Search Unity

Build fails but no 'error' in logs

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by RamSteelwood, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RamSteelwood

RamSteelwood

Hi,
    I'm new to cloud build, and not a particular expert in unity or source control either, so maybe (probably,hopefully) i'm doing something stupid...
    My attempts to cloud build are all failing, but when i look through the logs, there are no specific 'errors' recorded. There are plenty of warnings about deprecated commands in scripts and shaders (that I'm not using) but nothing that indicates the cause of the issue...
    here is an excerpt from the end of the compact log, containing the only red/error bits:
    154: [Unity] Player export failed. Reason: 2 errors
    155: ! build of 'frtestwin' failed. compile failed
    156: publishing finished successfully.
    157: Finished: FAILURE

so it says 2 errors but there aren't any errors in the compact log, and I've looked at the full log as much as i could endure (so i haven't read every line but I've scanned it, looked for red markers, and searched for words like 'error').

I would put this all down to me doing something wrong with the source control config, however my initial builds did work. I had a pretty simple test scene (but with most of the basic functions, 3rd party assets and requirements in place) when i first setup the source control and then cloud build. The scenes built ok, they were just missing some textures and stuff (that i had left in some temp folders that i excluded from source control)...but this just demonstrates to me how the cloud build can adapt to some missing things anyway.
    Since then I've created a new scene, updated and added assets and whatnot, and committed it all to source control...I've switched between branches in source control and the game will run in unity and i can build locally fine, so i'm pretty confident everything that's needed is in the source control.

but still my builds fail.

I've tried clean builds, i've tried deleting and recreating the target builds, I've enabled and disabled the library cache. I've tried building to win32, win64 and webgl, i've tried building to specific versions of unity ( using the 'latest' 5.4, the 5.4 version to match my install, 5.3 version to match my previous install when i started the project etc.), I've tried building from the different branches in my source control. I've also tried specifically building the original test scene instead of my new scene, and it still fails, when nothing with it has really changed since it did build.

So I'm thoroughly confused. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions that would be great. Also, if there are any known constraints that could stop a build working, like say if a texture was over x MB or whatever, that would be handy to know as there could be stuff like that sitting in the folders of the example assets I've included...

If you're still reading after all that, thanks for your time!

Brad-Keys likes this.
  2. GalxyzStudios

GalxyzStudios

Started getting the same issued. Everything looks fine, no errors and finishes failed.

3. ayf

ayf

I am also having a similar problem here. Locally everything build & runs fine but on cloud build I started getting this:

20237: [Unity] *** Cancelled 'Build.Player.iOSSupport' in 263 seconds (262629 ms)
    20238: [Unity] Player export failed. Reason: 2 errors

Also tried disabling library caching, changing a few build options, etc. to no avail. I'd appreciate if someone from Unity could look into this...

4. mikensecretlocation

mikensecretlocation

We've been getting this too. Used to work but had no luck building at all today. Log shows no errors until:

6429: [Unity] *** Cancelled 'Build.Player.iOSSupport' in 1 seconds (811 ms)
    6430: [Unity] Player export failed. Reason: 2 errors

Stops there on the Unity export. Doesn't even get to XCode or Android building.

5. inear_sthlm

inear_sthlm

Same thing here on iOS. Could the "Use the latest version" setting be causing this? When going back to the latest working build in the history tab it seems like that running xcode 7.0, instead of 7.3.1 as in the failing build. What is the best practice for long term projects, use the default setting "latest version" or manually set it to avoid broken automated processes when the cloud build system bumps the version?

6. Brad-Keys

Brad-Keys

We are also experiencing this problem as of yesterday. Local builds are still working fine. Had no issues with cloud build prior to this.

7. inear_sthlm

inear_sthlm

8. mikensecretlocation

mikensecretlocation

9. comporellon

comporellon

I am also getting this error, both on Android and iOS.

