Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[BETA PROGRAM] Landscape Builder - realworld, GPU acceleration, prefab placement

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sstrong, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Dave_2000

Dave_2000

Could you provide some more information about what you would like specifically?

2. Dave_2000

Dave_2000

We're looking into doing something like that but there is nothing to announce yet - it's still in the research phase.

3. skrx1

skrx1

Hello, I am an amateur enthusiast do not understand programming, but before the play "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim> MOD production, this tool here, the specific you can install a MOD research http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/62698/?

4. skrx1

skrx1

I just want a function:
    1. Build a mountain with LB and then use it to bake out a distant picture
    2.LB to develop a script, directly to the picture generated as a surrounded by the vision

5. skrx1

skrx1

TES5LODGen is a very useful tool, the effect is very good. Even more than <The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt> vision is good

6. skrx1

skrx1

This is the effect map, this tool can also produce items of the vision

7. skrx1

skrx1

8. skrx1

skrx1

I also bought Sky Master ULTIMATE, if you improve the SKY help, I can provide you.

9. skrx1

skrx1

10. skrx1

skrx1

Thank you for your tutorial, I have not read the LB tutorial. First collection of finishing model resources to complete the use of LB.

11. magique

magique

12. sstrong

sstrong

BUG: `LBLandscape' does not contain a definition for `GetMegaSplatAutoClosePainter'

v1.3.7 QFE 1 is now available through our Beta Program.

ISSUE: When attempting to create a build with v1.3.7 Released version you may receive the following error:

Assets/LandscapeBuilder/Scripts/Classes/LBLandscapeOperations.cs(286,65): error CS0117: `LBLandscape' does not contain a definition for `GetMegaSplatAutoClosePainter'

FIX: Download and Apply LandscapeBuilder_v1.3.7_qfe1_patchonly.unitypackage OR LandscapeBuilder_v1.4.0_Beta3a or newer.

If you have this issue and don't have access to the Beta Program download area, please contact us with your Name, email address, and Unity invoice number.

13. sstrong

sstrong

QFE or Beta?

What is the difference between a QFE and a Beta version of Landscape Builder?

Betas include all changes since the last Unity Asset Store release, including work in progress on new or improved features.

Quick Fix Engineering (QFE) packages are limited to fixing specific issues with a released version of LB. Typically they will only address problems that prevents your team from working on or building your game or project. QFEs do not include new features.

14. sstrong

sstrong

New in 1.4.0 Beta 4J - Available Now for existing customers

[IMPROVED] Support for Unity 5.6
    [IMPROVED] Support for Beta testing on Unity 2017.0.b1
    [IMPROVED] LBTemplate - runtime support for creating Map Path meshes
    [IMPROVED] LBImageFX - SSRR quality and performance upgrade
    [IMPROVED] LBImageFX - Clouds are reflected with SSRR
    [NEW] Weather - Hail
    [NEW] Weather - Cloud Styles
    [NEW] Texture Generator - noise textures

15. sstrong

sstrong

1.4.0 Beta 5b adds:

[IMPROVED] Trees - Enable/disable tinting and vary tint strength

Coming Soon
    Stencils - the ability to draw where the topography, textures, trees, grass, mesh, prefabs etc. will be placed in a landscape using a map-like feature.

16. txarly

txarly

Is possible to choose the color of the tint on trees?

17. sstrong

sstrong

This will be in the next release. NOTE: Tint will only be applied if the tree shader honours the Unity Terrain TreeInstance color property.

txarly likes this.
  18. txarly

txarly

Estimated time for next version with stencils?
    thanks

19. sstrong

sstrong

We're hoping to have a beta out in the next 3 weeks with a release in late June. However, that will all depend on how the feature develops. We may have a beta sooner however we don't want to break existing features for those of you who use beta's in your production pipeline.

txarly likes this.
  20. sstrong

sstrong

The first Beta of Stencils is now available. The current build 1.4.0. Beta 9a, includes:

[FIXED] Apply Template warning "LBFilter.UpdateTextures - List of available textures is empty"
    [IMPROVED] Support for Unity 5.6
    [IMPROVED] Support for Unity 2017.1.0
    [IMPROVED] LBTemplate - runtime support for creating Map Path meshes
    [IMPROVED] LBImageFX - SSRR quality and performance upgrade
    [IMPROVED] LBImageFX - Clouds are reflected with SSRR
    [IMPROVED] Trees - Enable/disable tinting and vary tint strength
    [IMPROVED] Mesh or Prefabs - Extend Min Proximity range to 0-1000m
    [NEW] Weather - Hail
    [NEW] Weather - Cloud Styles
    [NEW] Texture Generator - noise textures
    [NEW] Stencils - paint procedural placement maps in the editor

21. sstrong

sstrong

Stencils - paint 2D Maps in the Editor for 3D procedural placement

Landscape Builder v1.4.0 Release is now available in the beta download area. It will soon be available from the Unity Store.

