1. Help us improve the editor usability and artist workflows. Join our discussion to provide your feedback.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're looking for feedback on Unity Starter Kits! Let us know what you’d like.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We’re giving 2017.1 beta testers a chance to win t-shirts and a Nintendo Switch. Read more on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We want to know how you learned Unity! Help us by taking this quick survey and have a chance at a $25 gift card
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Are you an artist or level designer going to Unite Europe? Join our roundtables there to discuss artist features.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Unity 5.6 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out all the fixes for 5.6 on the patch releases page.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Environment Pack [available]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jacal, Apr 25, 2012.

1. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

I clicked to update the pack but says no new updates available. Trees did not look like they had new textures to me.

Which prefabs did you see updated?

2. Assets-Reporter

Assets-Reporter

The latest we tested is the 1.5.1
    All the building elements for example was updated to PBR.
    For the trees they are using the Nature Tree Creator ones, so they are up to date.

chelnok likes this.
  3. Gojira96

Gojira96

This is how a demo scene looks like to me:

Trees.jpg

Does anybody know what might be causing this?
    So far this asset is unusable.
    I am using Unity 5.1.1f1

4. MotuProprio

MotuProprio

I saw this problem with the trees with Deferred light in Player setting, try to switch to forward.

Assets-Reporter and rosor like this.
  5. rosor

rosor

What he said.

Assets-Reporter likes this.
  6. Gojira96

Gojira96

Thank you,everything works perfectly now.

7. cjhmdm

cjhmdm

Hello, is it normal for a very significant portion of the "optimized [name] material" to show up as nothing but white circles? I feel like I'm missing more than half of the package I bought or something.

8. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi, I'm having this issue. I'm in deferred/linear color space.

Why the autumn LOD0 trees have this washed out look?
    How can I fix it?

Changing to linear doesn't seem to change much. Same tree, just washed out colors.
    Is it a shader problem?

I need to work in HDR, linear color space.

I'm using Unity 4.6.3f1 Pro

[​IMG]

Thanks for your time.

9. MotuProprio

MotuProprio

I'm not sure, but it seems a problem with the billboard.

10. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Nope, all the trees in the pictures are LOD0 and LOD1, they're not yet billboards, they are still polygonal. While LOD1 seems ok (autumn coloured) LOD0 seems to have shader/texture issues in linear color space. I don't know if it's a Unity problem or what, but the difference while playing is not so subtle to remain unnoticed. :(

11. ibyte

ibyte

I wish there was a way just to search one thread in the Unity forums.

These packs come bundled with Unity Standard assets like Water and Image effects. Have these been altered at all or are they stock?

What is the best way to prevent conflicts if the standard assets from Unity are also installed or multiple packs are installed and they all include the same scripts??

DesertRaven likes this.
  12. Shawn67

Shawn67

No clue if they are altered or not. Whenever I see them in a pack, I uncheck them and discard them. I absolutely hate when they are bundled with a pack. lol

There is a way to search a single thread. It just isn't linked anywhere. Bookmark this link. When you are on a thread you are wanting to search, copy the number after the period without the thread name (in the case of this thread it would be 133651). That is the thread id#. I made the link above for this thread, so just replace the 133651 in that link with the thread number of any other thread you are looking to search. I have no idea why Unity got rid of the link. Such a pain to have to deal with a bookmark and all the copy and pasting where we should just be able to click a link or button on a thread we want to search to search that thread.

DesertRaven and ibyte like this.
  13. ibyte

ibyte

Thanks! Shawn

14. Shawn67

Shawn67

np.. Always glad to help.. I remember how thankful I was when I saw someone else post that a couple months back.. The least I can do is pay it forward! :p

15. Carve_Online

Carve_Online

What I usually do is put the full pack into a new project and run the demo scene from the new project, Especially big ones like this.. Then from that project, I export the stuff I need.

This also gives you a good start when tracking down problems like mentioned above with linear color and forward/deferred lighting. If the authors project is one thing, and yours is another, that is probably what the problem is. If you never see their demo scene, then you don´t know what settings the screenshots used.

16. futurewavecs

futurewavecs

17. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

By design they said! How can anyone accept this unwanted behaviour as "by design"!
    Same thing for particle systems, they broke all stretched particle systems not using world space for some reason, and I had to go through *thousands* of prefabs to fix them! Meh!

So, is Forward mode the only way to make trees look good? Luckily my project was quite foggy and the issue wasn't noticeable.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  18. futurewavecs

futurewavecs

I am fortunately just gathering all of my assets in a big scene so I can walk around and kind of window shop across multiple packs and do some tweaking to get them looking as similar as possible. I did notice the ghost like trunks of all of those trees though so started digging around. Changing to Forward rendering does indeed fix the problem, but if you plan on having a lot of dynamic lights in your scenes that can be a bad thing.

I have my project on Forward Rendering at the moment. I don't know whether I can afford to leave it there or not. Do I have enough tree variety across my packs to NOT need these few. I certainly cannot afford to go the Speed Tree route, they may look good but they are still too expensive for my budget.

I do own all of your packs though @NeatWolf. I did notice you updating them recently and that stretching explains it. I am still running 5.3.4 but I have toyed with trying out the 5.4 beta to see if the TreeCreator bark in Deferred Rendering is still a problem.

HakJak likes this.
  19. HakJak

HakJak

For some weird reason I can't get any Tree Creator trees to work with deferred rendering either. All the trunks light up with a weird, white washed-out look.

DesertRaven likes this.
  20. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

I just killed a whole project that I was working on for 2 weeks by importing this BIG environment pack and having been to lazy, or confused, to un check any possible standard assets that are bundled in.
    It amazes me how unorganized the folder structure of this asset is. It's like a wild guess what to import and what not to avoid error messages and conflicts.

21. Jaimi

Jaimi

You can fix it most of the way by reimporting the standard assets.

DesertRaven likes this.