Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

"Bravely Bear: Launch!" alpha is up and running! (webGL)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Not_Sure, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

It's been a long road (with a lot further to go), but I am proud to present the alpha build for Bravely Bear Launch.

Bravely Bear Launch is the first of a series of games featuring the scrappy and determined stuffed bear "Bravely".

Launch will arrive on iPhone and Android sometime this year.

50% of all revenue from Launch will go towards Northwest Arkansas Children's Shelter where I am currently employed as a care provider.

Thank you everyone for helping me achieve this dream!

You can try out the Alpha HERE.
    (Use left and right arrows to steer.)

Also, here's some screen shots:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  2. aer0ace

aer0ace

Congrats!

Not_Sure likes this.
  3. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Is Firefox the only browser that Unity's web player works with?

Edit: Okay. So when the bar at the bottom fills up, the three exclamation points appear. However...I still have "jet fuel." Is it supposed to deplete when time runs out?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    Not_Sure likes this.
  4. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Good question!

Actually that's a danger meter. It determines how many things are coming at you.

Coins will lower that bar, but currently I only have the coins at the start.

But with your feedback I now know that I'll need more to let people know what it does.

5. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

I see. Well...when I began, I immediately turned left and flew just above the ground for a while. Nothing approached me (seems that starts around 50 meters), but the bar filled up.

Okay, I played for a little while. That was pretty fun!

It's hard to say what you do or don't plan to implement. However, it would be nice if the "meters" tick stayed up after a crash so I could see how far I got.

It seems like you stop time (in the engine) with a crash into the ground or something. Additionally, your movement controls have "smoothing" or something, I don't know the actual term, where they remain for a few seconds after letting go of a button (to anyone playing it, try pressing down one arrow for a while. Rather amusing).

These two facts in conjunction mean that when restarting, the "aftereffects" of a player's previous turning movement is retained, so that one veers off course immediately.

All in all, though, very nice. Great to see somebody's (semi-)finished work here.

theANMATOR2b and Not_Sure like this.
  6. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Ah, another issue. I've heard this issue before.

The goal is to go up, not to the side.

7. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Yeah, I definitely was able to go up. I got to the Boeing something-or-other, with the hump on the back.

There was this point where I was trapped between the two small jet planes (Pipers? How would I know...), and then a couple helicopters started buzzing around...was rather fiddly there for a bit!

Edit: Additionally, if I "retry," the circle at the bottom is already red with the exclamation marks.

Not_Sure likes this.
  8. Player7

Player7

clamp the turn speeds, it shouldn't be so easy to get into a tight spin, right now you have to be really gentle with tapping left/right to prevent it going into a tight spin if held down just a bit to long.

art work looks decent, its the gameplay that is a bit basic.. the thing with jet propulsion is that you can have fun with it if you let the player have control over the propulsion speed or lack of it and let gravity take care of the down force.. it adds a better dynamic to the gameplay if the player can slow down or turn off the jetpack propulsion in order to drop height free fall.

the background far planes.. i feel like the very far background plates like the mountains tips should be visible alot longer as you go up in height.. instead of it all just dissapearing pretty quickly once you get 30+meters u, sort of like the camera was looking down to earth just abit more.

clouds.. a real frustration to be turning the bear in as you have no idea which direction he's heading in when covered by those clouds get to be a lot of clouds and planes/balloons/hellicopters... feel its a less skill and more luck if you get higher up as you can just get a bad situation without any way to get out of it .... I got to like 500-600m in testing

theANMATOR2b and Not_Sure like this.
  9. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Additionally, I just retried a couple of times, and I didn't get anything coming at me at all for about 328 meters (this happened twice), where I got like 5 or 6 things at once.

Not_Sure likes this.
  10. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

The clouds are intended to be part of the challenge.

But there will be some changes to make them easier to navigate. For starters sound will help you know if something is present. Also, I plan on having a radar available from the store that will put them further back. Lastly, I plan on breaking the level more clearly into 4 sections and will better spread out the clouds.

As far as the controls go, I love them as is. It is going to be a two button cell phone game and I think it's just hard enough.

11. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Yeah, I need to fix that. Thank you for pointing it out.

12. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

And along those lines, it looks like the clouds don't start until you get near or to the place where your previous record was.

Which means that you travel through X meters (this last time it was about 50-450) of featureless sky until you reach that point. That's probably part of the same issue though.