A Stencils Tutorial is available here.

22. sstrong

sstrong

Stencils - working with your own 2D Maps

Some people may have their own scene layout maps. They may have painted or drawn these in a 3rd party image editor. In 1.4.1, you'll be able to import them as PNG files into Stencil Layers from their grayscale, alpha, red, green or blue channels. No need to bring them into the Unity project, just import them from their existing location.

And, of course, you are then free to modify the 2D layer from within the Unity Editor using our Stencil painting tools.

Existing LB users can download the beta version. If you don't have access, send us your Unity invoice number and we'll add you in.

upload_2017-9-11_20-24-57.png

23. sstrong

sstrong

In the latest Beta (1.4.1 Beta 1d), there is now native support for Stencil Layers in Texturing, Trees, Grass, Mesh/Prefab placement filters. This improves the workflow of not having to save Map textures, and it provides finer-grain blending.

24. sstrong

sstrong

The latest Beta (1.4.2 Beta 1g) contains mainly runtime features.

[FIXED] Importing a template does not update alphamap resolution
    [FIXED] LBLighting - cannot remove an empty ImageFX camera slot using Delete (X) button
    [IMPROVED] RuntimeSample04 and RuntimeSample05 updated
    [IMPROVED] Runtime - Create C# for Landscape Terrain Settings from Script Button in Editor
    [IMPROVED] Runtime - Create C# for Curves from Script Buttons in Editor
    [NEW] Runtime methods ApplyTopography, ApplyTextures, ApplyTrees, ApplyGrass, ApplyMeshes
    [NEW] Runtime - Use Stencils at runtime for procedural placement
    [NEW] Runtime - Create C# for Topography Layers from Script Button in Editor
    [NEW] Runtime - Create C# for MapPaths from Script Button in Editor
    [NEW] Export landscape heightmaps to RAW files

25. sstrong

sstrong

Upon request, we've added in some more features to the current 1.4.2 beta of Landscape Builder and made some other improvements.

[FIXED] Importing a template does not update alphamap resolution
    [FIXED] LBLighting - cannot remove an empty ImageFX camera slot using Delete (X) button
    [FIXED] DemoScene2 - grass does not load from template in runtime build (tex not read/write)
    [FIXED] Scene view may display large triangle in Unity 5.5 if Grass Path Fading Mode is Don’t Fade
    [FIXED] Texturing - TerrainData is missing splat texture (when there is no valid texture)
    [IMPROVED] RuntimeSample04 and RuntimeSample05 updated
    [IMPROVED] Runtime - Create C# for Landscape Terrain Settings from Script Button in Editor
    [IMPROVED] Runtime - Create C# for Curves from Script Buttons in Editor
    [IMPROVED] Template - Selectively import Topography, Textures, Trees, Grass, and Meshes.
    [IMPROVED] Texturing - missing texture and normalmap detection
    [IMPROVED] Grass - missing grass texture and prefab detection
    [IMPROVED] Support for Unity 2017.2
    [NEW] Runtime methods ApplyTopography, ApplyTextures, ApplyTrees, ApplyGrass, ApplyMeshes
    [NEW] Runtime - Use Stencils at runtime for procedural placement
    [NEW] Runtime - Create C# for Topography Layers from Script Button in Editor
    [NEW] Runtime - Create C# for MapPaths from Script Button in Editor
    [NEW] Export landscape heightmaps to RAW files
    [NEW] Import terrains created outside LB into Topography Layers
    [NEW] Import terrain ground textures (splatmaps) created outside LB
    [NEW] Import terrain trees created outside LB
    [NEW] Import terrain grass textures created outside LB
    [NEW] Transfer terrains created outside LB via Templates to other scenes or projects
    [NEW] Grass - added support for mesh prefabs (Grass and Vertex Lit)

This includes adding support for Unity Terrain detail (grass) meshes. Typically you'll use a Grass Rendering Mode of "Grass" for meshes that support wind zones and can respond accordingly. The Rendering Mode of Vertex Lit is typically used for static objects like rocks.

