Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Blank Collab window

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by lasercannon, May 6, 2016.

1. lasercannon

lasercannon

Hello!

My collab window is showing up blank (both the collab drop-down and the collab history window). If I sign out then back in, the collab drop-down just has a button saying "Get Started!". If I restart Unity, it is blank again. The collab button at the top shows that there are changes to pull, though.

This happens on both b15 and b17.

Any ideas for a workaround?

Thanks!

Bryant

2. quixotic

quixotic

Administrator

Oh no! That's a really nasty bug, we're looking into this.

Will you report the bug? From within Unity: Help>Report A Bug that gives us more info about what you're seeing which is helpful.

3. lasercannon

lasercannon

Done! Bug 794732.

holliebuckets likes this.
  4. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi Bryant, thank you for bringing this to our attention and filing the bug.

I was only able to reproduce this bizarre issue on my Windows machine. Were you also working on a Windows machine at the time that you noticed this bug?

The issue seems to be resolved now. When you get a moment, can you try opening the Collab Toolbar and see if you’re able to publish and update again? No upgrade should be necessary. Let us know if you’re still seeing the issue.

5. lasercannon

lasercannon

I am indeed working on Windows. Unfortunately I am still seeing the issue though. Is there perhaps a library file I can delete to see if the problem is cached?

6. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

We made some server-side changes on our end and it resolved the issue for me, but clearly there's something more to it if you're still experiencing it.

Have you tried disabling and re-enabling Collaborate in the Services Window? Can you open the Collab Toolbar by going to Window->Collab Toolbar and see anything other than a blank screen? In that same Collab Toolbar window, can you right-click on the tab and press Reload? Does it still show a blank screen after that? Are you able to make a new, empty project and enable Collab with it?

7. lasercannon

lasercannon

Hmmm, none of those things worked. Tried disabling collaborate, closing unity then re-enabling, tried without closing unity, tried reloading the collab bar (also blank), and even new projects show a blank window. The collab button shows the correct icon, though (ahead, behind, or up to date).

One tiny note is that when I click on the collab button for the first time after opening Unity, the collab view is a darker grey, then turns lighter (if that helps you debug it :p)

Also forgot to mention that if I sign out and sign back in, the "Get Started!" button is responsive to mouse events but does not do anything.

8. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thanks for trying those out. I know how frustrating this must be. Thanks for the extra bit of info, too. Every little bit helps.

Another option that might work is go into your Users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/Unity/Packages folder and rename the node_modules folder to something else, then reopen Unity. Unity should recreate this folder when it's opened. See if that fixes your issue.

yoshitakaros likes this.
  9. lasercannon

lasercannon

Agh, still nothing. :/ Unity did recreate that folder though. Tried with my old project and a new one.

10. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Is your Services Window open when you're trying to use Collab? We had an old bug where Collab would not update unless the Services Window was open and in focus and it's possible it didn't make it into your latest version.

11. lasercannon

lasercannon

Yeah I noticed that bug in the last build, but I have had my services window open. Tried closing it too but that didn't work. :(

12. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Just curious, did you happen to have both 5.3 and 5.4 versions open at the same time? Collab (and much of Unity) does not work well when two versions of Unity are open at once.

If that's the case, then the best recourse at this time is re-install Unity 5.4.0b17 and re-download your project from Collab. This will result in you losing any local changes, so keep that in mind.

infinitypbr likes this.
  13. lasercannon

lasercannon

Ah! That could be it. If that's the case, we might need to wait to use collab, as we are working on a project coming out soon on 5.3.3p1. Do you think this is something that will be fixed soon or should we just wait until we don't need 5.3.3p1 anymore?

14. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

It should work fine as long as you don't have both versions open at the same time on the same machine. You can still work on two versions of the Editor, just don't work on both of them at the same time. There's another method that involves blowing out the cache that we're in the middle of writing up instructions on how to do. We should have that for you soon.

Is there a specific reason that you would want to have both versions open at once? Or was this a result of being in crunch to release things using 5.3.3p1 but still wanting to try out 5.4?

