Search Unity

BlackBerry Passport Crash (works on all other BB10 Devices)

Discussion in 'BlackBerry' started by Jonny-Roy, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Hi all,

So I've had a game out for over a year and it's doing well on BlackBerry. A while back I updated the game and excluded the Passport from the release due to issues with the splash screen orientation (it's a landscape game but runs portrait on everything else...but the Passport displays the splash in landscape)

Anyway recently a customer upgraded his Z10 to a Passport which in turn installed the game to the Passport. I'm getting a report that after playing the game 3 times it crashes completely and then will not run anymore. So... is there anyone who has had issues with this sort of thing on the Passport? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I may be able to debug, given I only have access to a Z10 and Q10?

This was build in Unity 4.3 so maybe it was a bug in that version? At the time 4.5 was out, but I got random crashes in 4.5 so reverted to the older version for the build.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions,

Jon

2. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Okay, I'm getting more crash reports from the BlackBerry Passport, all saying they can run the game 3 times before it crashes, then it crashes everytime...again only on the Passport. Is anyone else getting anything similar?

3. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Okay so more news, looks like the crash only affects 10.3.0.908 so could be a hard one to hunt down!

4. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Tell customers to update version of there system, I guess only way to solve it for now.

5. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Yes, I think you are right...but the next version is only out on the Classic at the moment!!

Funnily enough one of my users done some extra testing off his own back...this is following the crass that completely stopped it getting past the splash screen:

I tried playing the game today, and was able to open and close it multiple times. Next, I restarted my Passport, because in every other previous attempt to run the game after a reboot, it would always freeze during the opening credits. I restarted it several times, and it would run fine as long as I gave the Passport a couple minutes after restarting it, otherwise the Passport would freeze.

I then deleted and re-downloaded the app. It worked initially, and then I restarted the Passport. Now the game is freezing at the opening credits again.

The shame is I've got a lot of users on the first 2 releases of 10.3.0.xxx with no issues and a few on the latest one all getting issues, I'm praying the new update is released real soon as I have no way to bug test, and even if I did, I'm assuming the crash would be in the engine code :S

6. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Okay, so far I've tied this down to an issue in Unity where it crashes after the games data file (where PlayerPrefs are stored) gets corrupt and it causes Unity to crash on start up as soon as these are accessed...I'm yet to come up with a work around...next to try is Building in 4.3 or earlier!! Would be nice to here a comment from anyone in the Unity team or BB as to when the new OS is expected for Passport!

7. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Can you file a bug report? Would it be helpful. Also do you notice any issues with splash screen orientations?

8. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

I can't but report yet, as the project is pretty big to submit the whole thing, I'm trying to recreate a simpler one that has the same issue.

Splash Orientations, yes I bug reported it ages ago...still open! I currently post a Portrait and Landscape build, not ideal, but it works!

9. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Yes this is the problem with bug reports, I posted in another thread my rant about this (but good luck with the repo)
    So your bug is still open about Orientation, just proves my point - please maybe post the bug number in this thread or so as one the developers can actually maybe see it and pick it up as QA is still sleeping.

10. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Jonny if you ever get a bug report in let me know. I'd like to look at this.

Jonny-Roy likes this.
  11. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Alex, I could bug report the whole project, it's just I can't recreate it myself as I don't have a Passport. Would you be okay if I sent you a Bar to see if you get the crash? If you do get the crash I can upload the project in a crash report.

Thanks,

Jon

12. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Sure, worth a shot.

13. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Hi Alex,

I sent a Bar to the bug report for the other crash, I hope that's okay.

Thanks for your help,

Jon

14. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Hi Alex,

I submitted the project as a new bug report 670282, just to save mixing
    these two up as I think this one is fixed in the new builds :)

Let me know if you need anything else!

Thanks for your help,

Jon

15. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Great! I will look at this as soon as I can. If it's the garbage collect problem that I think it may be it could take some time to resolve.

16. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

No problem Alex just good to know you can re-create it, that's half the battle!

17. Volodymyr_Kuksynok

Volodymyr_Kuksynok

Hello! Have you any progress? I have the same problem.

18. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

No progress yet. sorry.

19. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Hey Alex,

Have you had any luck with this?

On the plus side, BlackBerry have just patched the Z10 to 10.3.1 so bypassing the version that seams to cause the issue, but I'm not sure if they have patched the Passport, or if it will fix the issue :S

Thanks,

Jon

20. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Sorry I've been busy and haven't made much progress on this yet. I'll post an update tomorrow.

21. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I just got my new game rejected:

- When I test your application on BlackBerry 10 devices the application failed to launch on the OS 10.1 but can be launched on the OS 10.2.1. Please fix the issue so it can be launched on the OS 10.1 or change the minimum OS in the portal to 10.2.1.

This came as a surprise to me, BlackBerry is really a mess, dunno wtf they keep changing in backend.

22. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Hey guys,

Nothing terribly exciting yet. I've confirmed that something is attempting to get cleaned up inappropriately. For fun here's what the stack looks like:

Thread [1] (STOPPED) (Suspended : Signal : SIGABRT:Aborted)
    SignalKill() at 0x1bf0af0
    raise() at 0x1be00e8
    __malloc_panic_str() at 0x1bdabf0
    _list_release() at 0x1bdc854
    __free() at 0x1bddc38
    0x78bf443a
    0x78bf443a

Odd that it's a device specific issue... I'll try this tomorrow but in your experimentation have you tried deploying to a z10 running the same version as the passport? The passports seem to run 10.3.x.x so I'll try a z10 tomorrow running 10.3 with your game and see if I can repro. If so then it's probably a regression in the BB OS that I'll have to attempt to find a work-around for.

23. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Hi Alex,

The Z10 release has only just came out, but it's 10.3.1.x I'll try it this afternoon as my wife uses the Z10 as her phone, I did try on a Dev Alpha C on 10.3.1.634 and on 10.3.0.700 (the only versions available for the Alpha C) and there are no issues, so it's an odd one. I'll report back later, but I can tell you I do have quite a few Passport customers, but some don't seem to have any issues...so I was pretty glad you managed to recreate it!

Thanks for you work so far.

Jon

24. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Could it be that a new bug was been created in latest versions of Unity..
    Maybe in older versions of the BB OS before BB Passport, there was no support for certain screen orientations.

In newer OS versions BB Passport support was added, and now we have a fix for orientation, it breaks any OS version before Passport release. If that makes sense...

25. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Hi Alex,

Just wondered if there was any progress on this? I'm moving my project to Unity 5 soon, but I'm guessing the issue will be present in Unity 5 as well as 4.x

Thanks,

Jon

26. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

I would assume you are correct. I however have been trying to dig my way through another equally difficult issue on Samsung TV. Once I solve that particular mystery this will be very close to the top of my queue of what to tackle next. I really appreciate how patient you have been I know it's not easy waiting for fixes. :-(

Jonny-Roy likes this.
  27. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Hi Alex,

Could I get a status update please, I have a few people chasing me for a fix, as it's a paid only game and we're coming up to 4 months since it was reported.

Thanks,

Jon

28. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Still 100% on this Samsung TV issue. Getting closer to a fix though I feel. Been chasing a race condition through mono's threading code.

Jonny-Roy and MrEsquire like this.
  29. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Just an update. I've made some progress on the Samsung TV issue. I hope to be able to dig into this issue either today or tomorrow to figure out what's up.

Jonny-Roy likes this.
  30. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Thanks Alex.

31. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Just an update but I've discovered that the problem is somehow related to the adreno_cached_blob.bin file that is created within the data directory for the project. If I delete it the game runs fine. Just need to figure out what's trying to load it and why it's having a problem.

Update: Best guess is it's the shader cache that's being created by the adreno driver. I can't find anything in Unity that attempts to use that file however. I've reached out to a few people in BlackBerry to see if they have any insight.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  32. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Another update. I've reached out to some of my contacts at BlackBerry about this. I haven't heard anything back yet. :-(

33. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Cant say I'm surprised :-0

Elkis likes this.
  34. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Another update! One of my contacts has gotten back to me. We are beginning to diagnose the issue.

35. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Excellent!

36. Woj_Gabel_FertileSky

Woj_Gabel_FertileSky

I too have this problem and would want to know if there is a workaround for this.
    My game freezes on passport, even if left idle for a minute or two.

Also, do we have a way to delete this shader file from unity?

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  37. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Hi Alex,

Is there any update on this issue? It's affecting 2 of my releases on BlackBerry.

Thanks,

Jon

38. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

The guy at BlackBerry has requested a smaller reproduction project. I spent some time trying but I was unable to get something aside from QRInvaders to crash in this way. I'm not sure if it's a particular shader that's causing the problem...

MrEsquire likes this.
  39. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Ah, my other project that's crashing is much bigger, so that would be no good, I assume the crash log does not help tie it down to any specifics. :(

40. Woj_Gabel_FertileSky

Woj_Gabel_FertileSky

Yeah, I had the problem with the game crashing(freeze) and then refusing to run again until device is reset. My solution was to delete the ProjectSettings.asset file from the ProjectSettings folder. It will be recreated and all will be running fine, even with the SAME settings as the old one.

41. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Alex, could you confirm if what Sedesikus says above works as a solution for the bug I reported?

Thanks,

Jon

42. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

I'll give it a spin. I had a similar solution with deleting the blob file. Suspicious things are suspicious....

43. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

I may just upgrade it to Unity 5 and submit a build and see if it works around the issue, it's certainly a strange one.

44. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yep, submitting a repro project will always get things fixed. It doesn't matter if its many gigs, Unity has a secure place on request for uploading those.

45. Elkis

Elkis

Hey guys, I've been getting some bad reviews because of this, my game seems to be pretty unstable on Passport devices, it seems some of them are running BB OS 10.3.1 ( if that's of any use).
    I can't upgrade to Unity 5 to see if this is fixed because of the gray screen issue there.
    Is there anything I could do to help tracking this bug? I don't want to keep getting 1 Star reviews because of this :(

46. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

I reported my whole project, so Alex has a copy that he can reproduce with, but tying it down is seeming to be tricky, BlackBerry have also looked. Do you have access to a Passport to test Elkis? Are you able to recreate it?

47. Elkis

Elkis

No, I don't have access to a Passport device, so I haven't been able to recreate it. I just been getting complaints and bad reviews from various users related to a serious amount of crashes on these devices, the players can't even start playing.

48. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Yeah, same issue here, see if you can submit a bug of the whole game, it might help. I already done my smaller project, but I can't do the other one it was created for a 3rd party and they are not willing to share.

49. Elkis

Elkis

Alright, will try to shrink my project :) Should I submit it as a new bug?

50. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Yeah, then just post the bug number (not the link just the number) you get back on this thread, the submitter in Unity compresses it pretty small already so you might not need to!