Search Unity

[BUG] Issue in Unity 5.5.1 when using Ads from Services window (use asset package)

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by mikaisomaa, Jan 25, 2017.

1. mikaisomaa

mikaisomaa

Unity Technologies

As the title says - we've noticed some issues with the Services window -integration for Unity Ads.

This only applies to projects using Ads from the services window - projects that have the Asset Store integration for Unity Ads are safe.

Avoid updating to Unity 5.5.1 if you're integrating Ads from services - or use the Asset Store package.

More information will follow under this thread.

Edit: issue was fixed, update your editor: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/b...ads-from-services-window.453084/#post-2967990

This is also fixed in 5.5.2

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  2. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

I have a question regarding the built in ads. Are the patches using the latest version?
    Or if one wants to use the latest version, should use the asset one?

3. FritzH

FritzH

Developer Relations

If you are using the latest version of Unity (5.5.1), we recommend using the asset package integration.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/66123

4. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

5. A_Savvidis

A_Savvidis

Thank you for the info
    I've been learning ads yesterday with 5.5.1
    I'll try to asset store SDK today

PS. Please remember to update the info on the asset store because it
    guides you to use the services ads if you are on new versions of Unity

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  6. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

Just a quick update, the issue has been fixed and verified in Unity 5.5.1p2, which should ship soon.

Some additional information on this issue. The issue appears when building and deploying an .ipa file to the iOS device, just running from Xcode doesn't trigger the issue. And since our testing, including automation, would just run from Xcode or similar command line task, we didn't catch this issue during our internal testing for new Unity versions. And was caused by a change to code stripping in Unity, which affected the Ads SDK. We will ofc cover this scenario in testing from now on :)

/Rasmus

7. RichCodes

RichCodes

Thanks for the update.

"Build and Run" to test burnt us too. It wasn't until someone tried the live version on the store that we noticed the ads weren't working. :(

I test sporadically via TestFlight now just to make certain everything works, now that I know this is possible!

8. T2GGames

T2GGames

So it's safe to use 5.5.1f1 with the services window integration for Unity Ads if I just want to export apk file right ?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  9. RichCodes

RichCodes

@hejing1983 This issue only affects iOS. You are safe to build to Android.

10. ashwanidv100

ashwanidv100

I am using this script to show real time ads in my app , I added this script to my gameobject
    and enable ads test mode than every thing working fine ... but when I disable ads test mode from my service window in doesn't show ads . I am building for android .

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;
    using UnityEngine.Advertisements; // Using the Unity Ads namespace.

public class ShowAdOnStart : MonoBehaviour
    {
    #if !UNITY_ADS // If the Ads service is not enabled...
    public string gameId; // Set this value from the inspector.
    public bool enableTestMode = true;
    #endif

IEnumerator Start ()
    {
    #if !UNITY_ADS // If the Ads service is not enabled...
    if (Advertisement.isSupported) { // If runtime platform is supported...
    Advertisement.Initialize(gameId, enableTestMode); // ...initialize.
    }
    #endif

// Wait until Unity Ads is initialized,
    // and the default ad placement is ready.
    while (!Advertisement.isInitialized || !Advertisement.IsReady()) {
    yield return new WaitForSeconds(0.5f);
    }

// Show the default ad placement.
    Advertisement.Show();
    }
    }

mochadwi20 likes this.
  11. ina

ina

Just checking that this issue should be resolved for 5.5.1p4?

12. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

ina likes this.
  13. Gnejs

Gnejs

How can this just be a bug post in the forums? I just discovered the effects of the bug today when integrating Ads into my new App and it turns out it's been around for some time.
    I had a look at one of the games that I updated 20 days ago and true enough, Ads are NOT working in the Game.
    So you have a Bug that stops ALL Ad monetization for an entire platform and you don't even warn the developers about it? Who even checks this forum on a regular basis? I've never even been in this subforum before...
    Also.. Cloud Build is still using the bugged version for builds so even if I build it today with "Always Use Latest 5.x" it will still build it with the bugged version and Ads will NOT work. This is a F***ing disaster. My confidence in Unity just took a big hit...

