Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Blender scale or Unity

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Soulice, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Soulice

Soulice

Do you typically build models in Blender to the size they need to be and then scale in Unity after import, or do you build them to the right size for the game in Blender first?

2. _GimbalLock_

_GimbalLock_

Always build to scale in Blender, just be sure to set your units to metric. 1m in Blender will equal 1 unit in Unity. If you notice the fbx internal scale is. 01 (Or the model is importing in cm instead of M) when imported in Unity go back into Blender to re-export. Next to the scale option is a button that forces scale to cm. Just disable that little box.

You can get away without modeling to scale when it's just you. But when working with a team, if each artist is making it up as they go along... It'll cause headaches for everyone & game dev is filled with enough of those already.

As always, just one man's opinion.

3. Soulice

Soulice

Thanks, that does make a lot of sense.

4. Soulice

Soulice

Off topic, but you artwork is fantastic. Some NiN and the office building is freakin' fantastic

5. _GimbalLock_

_GimbalLock_

Thanks! Much appreciated!

I have to admit some of that both of those images are from photographs. The NIN is from an image from a magazine back when I was in high-school (feeling old). The office building is the business incubator I work out of. The had some existing photographs they wanted hand drawn, so I worked from those.

6. jdietrick

jdietrick

So we are a small two-person team. I'm downloading Open Street Maps for a few cities and prepping those in Blender. Then my partner imports them into Unity and scales them down to .2 of their size. The Unity manuals best practice guide warns that "Set your system and project units to Metric for your software to work consistently with Unity." So best to scale down on Blender side? To scale doesn't make sense when you are talking about miles and miles of landscape. https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/HOWTO-ArtAssetBestPracticeGuide.html