However...
    Don't keep yourself up responding to a dozen or more comments about improvements. Bask in the glow of a (semi-)finished project and get some rest :)

theANMATOR2b and Martin_H like this.
  13. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Congrats on getting to this point. I played it and although its not what I was expecting at all it is nicely done.

I made it up there quite high last I noticed over 600 on the altitude counter but not sure how much higher than that when I ran into something I didn't realize was behind a cloud.

So many large things up here with the huge blimp and multiple passenger jets. And then many smaller objects as well. Keeps you on your toes for sure.

Overall it has very nice control and I really like how I can kind of draw with the smoke trail. The progression on the difficulty level seems spot on as well.

Not_Sure likes this.
  14. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I really like the clouds, but seeing as how I've heard 3 times now that the clouds are frustrating I should really address it.

Thanks for the input guys.

Btw, has no one made it into space yet?

Also, I'm considering lowering the amount of obstacles, but adding winds and drafts to them. What do you think of that?

Other than that I'm going to start cataloging a list of things that need to be done and I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

To Do:
    -Redo the object generator and section off the map into four distinct areas.
    -Add sound.
    -Add more effects.
    -Add a high score.
    -Redo the game over screen. I may trace the player's path.
    -Add a visual indicator showing where the last highest height was.
    -Get a store up and running.
    -Get a level system up and running.
    -Get missions up and running.
    -Get achievements up and running.
    -Redo the menus to look better.
    -Improve death sequence
    -Add a "rainbow coin" (You'll have to wait and see what it does)
    -Add tokens
    -Add end of game mini game

-Add things to buy into the store.
    -Add Missions
    -Add Achievements

-Integrate online score keeping
    -Integrate ads
    -Integrate cash purchases
    -publish
    -localize
    -Republish

Gadgets in Store
    -Magnet- Coins move towards you
    -Radar- Places all clouds in background
    -Chronosphere- Zooms in and slows time just before an impact
    -Rare Coin Catalog- Coins have a chance of being worth more than 1 coin
    -Phase Belt- Phase in and out leaving Bravely invulnerable but also unable to pick up coins. But coins still follow magnet.
    -Boosters- Start off with added speed.
    -Bubble Shield- Start with a bubble around Bravely that will pop and push him away from obstacles once.
    -(fill in the blank) Repellent- Repel various obstacles.
    Suggestions Welcome

Outfits in Store
    -Space Suit
    -Doctor
    -Safari
    -Scuba
    -Business Suit with no sleeves (Jetpack Joyride tribute)
    -American Football
    -Basket Ball
    -Hockey
    -Soccer / Football
    -Baseball
    -Swag
    -Gangster
    -Punk Rocker
    Suggestions Welcome

Achievements
    -Go X high
    -Get X many coins
    -Clear 3 missions in one go
    -You tried- hit the ground
    -Could be worse, you could have hit the ground- hit a bird or kite.
    Suggestions Welcome

Missions
    -Get X high in X amount of time
    -Collect X amount of coins in one run
    Suggestions Welcome

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Was quite fun, does need to display how far you got - after you died, because you can't check while playing as you're too focused.

16. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

By wind, do you mean affecting the player or the obstacles? I personally don't have a problem with the number of obstacles, and I would dislike it if their movement was more random. The helicopters are annoying enough (not that that's bad, mind you, but it should be only one or two object types that do that IMO).

Achievements...

Looks Cool, Doesn't It? - spin around in a circle for 5 seconds
    Houston, We Have Liftoff! - make it to space
    [2 other achievements for each of the other two sections the player can make it to]
    Through The Gauntlet - make it through 7 (pick your number) obstacles on your screen at once

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Not_Sure likes this.
  17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah as a game I think there would be much interest in navigating through caves or hoops etc.

18. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Hhhmm... A spelunking infinite runner sounds like an interesting idea.

You have a helmet with a light on it and descend via rope into a cavern. The deeper you go, the darker it gets, and the more dependent you are to look around to see obstacles. It could be a neat little horror game.

I may use that for a future title.

Maybe I could do the rings as a bonus game though.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  19. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Finally!

:) kidding - I know the trials youve faced and overcome. Well done on all - especially this.

Will check it out when Im not struggling to type on this dad blasted phone.

Didnt you release this before as mvp - some time ago? I remember playing this or something very much like it. I remember the air plane visuals and the mechanics from before.

20. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I did a version before redoing the art and adding in all the menus and what-not.

It has undergone a serious overhaul.