Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Blackberry Battery when running Unity App

Discussion in 'BlackBerry' started by leewang2502, Aug 11, 2015.

1. leewang2502

leewang2502

Dear all,

I have a problem with a battery.
    I create a new app (hello world - has only 1 scene, show a "Hello world" text). I deploy it to my Blackberry phone, after that, minimized it and lock my phone, the battery is decrease so fast. I see the analysis about battery, this app always has a large of percentage while other only 0.1% or 0.4%....

I'm using unity 5.1.1f1 and my blackberry phone is Passport (OS: 10.3.2.2339)
    I build it without checking the "RUn in background" checkbox, but it seems still running (because the analysis of this app always the large, 98% of pin) (when i build it in IOS or android, there has no problem like that)

Can anyone knows how to solve this problem?

Thanks so much and have a nice day

MrEsquire likes this.
  2. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

How did you measure the battery drainage? I been having same problems with Android phones.
    No one can reply to me about these issues, not even community members, I try and find a way to debug within the app to find the culprit of the problem. I'm not advanced coder so don't know where to look for now.

Any more information would be helpful, maybe try Unity 5.1.2 latest patch release to see if its same issue.

leewang2502 likes this.
  3. leewang2502

leewang2502

I charge my battery full 100%
    And after that, i test it in 2 situation
    + Open the app (blank app - hello world), after that i let it in the background
    after 30 minute, the battery decrease so fast, and i see the app analysis (integrate in BB phone) and see: this app use too much percentage of PIN while other like FB, twitter, photo use only 0.x%
    + I close this app, the PIN is ok

It happen only in the Blackberry platform, In others such as IOS and android, it's ok :)

I will download the lastest Unity to test it:)

Have a nice day

MrEsquire likes this.
  4. leewang2502

leewang2502

Just upgrade to 5.1.2p3 but still a problem :(

MrEsquire likes this.
  5. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Yes I have been notified of this problem. I will see what I can do about it.

6. Wadjey

Wadjey

I confirm this issue in Unity 5.1.3f1 also, my BB Q10 (10.3.1) device start heating some minutes after I start a game made by Unity (a simple 2D game without any complex graphics), and heating = high CPU usage = high battery consumption.

7. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

8. Wadjey

Wadjey

I'll try it, but how I can monitor my app to see if there is any difference?

Update: tested with Application.targetFrameRate = 60; but my device (Q10) is still heating after some time of playing a game (simple 2D game with very simple graphics)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  9. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

I've used target framerate and also Input.gyro = false to help minimize some of the Unity burn. But it does do some kind of cycling on all devices that gets the phones very warm. I haven't looked into it very much, but even a simple app with only a GUI button will make the device get quite warm.

Be interesting if someone found a good solution :)

10. Wadjey

Wadjey

Hi,
    There is a workaround or anything helping to solve this issue? after 20 minutes of playing the device become too heat and drain the battery, even for a simple 2D game with very simple graphics!

lloydsummers likes this.
  11. lotterysinus

lotterysinus

I been having same problems with Android phones.