Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

[Bug] Can't update due to changes in the workspace

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by MrLucid72, Mar 17, 2017.

1. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

My teammate was too frustrated to report a bug, so here I am :)

I've actually experienced this before, so I know the frustration, so seeing if anyone else knows about this. I also am 99% sure I can reproduce this now:

1. Push with errors (oops)
    2. Push immediately after with a hotfix
    3. The 3rd party will pull (both #1 and #2 pull at the same time)
    4. The 3rd party that pulls both the errors and the fix will get a "Can't update due to changes in the workspace" collab error, which is unresolvable to our knowledge: Even reverting to a known working build will cause this error.
    5. The only workaround that we discovered is to re-download from the cloud - which can be awful if you have a huge project ;)

Sorry I don't have his editor log or anything, but hopefully this helps. Let me know if you'd like more info and I'll see what i can do.

2. Kyuugatsu

Kyuugatsu

Unity Technologies

Hi Dylan, thanks for reporting this issue! We'll investigate it.

As for workarounds, have you tried deleting the snapshot file(s) in the "Library/Collab" subfolder of your project, rather than re-downloading the project?

ALIENPANDA and MrLucid72 like this.
  3. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Ah I wasn't familiar enough with Collab back end to try daring things like that yet. Thanks will keep in mind next time :D

4. Sp-ce

Sp-ce

I'm having this same issue.

Just tried deleting the snapshot files and that did not work either. I'm currently deleting the project form my local D drive and will download again.

5. Sp-ce

Sp-ce

Well, that didn't work, either.

Damn.

@dylanh7244: How did you get your project across multiple workstations to start talking to each other again? I just got the same work space error and freezing issue after deleting and downloading again.

6. Kyuugatsu

Kyuugatsu

Unity Technologies

Hi sbabb,
    There are a few scenarios where this issue can happen. I would take the following steps to troubleshoot this:

- Make sure that all workstations are using the same version of Unity
    - Make sure that you have no local changes in your project - if you do, back them up elsewhere and click "Restore" in the Collab history window
    - Delete everything under the $PROJECT_DIRECTORY/Library/Collab folder
    - Open your project in Unity, wait for it to import, then update

If it still doesn't work, please tell us whether you're using any third party plugins or assets, and if so, which ones.

Having no local changes is important because the vast majority of the time (although not 100%) this is caused by conflicts coupled with some files being absent in Library/Collab, which Collab is expecting should be there. We're still investigating the root cause there, this is a workaround.

7. Sp-ce

Sp-ce

@Kyuugatsu,

Thanks for the support, I that did it! I believe the problem was I wasn't deleting the Collab folder contents on all workstations and that seemed to fix it. I should have realized that earlier.

Again, thanks for the help. :)

8. SciePro

SciePro

We have the same problem every 2nd to 3rd time one of us pulls. We´re working on 5.6.1f1 and didn´t experience these issues before on 5.5

9. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

@Eraxion I'm sorry to hear that you're running into this problem so often. Have you tried the above mentioned steps of deleting your Collab folder across all copies of your project and seeing if that fixed your issue?

10. Orcnized

Orcnized

so still no real solution for this just some possible workarounds?

11. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

We ditched collab and went with Gitlab CE. Half of our Unity bugs just magically went away (many bugs I had no idea was related to either collab or Unity services). Loading Unity is instant now, too. Free (but self hosted) and highly recommended. It pretty much self installs on Ubuntu Server, it's not bad. Host it on Digital Ocean.

Collab is potentially Incredible with talented devs making it and ease of use. However, it has not yet reached a stable state. And most of all, if I know the patterns of Unity (and I do), since upper mgmt declared it "out of beta", any existing bugs before declaring it stable (that should've been fixed long before anything) won't be fixed for years.

That's pretty much Unity's signature move, unfortunately: Features before stability.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Morbeavus likes this.
  12. Orcnized

Orcnized

@dylanh7244 thanks for info.
    we are also thinking about using just gitlab. Thought unity collab would be nice...but seems its other way round.

MrLucid72 likes this.
  13. tcz8

tcz8

We are having the same problems now. In some other thread the Unity guys said "working on it" but we have been having so many trouble using collaborate... Reading this thread just put more nails in the coffin.

14. Monarky

Monarky

Its 4/10/2018 and we are still running into this issue. Just alittle bit ago I added a couple. It really is frustrating. Is there any new news on this?

15. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Monarky! Did none of the above workarounds unblock you? If so then would you be willing to get in touch with our Support team if you're still encountering this issue? They'll be able to help diagnose the issue.

