Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Both collab toolbar and history panel are blank.

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by iseta, May 4, 2017.

1. iseta

iseta

Currently using Unity 5.6.0f3 on a Mac. For some reason, I can download projects just fine, but I can't see commits and the history, which would be troublesome, since I wouldn't be able to see the comments or what has been done. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? I found a topic where a person was describing the same issue, but since the OP was on a PC, the solutions didn't work. Thanks!

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @iseta! I'm sorry you're running into this issue. Is this the similar thread that you were talking about? You can find your Packages folder on Mac here:

[user]/Library/Unity/Packages

Try deleting that, restarting Unity, and let me know if your Collab History window is no longer empty.

3. iseta

iseta

Hi! The thread was this one, but my issue is the same as the one you've told. I've deleted the folder and restarted my Mac, and they are still blank. The 'Services' tab has all it's functionalities, but the collab toolbar and history panel are still... just grey. :( I've reported the bug with screenshots, it's the #907936, if that helps.

Also, thanks for the fast reply!

4. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you for the bug report! Unfortunately, in the case with Packages, the Bug Reporter doesn't include the information that I need. :( But I'll happily step you through the steps to help us identify the problem you're encountering.

Did you also try downloading your project into a new folder? Are you able to download your project onto a new computer? Does the problem still persist after doing either of that?

(Also, please keep tabs on this thread since I'll be offering more troubleshooting suggestions there too.)

5. iseta

iseta

I did download the project in a new folder and... I still have the problem. Also, everytime I select the project in the "In the Cloud" tab, the project will ALWAYS download itself on a new folder, instead of opening the project I've downloaded previously... Am I doing something wrong? It's not really related to the problem, but I'd like to now it too.

I... haven't really downloaded the project in another computer, but I can try to do it on my home computer, just to help diagnose the issue. Is there anything else I can do?

(Will be keeping an eye there, and sorry for the late reply!)

6. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

No worries on the late reply. :)

In the meantime, I'd be happy to clear up the confusion around the In the Cloud tab. In the Cloud is meant to be used for first downloading a project from the Cloud. After it's been downloaded, you can go to the On Disk tab whenever you relaunch Unity to reopen your project without re-downloading it. Apologies for the confusion.

Thank you for keeping tabs on the other thread. I just posted a couple new things in that other thread to try in order to rule out some possibilities. If you could try them as well and let me know what you come across then that would be extremely helpful!

7. iseta

iseta

Oh, don't worry, and also, thanks for clearing that out. We used the In The Cloud Tab so that I could download any changes my partner made, because since the collab toolbar wouldn't open, I can't download any updates. It was kind of a work around that issue, but I have to admit it's pretty troublesome.

Well, I tried to access the three links you've posted and it seems that they are "blocked". I'll post the print along with the translation, since it's in PT-BR. The translation: Dear user, the access to (link to the website) is temporarily unavailable, try again later or contact the administrator.

My partner can access only the first link, but his collab menus work just fine. Thought this test would be useful.

Attached Files:

8. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

You're very welcome. I'm sorry you've had to rely on that method in order to pull your teammate's changes for now.

Thank you for trying to open those links. Are you able to turn off your firewall and see if you can access those links then? Is your partner using the same firewall?

9. iseta

iseta

Well, my own firewall is already deactivated, I suppose that we use a firewall in our office's network, which is pretty common. I've also updated my Mac to MacOS Sierra, reinstalled Unity and... Still the same problem. Maybe these ports are closed in our network? Seems weird since my partner can access the first link and see the changes.

10. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thanks for letting me know that you tried updating your OS too. If the problem was your firewall then it'd be odd that your teammate on the same network isn't having similar issues. But I'd like to rule out the firewall for sure. The main port that Unity uses is 38000 but it'll increment by one if it isn't available, hence why I have asked people to check a couple of them in case the first one didn't work. Can you try asking your system admin to check if that port is blocked or if they can be sure that Unity isn't blocked by their firewall rules?

11. iseta

iseta

Ok, checked these things and as suspected, the port isn't blocked, neither is Unity. But since you've told me to watch for the replies on the "blank collab window" thread on the forum, I've followed your recent post there. I have to say I was also pretty startled by the bright pink-looking Unity but okay, let's get to the point! I've followed the three steps and I'll post a screen shot for each of the three steps of step-three.

Step one (the structure):

Step two: the console shows no errors, so I don't feel that a screenshot was necessary. The console was just blank.

