Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Environment Pack [available]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jacal, Apr 25, 2012.

1. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

I clicked to update the pack but says no new updates available. Trees did not look like they had new textures to me.

Which prefabs did you see updated?

2. Assets-Reporter

Assets-Reporter

The latest we tested is the 1.5.1
    All the building elements for example was updated to PBR.
    For the trees they are using the Nature Tree Creator ones, so they are up to date.

chelnok likes this.
  3. Gojira96

Gojira96

This is how a demo scene looks like to me:

Trees.jpg

Does anybody know what might be causing this?
    So far this asset is unusable.
    I am using Unity 5.1.1f1

4. MotuProprio

MotuProprio

I saw this problem with the trees with Deferred light in Player setting, try to switch to forward.

5. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

What he said.

Assets-Reporter likes this.
  6. Gojira96

Gojira96

Thank you,everything works perfectly now.

7. cjhmdm

cjhmdm

Hello, is it normal for a very significant portion of the "optimized [name] material" to show up as nothing but white circles? I feel like I'm missing more than half of the package I bought or something.

8. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi, I'm having this issue. I'm in deferred/linear color space.

Why the autumn LOD0 trees have this washed out look?
    How can I fix it?

Changing to linear doesn't seem to change much. Same tree, just washed out colors.
    Is it a shader problem?

I need to work in HDR, linear color space.

I'm using Unity 4.6.3f1 Pro

Thanks for your time.

9. MotuProprio

MotuProprio

I'm not sure, but it seems a problem with the billboard.

10. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Nope, all the trees in the pictures are LOD0 and LOD1, they're not yet billboards, they are still polygonal. While LOD1 seems ok (autumn coloured) LOD0 seems to have shader/texture issues in linear color space. I don't know if it's a Unity problem or what, but the difference while playing is not so subtle to remain unnoticed. :(

11. ibyte

ibyte

I wish there was a way just to search one thread in the Unity forums.

These packs come bundled with Unity Standard assets like Water and Image effects. Have these been altered at all or are they stock?

What is the best way to prevent conflicts if the standard assets from Unity are also installed or multiple packs are installed and they all include the same scripts??

DesertRaven likes this.
  12. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

No clue if they are altered or not. Whenever I see them in a pack, I uncheck them and discard them. I absolutely hate when they are bundled with a pack. lol

There is a way to search a single thread. It just isn't linked anywhere. Bookmark this link. When you are on a thread you are wanting to search, copy the number after the period without the thread name (in the case of this thread it would be 133651). That is the thread id#. I made the link above for this thread, so just replace the 133651 in that link with the thread number of any other thread you are looking to search. I have no idea why Unity got rid of the link. Such a pain to have to deal with a bookmark and all the copy and pasting where we should just be able to click a link or button on a thread we want to search to search that thread.

DesertRaven and ibyte like this.
  13. ibyte

ibyte

Thanks! Shawn

14. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

np.. Always glad to help.. I remember how thankful I was when I saw someone else post that a couple months back.. The least I can do is pay it forward! :p

15. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

What I usually do is put the full pack into a new project and run the demo scene from the new project, Especially big ones like this.. Then from that project, I export the stuff I need.

This also gives you a good start when tracking down problems like mentioned above with linear color and forward/deferred lighting. If the authors project is one thing, and yours is another, that is probably what the problem is. If you never see their demo scene, then you don´t know what settings the screenshots used.

16. futurewavecs

futurewavecs

17. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

By design they said! How can anyone accept this unwanted behaviour as "by design"!
    Same thing for particle systems, they broke all stretched particle systems not using world space for some reason, and I had to go through *thousands* of prefabs to fix them! Meh!

So, is Forward mode the only way to make trees look good? Luckily my project was quite foggy and the issue wasn't noticeable.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  18. futurewavecs

futurewavecs

I am fortunately just gathering all of my assets in a big scene so I can walk around and kind of window shop across multiple packs and do some tweaking to get them looking as similar as possible. I did notice the ghost like trunks of all of those trees though so started digging around. Changing to Forward rendering does indeed fix the problem, but if you plan on having a lot of dynamic lights in your scenes that can be a bad thing.

I have my project on Forward Rendering at the moment. I don't know whether I can afford to leave it there or not. Do I have enough tree variety across my packs to NOT need these few. I certainly cannot afford to go the Speed Tree route, they may look good but they are still too expensive for my budget.

