Search Unity

Blender object importing

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Beban96, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Beban96

Beban96

Hello guys,

Recently I've started using Unity Game Engine to develop a small project I'm working currently on, so I wanted to import a Blender model into Unity. I've modeled a simple mesh, and after importing by dragging the .blend file into Unity, I've noticed the problems with my model, it looks like the faces are not properly flipped, or like the object is smooth, but that's not the case. It looks like this (notice the black stripes).

upload_2017-2-23_23-27-48.png

2. Beban96

Beban96

Pusite mi kurac. Snaso sam se gowna jedna.

3. _GimbalLock_

_GimbalLock_

Lookup polygon surface normals.. Long story short they tell Unity which side is the front & back of a polygon. By default the back face, or backside of the polygon won't render... So if those are rooms you'll need to flip the normals in Blender.

The black artifact you pointed it out is from normal smoothing. The render tries to blend surface shading between normals of tour model. Select the fbx asset, it probably has a checkbox enabled that say auto normals or something like that with a number next to it. You can control what angle is used for blending or set it to import your normals... Which should look like what you had in Blender.

4. Cygon4

Cygon4

Though Blender supports manually created sharp edges, the way it's designed to handle sharp edges is by explicitly marking them as sharp.

Suggestion:
    • Remove duplicate vertices (in mesh edit mode: W, Remove Duplicates)
    • Set all your meshes to Smooth in Blender (in object mode: T, Tools -> Smooth)
    • Mark Sharp Edges in Blender explicitly (in mesh edit mode: Ctrl+E, Make Sharp) - these become blue lines
    • Add the Edge Split modifier to your meshes
    This will make editing easier (since even sharp edges are now sharing their vertices), reduce the file size and export correctly (with sharp edges) to Unity thanks to the Edge Split modifier which gets applied during exporting.