Search Unity

Boosting texture emission power without washing out texture

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Jayme65, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Jayme65

Jayme65

Hello,

I'm using a movie for 'emission' map

...and would like to boost the 'emission' power...but if I do so the image itself is overexposed

I know that I could higher the 'Indirect Intensity' level in the 'Lighting' tab but I don't want to touch this global setting, just to be able to do it on this single object basis.

My question is: may I boost the 'Emission' power for the texture without "destroying" the texture itself?

By the way, even at nominal settings the image is washed out!

Would it be possible to keep the texture to its original light level when using it for emission map?

Thanks for your help on those 2 questions!

Link to this test scene:
    UnityProject.rar

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  2. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

You can change shader after baking. Or just set an gray color as emission color.

3. Jayme65

Jayme65

Thanks for the reply! Sorry if I wasn't clear enough...but the goal is to illuminate the scene (in real time) with the colors of the movie clip being played!

4. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

I'm not sure about precomputed relatime GI. But i seen some dynamic GI plugins from asset store for this purpose.

Also you can watch mirror's edge catalyst GDC lighting video in youtube about this technique (billboard lighting). (i don't remember what was that)

And you may need to use image effects to setup 50% of scene lighting. You can watch my example :

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

You'll have to create your own surface shader and include a Meta pass. A Meta pass is what the lightmapper sees, so you could potentially have two sliders, one that controls the intensity of the movie that you see and one for what the lightmapper sees.

Look into the meta pass. Documentation used to be kinda sparse on it, not sure if it has improved at all.

6. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

I just interested to create a similar things to mirror's edge billboard lighting in unity.
    This is result :
    * You should extract your video to jpg images with free Video to JPG Convertor
    It works with spot light and i have been randomized light intensity to be similar to frostbite games lighting (also used in lens flares in bf1)
    * Lower texture size in import settings is better in performance side
    * I'm working to find a more optimized solution about getting average texture color (now is 10-20% in profiler )
    Update : after changing texture size to 128, profiler update behavior is now 1~2.1%
    Is available in LightingBox 1.2.1

Billboard.jpg
    Untitled.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    ftejada likes this.
  7. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

New 30fps video test with light cookie

ftejada likes this.
  8. Jayme65

Jayme65

aliyeredon2,

Thank you very much for you reply and for the posted media!
    Any chance to get your last scene posted here?

Thanks again!

9. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Last scene was a simple unity cube and night building textures with self-illuminated shader + Post Processing Stack image effects applied
    Floor shader is Realtime Planar Reflection.
    Search my posts to find shaders and settings.

10. Jayme65

Jayme65

Looks very promising! Unfortunately I have no knowledge of custom shader writing :(
    Is it theoretically possible to have an 'unlit' shader (to display the video) with a meta pass (with the same video texture) for emission?