PierreRAFFA and ina like this.
  14. ina

ina

I agree that there should be a global notice to all Unity ads users - or a system for notifying affected users of mission critical bugs. The forums are disorganized and you can't find the post that is relevant to your issue unless you actually use a third party search engine to find it (and even then sometimes the links are outdated). Unity Answers is, unfortunately, quite borked as well. These tools are not hard to fix for any standard full stack developer, but I suppose they aren't considered core product, so no one cares to fix it.

In balance, supposedly Unity makes so much from Unity ads that it funds the entire company to the point where they don't even need to charge for the actual IDE... but they still charge it since people are willing to pay for a game engine. Maybe they noticed a dip in $$$$$ when people re-building their game with the last few sub-versions of Unity could not get ads to monetize.

Gnejs likes this.
  15. pudd1nG

pudd1nG

This is extremely confusing, this bug breaks every single IOS services advertisement integration and there's nothing more than a forum post to explain it.

It takes ~2 weeks to have an app approved into the app store, so even at best case scenario you're stripping developers (and yourselves..) from ad revenue for easily 14 days without proper communication about this issue. Why is there no message within the unity ads dashboard?

Very lucky I saw this thread, else I'd have some EXTREMELY pissed off people to deal with

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    QuantumCalzone and Gnejs like this.
  16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi there, im using same apps that i created before using 5.4.1 and run at the latest version, please read "latest version". In the latest version unityadseditor doesn't initialize in console window even this log doesn't show in console window. But if i open it using 5.4.1 in the console window will say unityads initialize with blablaba ID, true.
    The bad news is my apps already opened in the latest version but now it crashed open in the old version, test with 5.4.1 and 5.4.4. Totally crash. How do i fix this?

For more information, i build using ios build, unityads integrated. Import from package that create from latest version before into 5.4.1 or 5.4.4 also crash when run.

Yes, 5.5.2

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2017
  17. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

Latest version = Unity 5.5.2?

18. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

It is not guaranteed that a downgrade in editors will always work with projects.
    When you say "Import from package" do you mean the Unity Ads package from the asset store?
    You can't have the built in ads enabled and then import the asset store as well.

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

I think im not disable the build in ads when export package. Thats why it crash when i import and run in older version. Do i have anoyher option to make it work at low version again? Since the original file project already crash when i opened it using low version. This unityads problem is real pain, always have a new problem in every new version, this is ridiculous

forget it, i already make it work again but my question is not yet answer. im using 5.5.1p4 now, but when i run, theres no "UnityAdsEditor: Initialize(MYIDNUMBER, True); UnityEditor.Advertisements.UnityAdsEditor.EditorOnLoad()" log in console but it showed in old version unity 5.4.1 before. I already tried such as, turn on/off Enable builtin Ads extension, turn off the builtin ads extension and import unity ads package but it still same.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2017
  20. Marceloo25

Marceloo25

Is this problem still in 5.5.1f1?
    Because I'm trying to get a simple showAdOnStart script to work and I even used the code samples, I attached the script to the main camera but it never shows the ad when I run it. Its like it gets stuck on the isReady function. But, I have internet connection so I dont understand. The same code worked for me a week ago but now it doesnt.

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

i already solve my problem.

22. thedarcsage

thedarcsage

Hope this helps:
    I'm using Unity 5.5.1f1, it didn't work at first, but eventually I got it to work. In short, I toggled the Ads Service from within the Editor OFF then back ON.

Here's what I did.
    I set it up according to these guides.
    https://unity3d.com/services/ads/quick-start-guide
    https://unityads.unity3d.com/help/monetization/integration-guide-unity

When I pressed play with the ShowAdOnStart script, it didn't play on Start. After finding this thread, I toggled the Ads Service to OFF. Visual Studio asked me to save and Reload, so I did. Then I toggled the Ads Service back to ON to try again. After pressing Play, the ad played on Start as well as with the button I had it attached to. I tested it several times by removing and adding back the Advertisement.Show() part under Start(), and it worked.