So you might ask "Why has it taken the LB Team this long to add support for native Unity Terrain detail meshes?"

Most of our functionality for mesh placement comes through the LB "Mesh" tab which also can take prefabs. We include some optimisations and also some nice features like Align with Terrain, Deploy as Clusters, Grass/Tree Proximity, Flatten Terrain, Proximity layer and tag filtering.

As always, it comes down to what you're trying to do in your scene. What works for one game development team, may not be the best approach for another. But we're listening.

All of the above is available in Landscape Builder 1.4.2 Beta 5c.

26. sstrong

sstrong

Real-world terrains using GeoTIFF

The latest beta supports importing real-world terrain data from GeoTIFF files. Most of the globe is covered with data in this format. Let us know if you see any issues.

Here is the latest tutorial which demonstrates how you can start creating real-world locations in just a few minutes.

27. sstrong

sstrong

Landscape Builder 1.4.4 Beta 3i is now available and contains:

[FIXED] MapPath points cannot have -ve z-axis locations when a landscape has a -ve z start position
    [FIXED] 'Could not open TIFF file' and 'RAW File does not exist' errors when importing TIFF from network folder
    [FIXED] MegaSplat integration - shader compile error when setting Material Type to MegaSplat in Landscape tab
    [FIXED] Paths and Stencils are not linked correctly when importing a template directly from the Inspector
    [FIXED] Legacy Noise Offset and Non Square Terrains advanced settings not saved between sessions
    [FIXED] Export heightmap to PNG uses world space size instead of heightmap resolution
    [FIXED] Texturing - Area Filter ignores Landscape start position in worldspace
    [IMPROVED] Export to Mesh - reduce the number of terrain meshes created (in most cases 50% less)
    [IMPROVED] Texture Filters - new Area and Stencil NOT option
    [IMPROVED] Tree Filters - new Stencil NOT option
    [IMPROVED] Grass Filters - new Stencil NOT option

28. sstrong

sstrong

Landscape Builder 2.0.0 Alpha 1i is now available and contains:

[NEW] Topography Image Modifiers with in-scene visualisation, positioning and rotation
    [NEW] Topography Image Modifiers with RAW (16bit) and PNG support
    [NEW] Groups - advanced procedural prefab placement
    [NEW] 3D Group Designer - beginner, artist, level designer, and programmer friendly
    [FIXED] MapPath points cannot have -ve z-axis locations when a landscape has a -ve z start position
    [FIXED] 'Could not open TIFF file' and 'RAW File does not exist' errors when importing TIFF from network folder
    [FIXED] MegaSplat integration - shader compile error when setting Material Type to MegaSplat in Landscape tab
    [FIXED] Paths and Stencils are not linked correctly when importing a template directly from the Inspector
    [FIXED] Legacy Noise Offset and Non Square Terrains advanced settings not saved between sessions
    [FIXED] Export heightmap to PNG uses world space size instead of heightmap resolution
    [FIXED] Texturing - Area Filter ignores Landscape start position in worldspace
    [FIXED] Mesh/Prefabs - Combined Meshes have incorrect position when landscape does not start at 0,0,0
    [FIXED] Import Unity Trees - Tinting is not working on trees that support colour tinting
    [IMPROVED] Export to Mesh - reduce the number of terrain meshes created (in most cases 50% less)
    [IMPROVED] Texture Filters - new Area and Stencil NOT option
    [IMPROVED] Tree Filters - new Stencil NOT option
    [IMPROVED] Grass Filters - new Stencil NOT option
    [IMPROVED] Mesh/Prefabs - Combined Meshes has better detection of empty objects
    [IMPROVED] Grass - now supports imported 3D model mesh prefab

29. eaque

eaque

This asset now looks very much like what i have always wanted, adding layers is better than stamping only cause we can redo and change things without messing the rest!! ;)