[Unity] Player export failed. Reason: 2 errors

I have many yellow warnings but no red error in the compact log, so there's really no way to figure out what are those two errors. Local builds also work fine for me though, but I'm depending on the Cloud Build for iOS, as I am a Windows user.

10. RamSteelwood

RamSteelwood

I've been away for a few days, come back and saw all the replies and hoped for a solution...still, at least we can all suffer together! :)

11. inear_sthlm

inear_sthlm

Did some more testing. I wonder if the lack of errors in above descriptions is because you look in the compact log? For me, that is full of yellow, and finishing with "2 errors generated", and failing. Then looking in the "Full log", showing the "il2cpp-config.h:181:18: note: expanded from macro 'NORETURN'"-error. When building locally to xcode with the same versions, I also get the NORETURN code inlined into il2cpp-config.h. I can then delete that code and compile again, and it works. But how can you do that in UCB? Is it possible to edit the source of that file in a PostProcess? (http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptRefer...te.html?_ga=1.115310087.1432168935.1440591229)

12. mikensecretlocation

mikensecretlocation

Nope, full logs. No error except for the error saying there were 2 errors. I have a ticket with Unity support and they said:

and then nothing since (that was 8 days ago.)

13. FatWednesday

FatWednesday

Whilst I'm not using the cloud build services, I am now also being hit with this same issue. I've taken a project that builds fine in 5.3.6 and branched it to test 5.4.1, both android and iOS on our build server and local builds are failing with this same mysterious "2 errors" message, when the only things that look like errors appear in the working 5.3.6 logs as well.

Been trying to track this down for a few days now with almost no luck. For some reason this morning iOS builds seem to now be getting passed this "2 errors" issue and are now failing later down the line due to some xcode/gym issues. But I can't work out why iOS has started to work as no changes to the project have occurred since builds that were failing.

It seems like it is not the unity version in and of itself however, as we have a practically blank template project that is running builds on 5.4.1 without any problems at all.

If @mikensecretlocation can update us if/when unity provide more information that would be great.

14. JasonVSG

JasonVSG

sigh, I'm also now having the problem as of yesterday. No found errors on a full report log. Though I have 186 errors. However I know that this 186 was specifically from PlayMaker caused a failure 10 or so builds ago and was resolved and there is no more PlayMaker errors.

I did a search for the NORETURN issue, but found no such issue in the full log. :\
    I also did a full clean build all. With no success.

If anyone has found any other solutions it would be fantastic to hear.

15. JasonVSG

JasonVSG

hmm. so I did some experimenting. I decided to add a new build configuration to the project. I tried the new build configuration. The new build failed, however the build failed with the same 186 errors, AND there were error logs. I don't know if this solution is the same for other people. But it's something to try out.

From just an observation it seems the error lines are not being added to the log.

16. ayf

ayf

I just tried adding a new build configuration as was suggested and got the same error as before:

20779: [Unity] *** Cancelled 'Build.Player.iOSSupport' in 276 seconds (276190 ms)
    20780: [Unity] Player export failed. Reason: 2 errors
    20799: ! Unity player export failed!
    20800: ! build of 'new-ios' failed. compile failed
    20808: Build step 'Execute shell' marked build as failure
    20809: postbuildstatus finished successfully.
    20810: Finished: FAILURE

There are no errors in the full logs and I believe I've tried everything I could try at this point. Needless to say local builds are just fine and I am only seeing this in the cloud builds. Attaching the full log in case it's useful to someone from Unity (Assuming they are interested in fixing this).

Attached Files:

17. marcus-qiiwi

marcus-qiiwi

We've had the same problem with one project since mid July, another one started behaving this way about two weeks ago.

I have two long support cases with Cloud Build, and after a lot of testing with different Unity versions they are now going to try and reproduce the errors.

Will get back to you with whatever response I get.

18. marcus-qiiwi

marcus-qiiwi

Got an answer from Unity, next things to try is:

"We don't support using CocoaPods in Cloud Build at this time, so could you please try committing the relevant SDK files you need directly to the project and see if the build succeeds afterwards?"

