Search Unity

Books recommendations for total beginner

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by markodisrm, Oct 4, 2016.

1. markodisrm

markodisrm

Hi,

I was always feeling that years have passed by so it's too late for me to even begin thinking about developing my own game. This thought was in my mind since I was 22-23... After many years of studying in subjects I don't really enjoy (finance for one thing.......) I have now reached the point of 32 where I'm having a job that it's ok, but I'm not really enjoying. Games were always my passion and finally I reached to a point where I'm saying "No more!!!" (for dramatization purposes). I reached a point where I no longer thing that it's too late for me to try to build my own games. Of course I don't believe that I'll start making a living out of them any time soon but regardless, even getting into developing games I'm sure it will create a sense of fulfillment.

I know there is a long way ahead of me but still I simple have to try, and try my best.

Since I've seen hundreds of descent and excellent games made with Unity, and many times by one-man team I believe that Unity probably provides a friendly environment for a lot of different kind of games and aesthetics (comparatively with other engines at least).

But I don't want to digress from the actual subject of the topic.

Please... could you suggest books about how to develop games to a passionate gamer with absolutely zero knowledge about how to do that? I just need a bit of information about what my first steps should be.

Thanks!

2. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

RE: friendly environment. A typical game engine is a friendly environment for one specific type of game. Lots of assumptions and gadgets that make it easy to do that one thing with 99 variations, but a huge pain for anything not on the menu and nearly impossible to make a different type of game.

Unity is more like unfriendly for every type of game. The advantage is if you want to make games with different styles, or mix them. It's easier to use Unity for them all instead of trying to find a different game engine for each.

If you're OK learning game design and don't mind being slower to make your first thing, I think Unity has a huge advantage. I just wrote about that in UA in http://answers.unity3d.com/question...-not-what-else-should-i-k.html#answer-1252828

As for one-man team, well, yes and no (also see the above.)

Bookwise, narrow down the topic and you'll probably find recommendations (not always good ones, at first.) The Unity manual is a good general overview, but can't (and shouldn't) possibly cover everything.

3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Look through the learn section. You may find excitement in the component based workflow.
    If you have a negative reaction to the component based workflow - another engine might be more aligned with your own desired process.

Aside from that - imo - Unity's online forum community, and information about training/learning content here and scattered throughout the interweb, provided by users - allow anybody to get going on a project - regardless of procrastination level or age.

Friendly suggestion - don't quit your day job unless you have a large nest egg to blow. Consider part-time game development while you work at your day job.
    Here is a related gamasutra article
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...Why_one_indie_dev_will_never_go_full_time.php

and the forum thread discussing the article.
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/hobbyist-game-developer-perspective.434718/#post-2810896

4. markodisrm

markodisrm

Thank you very much both of you for the info!

@The ANMATOR2b Of course there is no way I'll quit my job! I'm still at step 0.001 in developing games. It would be completely irresponsible to do that! Hopefully, in time this may happen. But it's a long way ahead...

Thanks again!

theANMATOR2b likes this.