23. mikeownz

mikeownz

Unity Ads work perfectly on Android. iOS is broken. I upgraded to Unity 5.6. Still not working. I am implementing Ads using the Service Window. I will try downloading Unity Ads Plug In from the Asset Store and try it that way. I had no idea there are two ways to implement Unity Ads (Asset Store Plug In and Service Window). Not very straightforward. Should really keep it to one...especially since only one of them seems to be working.

So much time wasted trying to get my game to play Ads on iOS...

24. mikeownz

mikeownz

Just to confirm, Unity Ads SDK from the Asset Store works perfectly for my game on iOS.

I would avoid implementing Unity Ads using the Service Window in Unity.

25. punkrockchicken

punkrockchicken

I have updated editor to 5.5.2p4 and Rewarded Ads still dont show. Ne errors, no messages. Advertisement.IsReady ("rewardedVideo") returns False
    I build the app to Android

26. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Unitys own ad service doesnt work.

27. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

I just started up my own game and ads triggered as they should.

28. FritzH

FritzH

Developer Relations

This sounds like a separate issue. Please check the following:
    1. Ads initializing properly, with a valid game ID
    2. Ads initializing fully before requesting an ad
    3. Any placements referenced in your code are correct (case sensitive)
    If the problem persists, please contact us at unityads-support@unity3d.com

29. Imre

Imre

We are having crashes on iOS app startup when using UnityAds (Unity 5.5.3)
    Adding following line will crash iOS at startup.

InitializeVideo(GAMEID, true);

30. Rawlin

Rawlin

Not sure if this is the right place.
    Unity Ads was working fine for me yesterday, today ads disappeared and now I can't get it to work at all. Using unity 5.6 getting this error. I have build settings set to android and ads are enabled and linked. Everything was working fine yesterday. I've searched all day but found nothing that have solved my problem. I can't use using UnityEngine.Advertisements; even though ads are enabled and the builtin ads extension is enabled as well.

FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'UnityEngine.Advertisements, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'UnityEngine.Advertisements, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethodInfo.GetMethodInfo (IntPtr handle) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:59)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethodInfo.GetAttributes (IntPtr handle) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:75)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.get_Attributes () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:245)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.get_IsSpecialName () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:184)
    UnityEditor.Build.BuildPipelineInterfaces.InitializeBuildCallbacks (Boolean findBuildProcessors, Boolean findSceneProcessors) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/BuildPipelineInterfaces.cs:149)

31. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

I'm getting "`Advertisements' does not exist in the namespace `UnityEngine'" in the console, I have the ads activated in the services window and also "Allow builtin Ads extension", is this related? I'm in 5.6.0f3.

32. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Are you also using the asset pack from the asset store? You can only use one of the two. It's built-in ads, or the asset.

33. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

I was trying to use the builtin but I was getting that error, then I turned off the builtin and imported the one from the asset store.

34. Numior

Numior

Same thing here with v5.6.1. Working with a migrated project, that was un-linked from Unity Services and namespace was resolving fine, though it didn't have Unity Ads package installed and there was no way to disable built-in support.
    Today we've re-linked the project with Unity Services and Ads section was disabled. After re-enabling the Ads and builtin option those errors appeared and reference to UnityEngine.Advertisements is lost.
    However, downloading and using Unity Ads package from the store does indeed fix the issue, only requires manual initialization.

Marceta likes this.
  35. Marceta

Marceta

Same here (5.6.1p1), why working with Unity always must be frustrating and waste of time...

36. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

I honestly don't know why the ads should be in the services panel.
    It looks better to me if the Ads are just in the Asset Store, i believe that way would be easier to make it into a more robust solution than having to please two forks.
    I'm only using the Asset package and so far they work.

37. PZ2100

PZ2100

I've had a similar issue (Unity 5.61f1) after getting a game from another developer (who was previously showing Unity ads) and attempting to make the game show Unity ads for my account.

