundleName + "." + assetBundleVariant;
    91.                 // Only process assetBundleFullName once. No need to add it again.
    92.                 if (processedBundles.Contains(assetBundleFullName))
    93.                 {
    94.                     continue;
    95.                 }
    97.                 processedBundles.Add(assetBundleFullName);
    99.                 AssetBundleBuild build = new AssetBundleBuild();
    101.                 build.assetBundleName = assetBundleName;
    102.                 build.assetBundleVariant = assetBundleVariant;
    103.                 build.assetNames = AssetDatabase.GetAssetPathsFromAssetBundle(assetBundleFullName);
    105.                 assetBundleBuilds.Add(build);
    106.             }
    108.             return assetBundleBuilds;
    109.         }
    110.     }
    111. }
    Let me know if it works for you :)

CloudyVR likes this.
  15. omrip32

omrip32

Thanks, I'll check it out and let you know :):)

16. unicoea

unicoea

Hi
    Nice script!
    I try it. But the message shows:
    "Assets/ScriptsForAssetBundleSystem/Editor/AssetbundlesMenuItems.cs(46,15): error CS1501: No overload for method `BuildAssetBundles' takes `1' arguments"

How can i fix it?

Thank you!
    unicoea

17. liortal

liortal

Which Unity version are you running that on?

18. Nigey

Nigey

Apologies for the necro. I see the work you did @liortal is on BitBucket, while their released version they mention is on GitHub. I can't even see the class 'AssetBundlesMenuItems' on the GitHub version. Not only that, but BuildPipeline.BuildAssetBundle(string name) is now labelled as obsolete in Unity. Any updates on where this is at?

19. liortal

liortal

Haven't followed up on this subject in a while. Share the link to github so I can see what u are referring to.

20. Nigey

Nigey

Well look further into it myself, the Asset Bundle Manager is fully deprecated now and replaced by the Asset Bundle Browser, which doesn't have that feature. And then again that's being replaced by Addressable Assets, coming next year to preview packages at some point. Jeeze I can't keep up lol.

Asset Store (With Links To The GitHub): https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/asset-bundle-browser-93571
    GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/AssetBundles-Browser
    Addressables Youtube:

Adressables Forum: https://forum.unity.com/threads/addressables-are-here.536304/page-6

21. liortal

liortal

the AssetBundleManager was a simple reference implementation for a component that manages loading / unloading of asset bundles. you can still use it, even if it's deprecated or whatever.

The asset bundle browser is just an editor tools for viewing and building asset bundles from what i know. I haven't used it myself.

You woud like to build a specific asset into an asset bundle? is that the functionality you want to add ?

22. Nigey

Nigey

Well really it's just that I'd like to build one asset bundle out of the many many many asset bundles I have. As I may make changes to the content of only one of them, and building that single asset bundle will take me what, 2 minutes? But it will re-build all of them and take out the computer for an hour odd lol.

23. liortal

liortal

i will have a look, maybe i can fix something for u and submit a pull request for that. seems like pretty simple functionality.

Nigey likes this.
  24. Nigey

Nigey

Oh wow thanks man! I wasn't asking for that at all, but am super grateful lol.

25. multimediamarkers

multimediamarkers

Any update on this topic?

26. liortal

liortal

27. Rave-TZ

Rave-TZ

liortal likes this.
  28. liortal

liortal

29. Rave-TZ

Rave-TZ

30. liortal

liortal

interesting. you can examine the bundle to see what's included maybe. let me know if this is a bug, i might have another look.
    Also, i didn't bother to add variants (is anyone using them anyway??) so this probably will not work with them.

31. Spokko

Spokko

I can confirm that it works fine:) however what Rave-TZ is talking about is also taking place. Here is a comparison of the build sizes (on the left i've built the bundles without selection , just all, on the right i've specifically targeted the individual files)

I'll also note that i have Chunk Based Compression (LZ4) enabled and I am bullding iOS bundles.

Edit :
    I've also checked the *.manifest files and they seem to be almost identicall on the files with the exception that the separately selected bundles have a shorter dependancy list at the end but the assets included are line for line the same.

Attached Files:

32. 5argon

5argon

I have similar unanswered case in AAS forum (which is in the end based on Asset Bundle), it may be related https://forum.unity.com/threads/aas...than-not-using-aas-on-apk-compression.685213/ I'm not sure what you are measureing is an Android APK or not, but the compression do not take place on APK packing if it contains a bundle. It's better to not have a bundle inside the APK and let APK compression take place for better app download size. (However larger phone space taken when installed)

33. Rave-TZ

Rave-TZ

My case has some files the same and others vastly different in size (+30mb or so)

34. Rave-TZ

Rave-TZ

Anything you need from me to help resolve the filesize issue? I really want to help out with this since it will save me many many hours in production.

35. Sabrino

Sabrino

The script on BitBucket still works, you need to change the last line to something like
    Code (CSharp):
    1. BuildPipeline.BuildAssetBundles(assetBundleDirectory, assetBundleBuilds.ToArray(), BuildAssetBundleOptions.ChunkBasedCompression, EditorUserBuildSettings.activeBuildTarget);
    Thank you so much @liortal for that script, building all bundles all the time was causing huge problems.

liortal likes this.