Step three:

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  12. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thanks so much for going through all that, @iseta! And don't worry about the pink Unity screen. The whole process is reversible once you move the Unity.app/.exe back to where it was. :)

It looks like you opened the DevTools on the Services Window. Would you mind doing this again but this time opening the Collab Toolbar through the Collaborate menu in the Services Window, then clicking on "Open the Collab toolbar", then right-clicking inside of the blank Collab Toolbar to open the DevTools there? It matters where the DevTools are opened. I really appreciate you going through all this trouble and it will really help us out.

13. iseta

iseta

Oh, okay, done it again, following the same steps and right from the bat I get an error when I open DevTools:

My structure is arranged like this:

And I get the same error when I copy+paste the code.
    No problem at all, it's not really a trouble since I feel this tool would help us a lot in our work.

14. Kyuugatsu

Kyuugatsu

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    Please double check the content of your /private/etc/hosts file. It should have something like this:

(and, ideally, nothing else related to localhost)

Additionally, please let us know if you have any of the following apps installed:

• Avast!
    • AVG Anti-virus
    • BitDefender
    • F-Secure
    • Iobit Advanced System Care
    • Kaspersky Anti-virus
    • McAfee Anti-virus
    • Nod32 Anti-virus
    • Norton/Symantec Anti-virus
    • Panda Anti-virus
    • Threatfire
    • Trend Micro
    • VIGuard Anti-virus
    • Ad Aware
    • CA Pest Patrol
    • PC Tools Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus (may need to disable Full-Screen detection in the Advanced settings)
    • Spybot Search & Destroy
    • Spycatcher Express
    • Spyware Doctor
    • Spyware Terminator
    • Webroot Spy Sweeper
    • CA Internet Security Suite
    • Comodo (With Portal 2 running the firewall in Defense+ in training mode allows the game to run)
    • CYBERsitter
    • ESET Smart Security
    • Netlimiter
    • McAfee Personal Firewall
    • Nvidia Network Access Manager/Firewall
    • Nvidia ForceWare Intelligent Application Manager
    • Outpost Firewall (Disabling System Guard under Proactive Protection allows Portal 2 to run)
    • Panda Internet Security
    • Peer Guardian
    • PeerBlock
    • Tiny Personal Firewall
    • Verizon Internet Security Suite
    • Zone Alarm
    • Constant Guard by Comcast
    • Online Armor
    • IOBit Advance System Care

15. iseta

iseta

I already deleted the extra lines on the hosts file, but I don't really have any of these installed, even my firewall is disabled, but I still can't see anything on the collab toolbars. ):

16. Kyuugatsu

Kyuugatsu

Unity Technologies

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  17. iseta

iseta

Somehow, there is no folder "Unity" in the Library directory, I might have deleted it before, I think it was suggested in the other thread. And now I've flushed the DNS, and no result either.

My partner can enter this website just fine, and the port isn't blocked by the network's administration, also, I can download files just fine. I don't really know what to do :~

18. Kyuugatsu

Kyuugatsu

Unity Technologies

Interesting...that folder should have come back immediately when you launched Unity again.

Make sure you're going into ~/Library (e.g. /Users/iseta/Library) and not just /Library. I would also just delete the whole folder again.

19. iseta

iseta

Oh, my bad, I wasn't going in the right place. But still, even after deleting the entire folder, there's still no result.

20. Kyuugatsu

Kyuugatsu

Unity Technologies

21. iseta

iseta

I see the same error I've seen before, in both links. The error is, when translated: "Dear user, the access to (link to the website) is temporarily unavailable, try again later or contact the administrator."

My partner can acess both links and in both he sees these texts, which I believe are the "right" thing to see when you open them: [{"path":"Assets/CC.asset","state":17,"revertableState":5,"relatedTo":"","isRevertable":true,"isMeta":false,"isConflict":false,"isFolderMeta":false,"localStatus":"modified","remoteStatus":"","resolveStatus":""},{"path":"Assets/cena1.unity","state":17,"revertableState":5,"relatedTo":"","isRevertable":true,"isMeta":false,"isConflict":false,"isFolderMeta":false,"localStatus":"modified","remoteStatus":"","resolveStatus":""},{"path":"Assets/cena1/OcclusionCullingData.asset","state":17,"revertableState":5,"relatedTo":"","isRevertable":true,"isMeta":false,"isConflict":false,"isFolderMeta":false,"localStatus":"modified","remoteStatus":"","resolveStatus":""},{"path":"Assets/cena1/OcclusionCullingData.asset.meta","state":32785,"revertableState":5,"relatedTo":"","isRevertable":true,"isMeta":true,"isConflict":false,"isFolderMeta":false,"localStatus":"modified","remoteStatus":"","resolveStatus":""}]

22. Kyuugatsu

Kyuugatsu

Unity Technologies

That page is definitely coming from your firewall. Do you have Ostec Firebox installed on your computer? If not, then it might be installed on your network.

