Search Unity

[Bug] 2017.1.0b8 Running very slow on Elementary OS

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Dacexi, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Dacexi

Dacexi

Video of problem:

After installing the latest beta of Unity 2017 the whole program became unresponsive, slow and super laggy (in startup scene it runs 15 fps!)

I have what i would conciser a top of the line pc, specs:

I'm running elementary OS 0.4.1 (which is built on Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS) running on the Linux 4.4.0-81 kernel.

Please let me know if you're having the same issue or if i need to provide further information.

2. ArXen42

ArXen42

Same issue. Latest Archlinux, nvidia 381.22-3.

Dacexi likes this.
  3. kmare

kmare

Same problem using Fedora 25, nvidia 381. Unity 5.6 didn't have this issue. Didn't try the new 2017.1 f1 release yet.

4. Dacexi

Dacexi

please let me know when (if) you try it. I have limited internet :/

5. kmare

kmare

Just tried it. Same exact thing. GUI super slow, scene editor super slow. For now, save your bandwidth dude.

6. Dacexi

Dacexi

not good to hear after moving forward from b to f :/ this really should have been fixed in b2, it's such a widespread and crippling bug.

7. kmare

kmare

couldn't agree more. I guess I'll wait for the final version of 2017.1, but at this point I don't think it'll get fixed any time soon. Personally, I'm already considering switching to or at least play around with the UnrealEngine (which also works with HiDPI displays unlike Unity).

8. kaskiU

kaskiU

I used to use Mint with Cinnamon and b version of 2017.1.0, didn't have this issue. Now with exactly same computer with Ubuntu 17.04 (installed just core Ubuntu and Plasma afterwards) and same Nvidia drivers I'm having this problem with f version of 2017.1.0. I'm running two monitors (different resolutions).

With empty (newly created project) the game tab "Stats" panel showed 60-70fps (had VSync) but Editor, Scene editor, menus etc. refreshed exactly once per second regardless of that FPS meter value (the FPS meter also refreshed once per second :D). Was easy to calculate the time by moving an object in scene view.

I managed to fix it by going to NVIDIA X Server Settings -> OpenGL Settings -> Unchecked "Sync to VBlank".

NOTE: You need to restart the Unity if it is open
    NOTE2: Unity won't cap FPS so if you use laptop, make sure you are plugged in. This will drain your battery faster.

The menu is still bit laggy but much better. Also the editor now works fine.

I also changed the scripting runtime version to 4.6 (from Unity Edit -> Project Settings -> Player -> Other settings) and did the following but I doubt these did anything to solve this problem:
    NVIDIA X Server Settings -> X Screen 0 -> X Server XVideo Settings -> I chose my main screen where I have Unity open 99% of time.

Headzup likes this.
  9. kmare

kmare

@kaskiU thank you! unchecking "Sync to VBlank" made it fast again! The menu is kinda laggy, but as you said, much better than before. I didn't really have to change the runtime to .net 4.6 to fix the performance, but I guess it's a nice addition.

10. kaskiU

kaskiU

Yeah, I don't think those two last steps made any difference to the performance. It was just something I did at the same time I unchecked "Sync to VBlank" and hit Apply button.

EDIT: I made a bug report (Case 926041) with a complete system information and all installed packages with their versions. Hope it helps.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    kmare likes this.
  11. Headzup

Headzup

Had the same issue (only 60fps), but the Menu was fluet.

The Solution from kaskiU works perfect, now I have 150fps with a 144hz Monitor.
    (NVIDIA X Server Settings -> OpenGL Settings -> Unchecked "Sync to VBlank")

I use ManjaroKDE (Based on ArchLinux)

Now I only have to get Intellisense with Visual Studio Code and I dont need a Windows Machine :)

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

Any fixes for the Unity Linux 2018 build with AMD?

13. Kalle801

Kalle801

hm, im on:
    - "elementary OS 0.4.1 Loki"
    - "Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS"
    - "Linux 4.13.0-41-generic"
    - "GTK+ 3.18.9"
    and for me all is working fine. (Full AMD PC).