Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bringing tilemapping tools to runtime

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by arknano, Mar 4, 2017.

1. arknano

arknano

Hey!

I'm working with the preview's tools to create paper maps for printing (for use with D&D and the like), primarily using the Terrain brush script that comes with the demo. It's great, but it would be nice to be able to package this into a web app or something so I don't have to lug the preview builds around to access the mapping tools.

With that in mind, i'd like to bring the tilemapping tools out of the editor and into runtime, and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as to where to get started.To be clear, functionality should include selecting items from palettes, finding the tile being hovered and displaying a preview tile, as well as placing that tile into the scene.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  2. Jay-Pavlina

Jay-Pavlina

I'm interested in this for my game also. I don't believe there are any tools to make it easy. You'd have to make your own user interface and programmatically place tiles with the tile map API. So it's definitely doable but would take some time.

3. castor76

castor76

Yeah, exactly. I had to do it like so myself.