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  15. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Alright, we have a method that should fix this issue without requiring you to reinstall Unity. It will require clearing the cache, so you were on the right track.

In your AppData folder, go to LocalLow->Unity->Browser->Cache->Local Storage. You should see these files there:

file__0.localstorage
    file__0.localstorage-journal
    https_public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.com_0.localstorage
    https_public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.com_0.localstorage-journal

Delete all of these files. This will essentially tell Collab to reset itself. Then open your project and see if Collab returns to normal. You may need to restart it again if you receive an error that you cannot perform this action and your list of organizations in the Services Window is empty.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  16. lasercannon

lasercannon

Yeah, we're just working on multiple projects so it's nice to be able to jump back and forth. :) I'll give that fix a shot and let you know what happens!

17. lasercannon

lasercannon

The window was blank for a second but it looks like it works now! Was able to pull, and I'm pushing my changes now. :)

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  18. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

That's awesome! Glad we got that all sorted out. If you find any other "fun" bugs like that, don't hesitate to report them and let us know. Best of luck on your future projects.

lasercannon likes this.
  19. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

This is what fixed it for me! I had 5.3.4 open with another project.

holliebuckets and lasercannon like this.
  20. CameronPenner

CameronPenner

I'm still getting this with 5.4.0f1 I'm on windows as well. I just installed Unity, and I've tried deleting the files in LocalLow->Unity->Browser->Cache->Local Storage already.

21. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

22. CameronPenner

CameronPenner

Yes! That was it. Closed the other editors (running a different version of Unity too) and reloaded the project and everything seems to be working now.

23. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Cool! So in general, multiple instances of Unity open at the same time can cause some weird behaviour - for the Services, and just general Editor use. :) Folks still do it, but sometimes it causes more headaches than its worth :)

Glad you are back up and running! Thank you for the update!

24. Goldiedtv

Goldiedtv

Hi, I'm having the same problem. Tried the solutions mentioned above, but when I click the Collab-button, it just opens a dark grey box. Unity version is 5.5.0b2

25. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Just to confirm, @Juuseri , you do NOT have multiple instances of Unity open, correct?

26. Goldiedtv

Goldiedtv

Yes, I have only one instance of Unity open. Just in case, I even checked from the task manager that there is only one Unity.exe running.

27. SeriousAlexej

SeriousAlexej

Hi, I used version 5.4.(something) and had a grey box popping out in collab. Updated to 5.5.0b2 (because noticed the fix in the changelog), now the box is black. But such thing happens on my laptop only, gpu is Intel HD 520, Unity launches on GL 4.3, on my desktop with GTX 660 everything works just fine, GL is 4.5.

28. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

by "black box" do you mean the launch window when starting Unity, or once you see the editor and the Collab Toolbar is black?

29. santa992

santa992

I have same bag black collab screen nothing happens, only if i sign out, he ask me to sign in and when i signin he ask me same again and again.
    i try to delete
    file__0.localstorage
    file__0.localstorage-journal
    https_public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.com_0.localstorage
    https_public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.com_0.localstorage-journal
    i delete 1st two second two don't exist

30. santa992

santa992

31. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @santa992! I'll certainly try my best to help. Which version of Unity are you using? When you say that you're being asked again and again, are you being asked to sign in over and over after you've already signed in?

32. santa992

santa992

I use 5.5.2, yes i am signed and he ask me go to sign in and nothing change

33. santa992

santa992

@ryanc-unity I delete everything and return to previous project, but this was not 1st time. I hope we will find some solution for this problem. but tnx for thanks anyway I appreciate it

34. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

@santa922, I'm glad that you were able to get yourself unblocked. I'm sorry that you ran into this bug. We fixed a similar sounding bug for 5.6 a little while ago so future versions of Unity should not run into this problem. Please let us know if you run into any other issues.

35. santa992

santa992

I think that problem is when i put lap top on sleep and unity is turn on, so you know :)

36. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you for the extra info. Be sure to give 5.6 a try when it comes out. That should fix this kind of bug.

37. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

upload_2017-4-24_20-30-36.png

Started happening when I moved from 5.6f3 to 5.6p2 if that helps, is there anything I can do?

Deleting AppData files as above fixed absolutely nothing.

38. mjako64

mjako64

Yeah, afraid to say the bug is not fixed in 5.6. None of the fixes in this thread nor a fresh install of Unity have fixed it.

Same exact problem as hippocoder except that the collab icon has correctly updated to the "pull changes" icon. It started the same way with a merge conflict however.

39. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @mjako64! I'm sorry to hear that you're running into this issue. Could you try doing the following?

Locate your Packages folder:
    (Mac) <username>/Library/Unity/Packages
    (Windows) <username>/AppData/Roaming/Unity/Packages

Delete the contents of that folder and re-open Unity. Does that make your toolbar visible again?

40. HATTLER

HATTLER

I'm having the same issue in 5.6.0f3, Windows 7.
    Collab History tab and Collab Toolbar are both blank.
    I've tried reinstalling Unity, logging out and back in, deleting the contents of /AppData/Roaming/Unity/Packages, and AppData\LocalLow\Unity\Browser\Cache\Local Storage, reverting the layout to factory settings, I'm not running multiple instances of Unity, and I even turned my computer off and then on again.
    The collab button displays correctly that there are updates to download but the dropdown is blank and grey.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  41. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @HATTLER! I'm sorry to hear that you're also running into this issue. And thank you for trying the previously mentioned suggestions. Did you try re-downloading your project from the Cloud?

42. HATTLER

HATTLER

Yes, I tried that. No change

43. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Do you happen to have an older version of Unity also installed? Do you have another machine that you can download this project to see if it repros there too?

44. HATTLER

HATTLER

No issue on another machine using the same login and accessing the same project.
    I did appear to have an old install of 4.3 on my machine. I removed it and all installations of Unity I could find, rebooted, deleted my project files, reinstalled 5.6, and re-downloaded the project; issue persists.

45. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you for giving that a try. I know it's super frustrating to try so many things and still see the same error but it helps to narrow down where the problem might be. I really appreciate it. There's a few more things I'd like you to try to help me debug what specific problem you're encountering, if that's alright.

Let's check if your Packages were installed correctly:

1) Go to your Packages folder again:
    (Mac) <username>/Library/Unity/Packages
    (Windows) <username>/AppData/Roaming/Unity/Packages
    2) Open the package.json file and you should see values like these:
    "dependencies": {
    "unity-editor-home": "0.6.17",
    "unityeditor-cloud-hub" : "0.0.15",
    "unityeditor-collab-history": "0.6.10",
    "unityeditor-collab-toolbar": "0.6.17"
    }
    3) In your Packages folder again, open the pacakge.json files that are inside of node_modules/unityeditor-collab-history and node_modules/unityeditor-collab-toolbar. You should see the following values in each file:
    "name": "unityeditor-collab-history",
    "version": "0.6.10"
    and
    "name": "unityeditor-collab-toolbar",
    "version": "0.6.17"
    4) Check that the versions match.

46. HATTLER

HATTLER

All three .json files are as you describe.

47. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

OK, we can rule out that the packages were installed incorrectly then.

Have you tried Reloading the Collab History window by clicking on the hamburger menu in the top right and selecting Reload?
    Snip20170508_5.png

I'd also like to check if the service is still working in the background. With the Editor running, make sure you have some local changes by editing an asset then click on one of these links:

http://localhost:38000/unity/service/collab/localChanges
    http://localhost:38001/unity/service/collab/localChanges
    http://localhost:38002/unity/service/collab/localChanges

You should see in your web browser a list of local changes starting with "{"changes":".

Do you see any errors in your Editor Log? You can view it by going to the Console tab, click on the hamburger menu and selecting Editor Log. Search for any errors or warnings in the log.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    HATTLER likes this.
  48. HATTLER

HATTLER

Reloading the Collab History window has no effect.