The issue is basically as follows:
    1. after you open the Unity project from a different account and open Services window, it shows an error message, prompting to bind the game to a different Unity Project ID
    2. you do that, and everything is supposed to work fine, but instead UnityEngine.Advertisements namespace is not found and you can't build the game anymore - THIS IS A BUG IN UNITY
    3. if you disable/re-enable ads and close/reopen Unity, the issue may go away for a short while and let you run the game in the editor, but if you attempt to build it for Android or switch platform to iOS or Android, UnityEngine.Advertisements isn't found again and the scripts don't compile.
    4. now, if you go to Asset Store and import the Unity Ads plugin (version 2.0), UnityEngine.Advertisements is now found fine, and the game builds, and you can run it on an Android device, BUT Unity ads will never show!
    5. even if you at this point switch back to the previous account and attempt to show ads from the previous Unity Project ID, the same stuff happens. At this point you are screwed, ads will never show.
    So, basically, attempting to change Unity Project ID or attempting to bind the game from a different account messes up everything irreversibly (you will have to revert the project to a previous state with your version control system)

After 4 hours of trial-and-error I managed to find a workaround:
    1. while Unity is closed, deleted:
    Assets/ProjectSetting/UnityConnectSetting.asset
    Assets/ProjectSetting/UnityAdsSetting.asset
    the whole Library folder
    2. opened the project from my account and bound Services to my new account and a Unity Project ID on it (the same one I was using in the previous attempts)

This time the scripts compile fine, the project builds and the game shows Unity Ads for the new account.

I hope this helps someone until this bug in Unity is fixed.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  38. Sergey_Droba

Sergey_Droba

Updating doesn't help.
    Unity ads enabled but UNITY_ADS derective doesn’t works.
    Looks like nothing happened when you enable Unity ads.
    2017-06-01_16-24-01.png

39. Sergey_Droba

Sergey_Droba

Looks like I found how to fix it!
    No need to update the project to 5.6.1.
    You should create new project in 5.6.1 and import all assets.
    After that everything works fine!
    Thank you!

40. Sergey_Droba

Sergey_Droba

Problem return if you try to relink your project from Services settings.
    Problem was in ProjectSettings/ UnityConnectSettings.asset file.
    I replaced UnityConnectSettings.asset from new created project and it works.

Developers of Unity ADS please take a look at this problem.

unity-nikkolai likes this.
  41. Emre_U

Emre_U

I have the same problem. IOS ads are not showing up with 5.6.1f1 . And I have updated it from 5.5.1 to make IOS ads works. Looks like I Should have read more before upgrading to another problematic build. I am desperately waiting for a fix from Unity but in the mean time,

@Sergey_Droba , can you elaborate a little bit more? Should I create another project? Enable its ads and link it to my game, then close it, take its UnityConnectSettings.asset and paste to my real project?

Edit: I have read somewhere that this bug is not gonna haunt me if I use the Unity Ads from Asset Store, I am not sure but I think it worth a shot. Because damn editor always shows ads as it is supposed to show. If you are using Unity Ads from the store don't forget to correctly initialize your app in a start method somewhere.

Edit2: Yeah looks like asset store sdk is the best way https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...uilds-published-to-testflight-slash-app-store

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  42. Sergey_Droba

Sergey_Droba

@Emre_U at first try to make it works in Unity editor. You should have message in console like this:
    UnityAdsEditor: Initialize(xxxxxxxxxx, False);
    If you got it in editor it should works on device also.

Emre_U likes this.
  43. wallacewakko

wallacewakko

Hey people, I've had similar issues from this thread (Unity 5.6.0). After this day doing a lot of different things - including use the UnityAds from Assets Store, wich not work because it was conflicting with other libraries - I found the solution doing some single steps:

1 - Disconnect my user from Unity
    2 - Close Unity;
    3 - Delete ProjectSetting/UnityConnectSetting.asset;
    4 - Open Unity, Logging my user again;
    5 - At this point, all the Unity Services should be deactivated. Activate what you will use and voilá! Problem solved!

44. kk99

kk99

agree but it is not that tragic

If you were using Integrated Ads (I guess we all do) and when you updated your project to 5.5.1 the Ads are still working (I am using this Version now for months).

However, if you disable and enable the integrated Ads (so toggling the checkbox) then the Ads stop working.