16. Monarky

Monarky

No its exactly as you described above. I delete the collab folder and its fix. Its just very annoying. Also very time consuming if you have a big project. I was just wondering if you guys are still working on this issue.

17. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

It's a bug that we still plan to look into but has unfortunately been on the back burner while we worked on stabilizing other areas. Like the OP, do you tend to run into this issue when pulling updates that contain code changes with errors in them? How often do you run into this issue? And which version of Unity has your team been using?

18. Prodev101

Prodev101

you do realise people are paying monthly for this unfinished rubbish.. Our studio is shelling out almost $200/month just for teams and its "on the backburner!"

19. coombsjoshua20

coombsjoshua20

right im shelling out money as well for bullshit

20. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

We couldn't wait (and seeing it not fixed after all this time confirmed we dodged our worst nightmare): We went with Gitlab CE for git server. It's free, open source, and under active development (super stable - mostly features and obscure fixes). Slap it on a DigitalOcean VPN for 40/mo. Web interface. Beautiful. Natively comes with its own CI (like Unity Cloud) for free. We use Git Tower for the actual git client, loaded with features.

Anyway, that's what we did. We didn't want to risk the chance of core bugs like this not being prioritized. We already experienced the abandoned UNET service where we were left to die if we wanted support or a breaking bug fix. No Thanks~

Best of luck to you mates. I feel your pain.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  21. virgilcwyile

virgilcwyile

Fixed this issue. You must "Go Back To" older version in Collab History. Restore doesnt work as well. Neither deleting files. Go back to older version. Then again try to update the latest. It will show you a message "Workspace has been changed", but this time it shows this message in a progress window. Then it fixed itself. But in be warned. There might be some issue of loosing files. We had to open the Collab Online Services to download the missing scenes. Only the scenes we added to that Commit.

sewy and FardinHaque like this.
  22. daville

daville

So I just came across this problem, and tried the suggested fixes, the text dissapeared, but now the project connection was lost, and it asked me to download everything and the old assets were still there, so now I had duplicate files, so I had to delete the project and download it again.

So now I have some spare time to come here and complain... I mean, report that the issue is still an issue Unity 2019.2.8f1 .

23. fmalka

fmalka

I'm having the same issue but none of the fixes above work:
    - I deleted the .txt files in Library/Collab and restarted Unity;
    - I deleted the whole Library/Collab folder and restarted Unity;
    - I opened the history windows, but there is no button to revert to past versions. There is only an Update button beside each version. Clicking Update on any version recreates the problem and gets me back to "Can't update due to changes in the workspace".

How can I go back to a previous version or force push my changes? By the way, I am the only user in my Collab repo and am working from a single computer. All the previous versions are from me. How can Collab get lost in such a simple setup?

I'm stuck.

24. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @fmalka, I'm sorry that you're encountering this issue. I would recommend moving your project to another folder, then reopening the Hub and re-downloading your project. The re-downloaded project should be synced correctly to the latest version.

You can also choose to unlink your project from the Services Window and create a new link, giving you a fresh start and allowing you to republish your project to Collaborate.

fmalka likes this.
  25. fmalka

fmalka

Thanks @RyanC, I'll choose the second option.

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  26. pool3

pool3

Just FYI, still happening in latest Unity 2019.4 LTS version.

27. CaptainChristian

CaptainChristian

It just happened to me using 2019.4.11f. Fortunately, I am working alone on this, so I can "safely" unlink.

28. mirostraka

mirostraka

It happens in 2020 as well. I have a lot of unpublished changes that I do not want to lose, and I there is no option anymore to go to earlier commit. Deleting snapshop will warn me that any project settings will be overwritten after pull, and want to DL 4GB of data for 4 prefab changes my colleague did. wtf

29. Jerkins

Jerkins

뭐 rhcufk TLqkf whwrkxdms tnduaskstoRldi rpdltoRleh dkslrh Tlqk f2susehddks dksrhclsmsrp akfdlehlsi?
    TLq rotoRlemfdk sjspEoadp Eh dirmswhwlrhdLTwksgdk TlqkfwhwrkxdmstL!!!!

hONgzA likes this.
  30. SanderGoal043

SanderGoal043

had the same issue in 2020.3.2f1
    after discarding my changes and reverting to an older push the problem was gone

31. Janeator

Janeator

Why is this issue still happening?
    If Unity wants to stop being a joke they should hurry up and fix their features that have been decaying for years, and that actually serve to make games at a basic level, instead of adding high complexity garbage noone cares about.

32. hONgzA

hONgzA

I agree with you completely.