Since Android builds fail as well i doubt it will be the solution. Let me know if it works for any of you!

19. ayf

ayf

Thanks for the suggestion but it doesn't work for me, I don't use Cocoa pods or any external SDK, just pure Unity. Did they say anything about how to understand what is wrong when there are no errors being logged in the build output?

20. PedroGV

PedroGV

Hi, I'm experiencing the exact same issue for Android builds. The project does not consume external SDKs nor plugins and yet the output is:

[Unity] UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    [Unity] Player export failed. Reason: 2 errors
    ! build of 'default-android' failed. compile failed
    publishing finished successfully.

21. PedroGV

PedroGV

What puzzles me, besides the fact that the 2 errors do not appear in the logs, is the presence of these two sentences: "Player export failed" vs. "publishing finished successfully".

22. PedroGV

PedroGV

I have tried again with a previous version of Unity (v5.3.6p7) and this time I get the following output:

/BUILD_PATH/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.1/gems/excon-0.37.0/lib/excon/middlewares/expects.rb:6:in `response_call': The requested object was not found. (Bvr::API::Errors::RequestFailed)
    436: from /BUILD_PATH/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.1/gems/excon-0.37.0/lib/excon/middlewares/idempotent.rb:12:in `error_call'
    437: from /BUILD_PATH/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.1/gems/excon-0.37.0/lib/excon/middlewares/base.rb:10:in `error_call'
    438: from /BUILD_PATH/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.1/gems/excon-0.37.0/lib/excon/middlewares/base.rb:10:in `error_call'
    439: from /BUILD_PATH/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.1/gems/excon-0.37.0/lib/excon/middlewares/idempotent.rb:12:in `error_call'
    440: from /BUILD_PATH/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.1/gems/excon-0.37.0/lib/excon/middlewares/base.rb:10:in `error_call'
    441: from /BUILD_PATH/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.1/gems/excon-0.37.0/lib/excon/middlewares/base.rb:10:in `error_call'
    442: from /BUILD_PATH/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.1/gems/excon-0.37.0/lib/excon/middlewares/idempotent.rb:12:in `error_call'
    443: from /BUILD_PATH/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.1/gems/excon-0.37.0/lib/excon/middlewares/base.rb:10:in `error_call'
    444: from /BUILD_PATH/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.1/gems/excon-0.37.0/lib/excon/middlewares/base.rb:10:in `error_call'
    445: /BUILD_PATH/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.1/gems/excon-0.37.0/lib/excon/middlewares/expects.rb:6:in `response_call': The requested object was not found. (Bvr::API::Errors::RequestFailed)

Can anyone on the CloudBuild team shed a light on this issues?

23. PedroGV

PedroGV

In my case it worked only for v5.3.5f1.

24. PedroGV

PedroGV

Thanks to @dannyd I could recompile the project successfully with v5.4.

The error was present in the logs but not highlighted as such:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. PlayerSettings Validation: Requested build target group (15) doesn't exist; #define symbols for scripting won't be added.
    This was the offending lines were two with something like:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. PlayerSettings.SetScriptingDefineSymbolsForGroup (BuildTargetGroup.WP8, defines);
    So, to fix it, I changed BuildTargetGroup.WP8 to BuildTargetGroup.WSA in all lines and presto! (instead of comment them out) No more errors when cloud-building.

25. The_BenEvans

The_BenEvans

We've been experiencing this for the past 2 days. Lot's of commits as there's multiple people working on the project, so don't know if it's something our end that's stopped it building, but I'd be surprised if it was.

We've tried multiple mixes of Clean Builds, different branches, different Unity versions, and all have failed with:

Code (CSharp):
    1. 1149: [Unity] Player export failed. Reason: 2 errors
    2. 1150: ! build of 'ios-ben_dev' failed. compile failed
    3. 1151: publishing finished successfully.
    4. 1152: Finished: FAILURE
    If errors aren't being formatted correctly, what sort of things can we search for to find them in the full log?