You have to manually download the Unity Ads from the Asset Store

45. trigraph

trigraph

@wallacewakko Thanks, those instructions gave me enough of a hint to get things going. In my case I couldn't for the life of me get the built-in ad system namespace to work for iOS... made sure the extension checkbox was good, tried updating unity to 5.6.2f1, tried on PC and Mac, etc.

Unfortunately when I deleted UnityConnectSetting.asset all hell broke loose... largely cuz I would have had to ifdef a lot of my ad/IAP code out so I didn't get a ton of errors. In any case, the services tab was hooped.

My solution was similar to yours:
    1) Disconnect my user from Unity
    2) Close Unity.
    3) Delete UnityConnectSettings
    4) Open Unity, login, and create a new project (under the same organization as the project ur trying to fix). Turn on the services you want.
    5) Take the new UnityConnectSettings.asset and copy it over to the project you're trying to fix.
    6) Open the project, and in the services tab reenter the correct iOS and Android game IDs as appropriate.
    7) Optional. Go ahead and archive the temp project in ur Unity account once it's all working.

Here's what I think happened (a hint for when Unity Engineers fix this). Originally my project was Android only... so when I turned on Services I had only installed the Android support. I suspect installing the iOS support later was the issue and the UnityConnectSetting asset simply had no fields for iOS. At the very least, turning the checkbox off and on should have enabled it for all installed platforms, but didn't.

I have only tested an Android build after all this to make sure I'm still being served Ads (not yet registered as an iOS dev ), but at least the extension now seems to be enabled for iOS :)
    Update: Yes, works fine on iOS too.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    ectarun and unity-nikkolai like this.
  46. Wahooney

Wahooney

This is still an issue in Unity 2017.1, is anyone working to fix this?
    Or is Ad Support reverting to Asset Store based?

EDIT:
    My issue is as follows:
    After changing the organization of the app I'm developing, built-in ads stopped working (ie. any calls to UnityEngine.Advertisements would say that it doesn't exist) and nothing I did would bring them back. I added the Ad SDK from Asset Store and it worked fine for a while, now occasionally Unity will report that UnityEngine.Advetisements is defined multiple times, and removing the Asset Store version would clear the double definition, but would bring the "doesn't exist" exception. I eventually got it working with the Asset Store version, but don't ask me how :p

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  47. sngdan

sngdan

really annoying...I thought I had it right after wasting a day trying different options and it's back again

can not compile project anymore due to all the ad related assembly reference issues.

It worked yesterday, nothing change in the project. Is this related to a timeout / restart of the internet connection, where Unity fails to register with services and once this is done somehow even if connected again the advertisement assemblies are lost?

Edit:
    It seem like the Project Settings change automatically to wrong values. In case you have issues try this....
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/state-and-the-future-of-the-unity-ads-services-integration.494936/

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  48. CalaveraX

CalaveraX

Is there any chance to FORCE unity to build those dlls???
    I'm with another project now that i need to implement Unity Ads... i'm using EXACTLY the same scripts that i use on my other proyect that has working unityAds, and on this project i'm facing the same issue...

I'm like an idiot deleting libraries... reimporting the entire project...
    Disable, Enable Ads, Enable/disablee "Enable built-in ads extensions" And nothing happens...

I'm loosing my mind to unity not working as intended.... PLEASE Give us a download link to get those dlls and DONE!

This Magic integrated dll builder IS NOT WORKING.

i do not know what else can i do to not have to spend hours in a proces that should take 30 seconds or less...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  49. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

Hi @CalaveraX,

Sorry to hear about the troubles you are facing, and we are aware of the issue, which is also the reason we wrote https://forum.unity.com/threads/state-and-the-future-of-the-unity-ads-services-integration.494936/ as linked above.

As stated in the post, long term plan is that we will have a package manager in Unity, however we will still even in 2017.2 have some of the issues we're seeing now with extension not being properly enabled, and having to manually edit UnityConnectSettings.asset file.

Alternatively use the asset store package from https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/66123. Not ideal, however should solve the situation you describe above.

Hope this helps...

/Rasmus

50. DBarlok

DBarlok