The second two links (38001, 38002) fail to load. Both pages say "This site cannot be reached". localhost refused to connect. ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED.

localhost:38000 is a page full of text. The word "changes" is not on the page. the first line is " {
    {"path":"Assets/Art/EF/Lanterns.mat","state":17,"revertableState":5,"relatedTo":"","isRevertable":true,"isMeta":false,"isConflict":false,"isFolderMeta":false,"localStatus":"modified","remoteStatus":"","resolveStatus":""} "

There are 3 or 4 more chunks similar to that, for different assets. In the editor, there are no errors in the console.
    In the Editor Log there is a line "
    -----CompilerOutput:-stdout--exitcode: 0--compilationhadfailure: False--outfile: Temp/Assembly-CSharp.dll
    Compilation succeeded - 4 warning(s) "
    other than that, there are no instances of the words "fail", "failure", "failed", or "error"

49. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you for the info. It's fine that 38001 and 2 didn't load. I listed them there in case 38000 didn't load anything, since Unity will increment the port number until it finds one that isn't being used.

My mistake on the "changes". That's an extra line that we added to the next version of Unity, which I was using when I looked up the results, but the rest of the info is the same for 5.6.

OK, this last set of steps is a bit more involved and I appreciate you bearing with me through all of this. I apologize in advance for how long this will be. But the results of following these steps should let us nail down the cause of this problem.

1) First, let's put the Editor in debug mode:
    a. Create three empty folders, called Editor, Runtime, and App, wherever you have the Unity.app (.exe for Windows) installed.

b. Inside the App folder, create another folder called Unity. Move the Unity.app file into this new folder, so it ends up at ..../App/Unity/Unity.app (.exe for Windows), and you also have .../Editor and .../Runtime. It should look a bit like this:

UnityDebugPath.png

2) Open DevTools
    Now when you open Unity don't be alarmed if your Editor looks pink. The shader references that Unity uses to display its UI can break in debug mode, but the Services windows, like Collab Toolbar and Collab History, are embedded web views so they'll be fine. If you don't see anything then you can go to the Windows->Services menu to show the Services Window, then click on Collaborate to take you to the Collab menu. Then Click on "Open the history panel" to open the Collab History window and "Open the Collab toolbar" to open the Collab Toolbar.

When you right click on the open Collab Toolbar, you should see a new option called "Show DevTools". Confirm this is there before continuing! If it isn't then the folder structure is likely wrong.

3) Use DevTools to find out the following:
    • Where packages are being loaded from on disk (and whether they are there in the first place)
      • This will be in the "sources" tab of the DevTools window
    devToolsSources.png
    • What errors are being shown in the Console, if any
      • This will be in the "Console" tab of the DevTools window
    devToolsConsole.png
    • Whether the JavaScript is functioning as intended
      • Paste and run this code in the Console tab: JSON.stringify(angular.element('body').injector().get('editorcollab').collabInfo)
        • It should give a result like: {"ready":true,"update":false,"publish":true,"inProgress":false,"maintenance":false,"conflict":false,"dirty":false,"refresh":false,"tip":"34cfcc582d8864bdae6f7fbb46c5e29789edeb65"}
    Let me know what values you see for each of the steps in 3) and if you have any questions about any part of this process.

50. HATTLER

HATTLER

I can't get passed step 2. After moving the Unity.exe into the App/Unity/ folder when I run it I get the error "The program can't start because FreeImage.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"

I tried moving that .dll into the App/Unity/ folder with the .exe and running it, but it gets the same error but for a different .dll. I continued this until I had moved 7 .dll's into the folder and the error went away, but now the splash screen flashes up and nothing happens. After moving everything back to the main folder, Unity launches fine.

Did I create the folders correctly? To clarify, I have Program Files/Unity/Editor/App/Unity where Editor is the default location for the Unity.exe and the last Unity folder is where I moved it to. Also in the Editor folder are the folders Editor and Runtime.
    Is this correct?