So if i use my main Raw map on my 4 terrain tiles in LB i'm supposed to add things to those terrains and modify them like i want always keeping the main layer untouched?! right:)
    Let's say i want to put a canyon in the middle of the map (so it will affect my 4 terrains at the same time)
    is it possible? adding a layer with blended option and center it in the middle of the map?;)

Guess i'm gonna try it cause it seems so easy to understand compared with some other stuff

30. eaque

eaque

31. sstrong

sstrong

Sure. Here is a quick view of a RAW file imported from the old Unity Bootcamp demo, scaled and rotated into the middle of a 2x2 terrain landscape.

upload_2018-1-5_20-25-56.png

There is a minor bug in the current Alpha. You need to select a category other than "Custom" before clicking the "Custom RAW" import button.

32. eaque

eaque

:):):):) thanks a lot!

Man!I don't want to talk to much before i see it but do you know how hard it is to find something doing that and "the easy way" on multi tiles???!!!!!! Congrats! i'm very impressed!

You should communicate on that with maybe one video not a tutorial cause yours is already good (i watched it;))...
    just to show quickly those layers added on top of each other like in Gimp or Photoshop! texture and populate quickly...People gonna understand real quick what they can do with it!;):cool::)

Cheers!

33. sstrong

sstrong

:) The Alpha version is still a work-in-progress but most of the layer and image modifier stuff should be pretty stable, The 3D Group Designer is mostly complete but we're still working on Texturing and Grass within Procedural Groups. We've still got some work to do on erosion. We'll have more videos shortly.

Let us know if you see any issues.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  34. eaque

eaque

Hi, i can't find a way to apply my raw maps...
    upload_2018-1-5_22-33-5.png

35. eaque

eaque

I created a new landscape 4 terrains, i have a folder with 4 raw maps inside i click raw but there is an error..
    What am i missing?

36. eaque

eaque

is there a way to have a preview of the layer before generating like in your video i see nothing i can move or scale ?

37. eaque

eaque

OK i found res of the terrain didn't match...Do you know terrain composer1 it would be good to choose the res we want no matter the raw map res. Cause it would require to export a raw map for each resolution....
    ;)

38. eaque

eaque

when i texture it, any idea?
    upload_2018-1-5_23-17-49.png

39. eaque

eaque

the background are the terrains not made in LB

40. eaque

eaque

Now it works! :)
    time to sleep, i set the basics i will dig into manipulating the raw map !
    Very nice texturing by the way!
    Cheers!

41. sstrong

sstrong

Glad you got it working. Preview works in the new Image Modifier layers using a single 16-bit RAW or 8-bit PNG file. When importing multiple RAW files into a landscape we have no way to preview those files.

However, you should get a message telling you the correct heightmap resolution to use. The message should look something like the following:

WARNING: LBTerrainData.ImportHeightmapRAW - The RAW data file resolution (257) does not match the terrain heightmap resolution (513) LB V2.0 Bootmap2.LandscapeTerrain0000 file: D:/Projects/Unity/LandscapeBuilder/LB200Beta_U201730f3/Assets/LandscapeBuilder/Heightmaps/LB V2.0 Bootmap\LandscapeTerrain0000.raw

It is a simple fix to go to the Landscape tab, expand "Terrain Settings", change the "Heightmap Resolution", click "Apply Terrain Settings" and try the import again. I'm assuming that's what you did in your case, right?

42. eaque

eaque

Yes that's what i did! gonna play tonight!;)

sstrong likes this.
  43. eaque

eaque

sorry to bother again: i can't stamp the raw map ..i press generate heightmap but the layer 2 doesnt show...
    upload_2018-1-6_23-8-44.png

44. sstrong

sstrong

Try lifting it up a little

45. sstrong

sstrong

Make sure other samples like ones from the Mountains Category works ok.

46. eaque

eaque

good morning!
    there is an error each time i generate height map <ith the second layer on...?i put the texture in the heightmap gile of LB though...
    upload_2018-1-7_12-30-30.png

47. sstrong

sstrong

Sorry about that. Please try the latest patch:

LandscapeBuilder_v2.0.0_Alpha2c_patchonly

I think it is related to an issue we fixed earlier. You may need to restart Unity after applying the patch (re-open the same project).

48. eaque

eaque

now everything is messed up can't understand those height problems values change all the times and they don't even stich! lol

49. eaque

eaque

50. eaque

eaque

when i click "fix"