Unfortunately, there isn't any workaround I can offer when you have custom software blocking the localhost address. You will need to find a way to disable it on your end.

23. iseta

iseta

Thank you all for your replies, I'll be contacting my network's administrators to see what I can do.

24. iseta

iseta

Turns out the problem wasn't really on the server itself, but on my own Mac, as I suspected. I had a lot of proxies selected on the network settings on my Mac. It might help someone.
    It's all solved, thank you all for your fast replies! Have a nice day! :)

michealcaj, Kyuugatsu and Ryan-Unity like this.
  25. FeffeWSP

FeffeWSP

I'm having the same problem in Unity 5.6. Could Unity add an error message when collab fails instead of a blank page? Something informative would be nice. According to this thread, this issue will probably persist for a long time. The devs could create some nice debugging if they are unable to create a bug free service.

26. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I'm sorry that you're running into this issue too. We have additional error messages being added to the latest 2017.1 beta that will let users know if their localhost cannot be reached. That will help us to narrow down the root of the problem. We're also working on a network troubleshooting tool that will help us to determine the health of your network and how well the Collab service will run on it.

In the meantime, did you try turning off any firewall settings?

27. FeffeWSP

FeffeWSP

Unfortunately that is not possible due to company rules.

28. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I totally understand. Could you try opening your project in Unity, then open a web browser and type in this?
    http://localhost:38000/unity/service/collab/localChanges

You should either see a list of local edits that Collab would be detecting in your project or an error message saying that you can't access this port. If it's the latter than you need to talk to your company's IT department about how this port can be unblocked. :)

29. michealcaj

michealcaj

Hi, I have same issue with my unity collab window, could you show me steps to fix this issue pleeeeeeease

30. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @michealcaj! It'll help us a lot if you can tell us which version of Unity you're using. If you're using 2018.2 or older, try the following:
    1. Turn off firewall and proxies.
    2. Check if firewall allows these domains through:
      *.unity.com
      *.unity3d.com
      *.cloud.unity3d.com
      *.*.amazonaws.com
      *.pubnub.com
    3. Check if running more than one instance of Unity.
    4. Delete your Packages folder:
      (Mac) <username>\Library\Unity\Packages
      (Windows) <username>\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Packages
    5. Delete the files in:
      (Windows) AppData\LocalLow\Unity/Browser\Cache\Local Storage
      (Mac) <username>\Library\Unity\Browser\Cache\Local Storage
    6. Re-download project from Cloud.
    7. Check if http://localhost:38000/unity/service/collab/localChanges returns anything
    If you're using the 2018.3 beta then please in contact with our Support Team, which you can reach from the Support tab in the Developer Dashboard.

michealcaj likes this.
  31. michealcaj

michealcaj

I'm using unity 2018.2.9f1,I have disabled my firewall,redownloaded the project and still nothing

32. michealcaj

michealcaj

Oh I have older versions of unity installed on my machine

33. Jeison_

Jeison_

I having problems with collaborate too. It doesn't show any history
    upload_2020-10-31_2-56-31.png
    it shows this error when I click history.

Unity 2020.1.9f1

34. uitel2

uitel2

for me http://localhost:38000/unity/service/collab/localChanges shows :

{"changes":[],"filter":false}
    Pls help me.. :( i tried all previous steps

35. uitel2

uitel2

OMG solved for me.
    Bug from unity i think. Is because i upgraded to unity2019.4.29f. and the control package(practicly the collab package) changed to a new version.
    Then i did a downgrade back to 2019.4.28f and i saw an older version of collab (verified). So i tried to make also a downgrade to this collab package, and then it magically worked.

The strange this is that i dont have this specific collab package version on the 2019.4.29f unity version. So i think i will never do an unity upgrade again anymore.. :))
    And is not the first conflict/bug from unity created by upgrade the unity version..
    So advice for all the developers: Keep your unity version! Do not make any f****ng upgrade. it can turn in to a nightmare... X_X