26. mollermanden

mollermanden

Joining in on this issue as well.
    I know it might be unrelated but I haven't been able to produce a succesful build for Android or iOS on Cloud Build for the last 5 days. Locally i have no problem with building for any of the platforms.

For iOS my logfile ends with the exact same lines as @The_BenEvans above (except for the 'ios-ben_dev' part of course) but for Android it looks a bit different:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. 100: [Unity] [usbmuxd] Error:
    2. 101: ! build of 'android' failed. compile failed
    3. 102: publishing finished successfully.
    4. 103: Finished: FAILURE
    I know it might be unrelated as the message is slightly different from iOS, but the errors started occurring at the same time and are now thrown on every build.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  27. The_BenEvans

The_BenEvans

So for us it turned out to be a missing texture in a terrain asset, it was making the occasional error in editor but was ignored. (Had to click on empty space to select an unseeable texture box and then remove it)

Lesson of the day is: don't ignore any errors!

The error log was being written in the cloud build log but wasn't formatted and therefore very easy to miss in 17,000+ lines of log.

Keep in mind that cloud build does run some of your scripts when building, so it might be errors from that causing failures for you? (Hopefully someone on the team can verify that or make it clearer)

Hope this helps someone!

RamSteelwood likes this.
  28. mollermanden

mollermanden

Thanks for the update @The_BenEvans

Would it be possible for you to post the logline here so we can see what the error look like and maybe use it as a step to traverse our own logs?

29. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

@The_BenEvans. Thanks for following up! I'm assuming that error is one like "TerrainData is missing splat texture"?

@mollermanden: Here is the error from your build:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [Unity] Plugin 'VuforiaWrapper.dll' is used from several locations:
    2. [Unity]  Assets/Plugins/x64/VuforiaWrapper.dll would be copied to <PluginPath>/VuforiaWrapper.dll
    3. [Unity]  Assets/Plugins/x86/VuforiaWrapper.dll would be copied to <PluginPath>/VuforiaWrapper.dll
    4. [Unity] Please fix plugin settings and try again.
    I will get both of these messages added to our error highlighting to make that more apparent.

mollermanden likes this.
  30. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

For others that are still having issues locating errors in your logs, here is somewhere to start. Search for "BuildPipeline:BuildPlayerInternalNoCheck" in your full log. Typically an error or warning will be printed just above this and should help you determine potential causes of failure. These aren't all errors that will necessarily fail a build, but errors that DO fail the build typically show up in that format.

31. PedroGV

PedroGV

@dannyd: good to know. Thanks.

Could "BuildPipeline:BuildPlayerInternalNoCheck" appear underlined (or highlighted in some way) in the logs? That way it could be easier to identify potential errors without traversing/reading through the whole log.

32. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

Ya we are discussing the right way to handle that - maybe highlighting that message with some context or something.

Gwom and PedroGV like this.
  33. The_BenEvans

The_BenEvans

@mollermanden @dannyd Yep, error from log was "8140: [Unity] TerrainData is missing splat texture 3."

It's mentioned 3 times in the logs, if that helps at all.

34. mollermanden

mollermanden

@dannyd Perfect, thanks! I just got it through this post over at Vuforias forum: https://developer.vuforia.com/forum...cloud-build-not-working-vuforia-6-unity-540f3

It would be so cool if you guys marks that kind of error more clearly. I've been building like a crazy for quite a while:)

@The_BenEvans: Thanks for following up. As mine error wasn't related to textures at all it wasn't really a help but thanks anyway:)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  35. unitychrism

unitychrism

Looks like we will be marking that in some fashion so that errors will be easier to discover in the log. I will post about that happening in an upcoming 'Monthly Update' thread to keep you all posted on our latest changes/features.

GarthSmith likes this.
  36. ink13

ink13

Hi, I'm also suffering from my game not building but not being able to highlight what's gone wrong.