I do own all of your packs though @NeatWolf. I did notice you updating them recently and that stretching explains it. I am still running 5.3.4 but I have toyed with trying out the 5.4 beta to see if the TreeCreator bark in Deferred Rendering is still a problem.

HakJak likes this.
  19. HakJak

HakJak

For some weird reason I can't get any Tree Creator trees to work with deferred rendering either. All the trunks light up with a weird, white washed-out look.

DesertRaven likes this.
  20. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

I just killed a whole project that I was working on for 2 weeks by importing this BIG environment pack and having been to lazy, or confused, to un check any possible standard assets that are bundled in.
    It amazes me how unorganized the folder structure of this asset is. It's like a wild guess what to import and what not to avoid error messages and conflicts.

21. Jaimi

Jaimi

You can fix it most of the way by reimporting the standard assets.

DesertRaven likes this.
  22. Salja

Salja

will be the BIG Environment Pack Vol.2 and 1.5 sometime updatet ? I will buy all 3 but when not more updatet is better i look for other packs

23. Xoduz

Xoduz

I wish the trees in these packages (BEP, BEP Vol.2, not sure about Vol.3) were setup properly for wind (leaves/small branches desperately need Main Wind/Main Turbulence set to 0). And to work in linear colorspace & deferred rendering without artifacts.

And that all objects weren't scaled to fit giants by default :X Put a chair next to a 2m tall human character, and the chair is taller...

Other than that, these packages are great! :)

24. Darakon

Darakon

I would like to purchase all three package. I like the art style and the content.
    But I'm scared because many comments say, that the packages are out of date.
    So, how good are they really working in untiy 2019 ?
    What is not working? Can it be fixed manually?

NeatWolf likes this.
  25. SecretAnorak

SecretAnorak

It this wonderful asset dead? I can't seem to get it to work in any recent version of Unity.
    2017.x crashes on import.
    2018+ imports but has 150+ errors referring to missing prefabs and GUID errors.

Leaving me with demo scenes that look like this:
    upload_2020-5-26_20-17-31.png

I have managed to salvage the trees by painstakingly reassigning all the textures, but the terrains have far too many missing textures for me to unravel.

Is there a way to restore this magnificent asset to its former glory?

26. futurewavecs

futurewavecs

I can't speak for the author but likely it is just a matter of adjusting the materials and perhaps dragging some textures into slots. I imported this into 2019 a couple of months ago. I didn't have problems but I tend to manipulate textures and materials myself so I don't even stick to the baselines. I tend to make atlases and such to reduce draw calls by mixing assets from multiple sources. What you are showing there to me looks like either the material is wrong, OR on the material see if EMISSION is checked and set to WHITE without having an emissive texture. If it is then you'll get the white look I see there. You can either drag the appropriate emissive texture into the emission slot or you can uncheck emission and it will fix it if that is the cause.

SecretAnorak likes this.
  27. SecretAnorak

SecretAnorak

Just thought I'd share my success with getting these assets up and running with Unity 2019.4 LTS.

Don't try importing directly, it won't work. Here's what I did:

Download Unity 5.6 & Unity 2018.4.

Make a new 5.6 project and import your big enviro pack.

Close the project then open it up in 2018.4. Unity will convert everything and complain about some postprocessing assets. Delete the offending post-process folder and close Unity.

Open the project up in 2019.4 LTS, again lots of converting will take place and POW!@#?....... Your big environment pack is fully working in 2019.4

Export so you don't have to do all that again :)

Rinse and repeat for all your lovely Philip Schmidt packs.

Enjoy.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  28. Jacal

Jacal

Hope you all having a nice Christmas time and sorry for the long silence, good news the Big Environment Pack is still alive and fine, more info coming soon.

29. Jacal

Jacal

Happy New Year all, I just uploaded the BEP Reforged to the Asset Store, the standard price will be $75 and $25 as a upgrade from the old BEP.
    It's on Built-in Render Pipline but I plan to update it to Urp when the planned Unity Tree Editor fix is live.

30. Jacal

Jacal

Hi again, I just wanted to say that the Big Environment Pack reforged is now live at the AssetStore:

Big Environment Pack Reforged

Thanks for all your support and I hope you will like it!
    Cheers,
    Philipp

31. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Hi @Jacal (Philipp) looking really nice. I only own Vol.3 and the Mobile pack so sadly not seeing the update discount on this. Do you have any plans to update Vol.3?
    Also can you explain a little about what you've updated in the Reforged version?

Jacal likes this.
  32. Jacal

Jacal

Hi Jerome, I can't promise 100% but I have plans for a reforged Mobile Environment Pack in the near future.

For the reforged pack I pretty much rebuilt everything, I increased the Terrain resolution and reworked the textures.
    I rendered the textures for the vegetation again for higher resolution and resculpted and remodeled all the rest from scratch like buildings, props, rocks, stones and vegetation to that I made new fire vfx like (campfire & torch). I added also nature and ambient sounds to bring the scenes more to life.

33. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

An updated mobile pack sounds great! I tend to use these for VR so please keep the texture maps high res (it's easy to downscale if necessary), or better still atlas as much as you can, while reducing mesh complexity :)

Looks like all that work's really paid off. It's on my list for when I next need an environment :)

Jacal likes this.
  34. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Jacal - how easy is this asset to convert to URP?

35. Jacal

Jacal

pixelR, BackwoodsGaming and Duffer123 like this.
  36. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Jacal - thanks for the update and link. Think I will buy.... :)

I am also wondering whether the Nature Shaders might be a work around with that too...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
  37. Jacal

Jacal

@Duffer123 thanks for your support man, I hope it will be usefull for you!

I'm not sure if it's working with the unity trees but Nature Shaders looking awesome, just watched the newest video!

Duffer123 likes this.
  38. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Jacal - hopefully so, but your asset looks like just what I need anyway, so I bought it...

Jacal likes this.
  39. _Bucket_

_Bucket_

Looking good , excited for hdrp support

Jacal likes this.
  40. Jacal

Jacal

@_Bucket_ Thanks man, when the tree creator trees, terrain detail meshes and grass will be supported I'll also make a hdrp version.

Kory-therapy and _Bucket_ like this.
  41. psistalk

psistalk

I'm looking forward to the HDRP version. I bought the original one when it first came out. The looks in standard are great I cant wait to see the HDRP version.

Kory-therapy and Jacal like this.
  42. Jacal

Jacal

Hi all, today I finished the Low-Poly version of the Big Environment Pack and it will be soon available at the Unity AssetStore, I'm uploading it just right now so hopefully it will not take too long till it is live.

More info coming soon.

Swyfft, BackwoodsGaming and Jaimi like this.
  43. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Heyas Philipp! Great to see you active again! I've always been a big fan. I own all your packs and understand how big of a job it is to update them. Would love to eventually see updates to your other packs as well!

Jacal likes this.
  44. Jacal

Jacal

@BackwoodsGaming Thanks man, I'm very happy to hear that! I'm planning to reforge the Mobile Environment Pack next after bringing the Low-Poly BEP also to URP.
    I would love to reforge the other packages after that aswell but I can't
    guarantee or give an exact time point because I am also working on a game project together with my brother.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  45. Wolvenmoon

Wolvenmoon

Hey!

Just wanted to say that I bought this asset because it looks awesome even though I can't use it, yet. I wanted to support development of the HDRP version. :)

Have a great day/night!

Jacal likes this.
  46. Jacal

Jacal

@Wolvenmoon Thanks a lot man, much appreciated! I'm currently figuring things out to bring it to URP & HDRP.

47. Jacal

Jacal

I just found out that the Low-Poly Big Environment Pack is now live at the AssetStore, you can check it out here:
    Low-Poly Big Environment Pack

48. Invector

Invector

@Jacal you have done an excellent job on this package mate, each area is really well thought and the quality is exceptional!

I'm however experiences constantly crashes using Unity 2020.3.30f1 LTS, do you recommend a specific release?
    I do have 16gb of ram and when the crashes occurs it's very close to max usage.

Another detail is that once I remove the Occlusion my fps improved greatly.

Jacal likes this.
  49. Jacal

Jacal

@Invector Thanks a lot man I'm glad you like it, much appreciated!
    I'm sorry to hear you got crashes, at the moment I'm using Unity 2020.3.4f1, I have also 16 GB RAM and in the editor (playmode) it uses between 2.7 - 3 GB and the build about 1.7-1.8 GB.
    Have you tried to clear the Occlusion data and bake it again is then the perfomance still better without Occlusion culling?
    Have you tried MemTest already, I had years also chrashes with bigger scenes and I found out after using MemTest that one of my RAM bars was defect and causes the crashes.

I'm sure we will find a solution with this.

50. koirat

koirat

Thumbs Up for HDRP version.

Jacal likes this.