At the completion of the build I get this message;

Code (CSharp):
    1. 20546: [Unity] ##unity-automation:{"messageType":"MemoryLeaks","allocatedMemory":69223,"memoryLabels":[{"Default":96},{"Thread":16},{"Manager":216},{"Shader":13824},{"GfxDevice":192},{"Physics":8},{"Renderer":11232},{"String":36036},{"DynamicArray":52},{"ScriptManager":1792},{"VR":3008},{"EditorUtility":328},{"AssetImporter":696},{"RestService":64},{"License":959},{"UnityConnect":704}]}
    2. 20547: ! Unity player export failed!
    3. 20548: ! build of 'default-ios' failed. compile failed
    4. 20549: Publishing build 356 of ink13/i-monster for target 'default-ios'...
    5. 20550: publishing finished successfully.
    I'm unsure if that's pointing at an error specifically?
    This evening I'm going through and removing any errors that precede; BuildPipeline:BuildPlayerInternalNoCheck.
    But a clue as to if the above is part of the issue would be awesome. Or just any clue... I'm abit stuck on it. :)

the link to the actual is;

CHANGES: https://developer.cloud.unity3d.com...r/buildtargets/default-ios/builds/356/changes

THE LOG: https://developer.cloud.unity3d.com...nster/buildtargets/default-ios/builds/356/log

37. mollermanden

mollermanden

@ink13 Have you been searching for the error related to plugins I was experiencing mentioned above?
    Try search your full logs for i.e. "Please fix plugin settings and try again" and see if it matches anything.

38. ink13

ink13

There are no hits on 'plug-in' or anything similar.
    I get
    Code (CSharp):
    1. 7982: [Unity] Ignoring '/UNITY_PATH/Unity/Unity-5_4_1f1/Unity.app/Contents/UnityExtensions/Unity/UnityAnalytics/UnityEngine.Analytics.dll' because we're compiling for Editor
    2. 7983: [Unity] Ignoring '/UNITY_PATH/Unity/Unity-5_4_1f1/Unity.app/Contents/UnityExtensions/Unity/UnityPurchasing/UnityEngine.Purchasing.dll' because we're compiling for Editor
    3. 7984: [Unity] Ignoring '/UNITY_PATH/Unity/Unity-5_4_1f1/Unity.app/Contents/UnityExtensions/Unity/UnityAnalytics/UnityEngine.Analytics.dll' because we're compiling for Editor
    4. 7985: [Unity] Ignoring '/UNITY_PATH/Unity/Unity-5_4_1f1/Unity.app/Contents/UnityExtensions/Unity/UnityPurchasing/UnityEngine.Purchasing.dll' because we're compiling for Editor
    5. 7986: [Unity] - starting compile Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-CSharp.dll, for buildtarget 9
    6. 7987: [Unity] Unloading 2 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)
    7. 7988: [Unity] System memory in use before: 199.0 MB.
    8. 7989: [Unity] System memory in use after: 199.4 MB.
    9. 7990: [Unity] Unloading 2 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 8198.
    10. 7991: [Unity] Total: 56.297462 ms (FindLiveObjects: 1.191818 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.898312 ms MarkObjects: 51.474400 ms  DeleteObjects: 2.730703 ms)
    11. 7992: [Unity] *** Cancelled 'Build.Player.iOSSupport' in 47 seconds (46608 ms)
    12. 7993: [Unity] Player export failed. Reason: 4 errors

but the log itself is just warnings. No big red's to pinpoint where to look...

I don't know. Maybe i'm tired... I can't figure it out though.

39. ink13

ink13

@dannyd ; i noticed your prowess in another channel for something similar. is there any chance you could take a look?

40. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

@ink13: it's these:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [Unity] Controller 'Monster01': Transition '' in state 'dash' uses parameter 'Idle' which does not exist in controller.
    2. [Unity] Controller 'Monster01': Transition '' in state 'AnyState' uses parameter 'Run' which does not exist in controller

mollermanden likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.