Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Beta going into final mode -> Really??

Discussion in '5.2 Beta' started by ImpossibleRobert, Jul 31, 2015.

?

Is the beta running stable for you?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. No

39 vote(s)
    78.0%
  1. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

As always on Friday I was looking forward to the new beta. I got my coffee and started to read through the release notes. But they are broken. They only contained 20 lines. Oh. They are not broken I suddenly realized. It looks like Unity is prepping for a final 5.2 release and only puts in very few things now.

I am a bit in wonder: Are you really in that state already? Every beta after b3 crashes constantly. b5 is still unusable. I reported several different crash bugs and none have been addressed so far. Maybe they will in the next betas to make it in time but if it stays like this I am kinda worried.

Am I the only one having crash issues?

Jodon and Meltdown like this.
  2. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

Stable? Not even close.

It crashes when I put the mouse near the toolbar near the top (as is listed as a known issue). Builds on my Mac crash immediately on start-up. My meshes aren't displaying at all, using the same code that displayed meshes fine on 5.1.

And who knows what else causes Unity to crash, seems to crash randomly if I type things in input fields for example. And randomly just about any other time.

Not to mention half the time my inspector window gets replaced with the Connect window and I can't change it without restarting Unity...

Far from stable.

3. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Can you please share your bug numbers? We're trying to be regular on shipping builds during beta to get changes out regularly. We aren't aiming to wait for fixes until we start finalizing.

4. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Actually already fixed, but missed the cutoff of this build. It's beta, so we don't hold the builds as easily.

Bug number?

Would appreciate bugs numbers for these as well.

5. schmosef

schmosef

Here's my case #: 711891

I started a thread in the beta forum about this here.

The asset I was helping to test, which works fine in 5.1.x, has since been published here.

I'm in the middle of installing 5.2.0b5 to confirm if this is still an issue.

6. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Probably still a problem, as another person listed a bug that's still occurring. Definitely on our radar to fix though before ship.

7. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Here is the list of the currently open crash bugs i have:

(Open) Editor crashes upon entering play mode

(Open) Editor crashes during game play

(Open) Crash after pressing play

(Open) Crash after changing anti aliasing and pressing play

MrEsquire likes this.
  8. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Are both the Probuilder related crash still that we need to look into (and per the other thread, Probuilder may have a workaround for the time being) (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/constant-crashes-on-play.338596/#post-2191119)

These two are UI and VR related respectively. We're investigating.

9. schmosef

schmosef

Thanks @Alex Lian, I've just confirmed that the Editor crash is still happening with beta 5.

I hope you guys can address this before the official release.

10. terravires

terravires

Um... what about the other bugs like Image fill (714926) and sprite removal when gameobject toggled active (don't have that # handy)? Those are not mentioned in the B5 release notes but someone confirmed it was going to be fixed but not when. Does that mean they will not be in 5.2 final?

Every time I download a new beta I find at and report a few bugs, seems way too early to be pushing final.

11. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Well, we're shipping September 8th, or 5 weeks from now. A lot of bug-fixing can still happen in that time.

And, of course: once 5.2 is out, we will be shipping weekly patches for it, just as we've done for 4.6, 5.0, and 5.1 before it. So if something doesn't make the very first 5.2 release, you may still see it appear the week after.

hopeful likes this.
  12. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

You're looking at it too deeply. The reason for reduced number of changesets compared to other betas is because it's end of July/start of August - many many people are on vacation.

13. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Backwards compatibility related to how geometry is submitted to the Canvas system is still not functional in Beta 5.

Here is a simple Repro Case 716597 showing one of the issues I am running into.

Ideally, my users should be able to use TextMesh Pro in Unity 5.2 and have everything work.

Obviously I am planning on switching over to using the Mesh Class instead of UiVertex and .SetVertices. The previous API implementation should work as it did in 5.1.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  14. tbg10101_

tbg10101_

I'm having the same issue (716761) of the editor crashing when going into play mode. Unfortunately my bug report probably won't be that useful because I couldn't attach my project.

One small note: I can enter play mode if the initial scene is very simple. If that scene loads a more complicated scene, the game plays correctly. The editor crashes if I just try to play the complicated scene directly.

15. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

I am not aware currently that one of the 4 I posted is ProBuilder related. There was one (709829, 709832, 709844) which I solved by a ProBuilder update. Since tons of users use ProBuilder I am not sure it's a good strategy to let it slip through with that explanation but it's your call.
    • 715005 can be mitigated by using less dialog options in adventure creator (must be looked into though, but not a ship-stopper)
    • 713630 happens still, workaround is to change quality settings, save scene, restart Unity, otherwise it crashes
    • 714983 is a duplicate to 713630 and can be closed
    • 715050 is still happening in b5, I just attached new crash reports, for me there is no mitigation so far and therefore would be a stopper for me
    I actually intended to list this one that also still happens in b5 but since it also happens in b3 so it is probably no stopper for Unity, just for me and I really really hope you do find a solution:
    • 713310 (Open) Switch scene while in playmode crashed editor, mitigation is to not switch scenes in playmode, so much for testing the game
    Thanks for all your efforts Unity. Really appreciated. Hope you find our reports helpful and can get some of these resolved after vacation period and have an awesome 5.2 release! Looking forward to an early 5.3 Beta cycle ;-)

16. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Thanks for the further info.

I was making the call based on crash stacks I saw in the reported bugs. They still resembled the previous stacks from Probuilder, so I was making the connection that they were. We're still looking into it though.

17. tbg10101_

tbg10101_

For me, I think it is related to Vectrosity. I'll bet that I won't see this issue when they update for 5.2.

18. ElvisAlistar

ElvisAlistar

Unity Technologies

I went through all the bug reports mentioned in this post and I can tell you more than half of them are already fixed and will be available in the next build or the build after that. The rest of them we have reproduced and are still in the process of being fixed.

The only two cases we still have to get a repro on are 713310 and 715005, which are from the same user on the same project, but potentially different issues. We're working on those and I will update this as soon as we have more to say.

Thanks to all that contributed to this post so far, and if there are any other crashes we might not be aware of, keep posting them. We want to ensure that Unity 5.2 is as stable as it can possibly get.

MrEsquire and ImpossibleRobert like this.
  19. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

These are really good news. If you manage to get 713310 resolved that would make me jump with joy you cannot imagine ;-)

20. ElvisAlistar

ElvisAlistar

Unity Technologies

@10FingerArmy I managed to reproduce 713310, which means it's most likely going to get fixed in one of the upcoming Unity 5.2 builds.

715005 is a UI related crash and we still have to get to the bottom of that. I will keep posting updates.

ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  21. terravires

terravires

While not a crash bug, I've run into a nasty bug on B4 with prefabs causing the editor to go nuts and flake out.

When creating a prefab by dragging from hierarchy to project, sometimes the editor will create a duplicate object in the root of your scene hierarchy. This "phantom" object does not say (Clone) nor can it be selected. When you click on the original object, it selects both the real and phantom object but you can't edit via the inspector.

When you try and click the phantom object it deselects that object instantly and randomly selected some other object in your hierarchy. Other things in the editor then become bugged and the only fix appears to be either deleting the original game object (if you can manage) or restarting the editor.

It also appears sometimes when you hit apply after making changes to a prefab. The preview image of the prefab is also wrong.

I have trouble with the search for some reason, so can anyone else let me know if this is a known bug or fixed in B5/etc?

Cheers

22. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

My bug report on duplicate hierarchy entries was closed as a duplicate (no pun intended :-D ) so I think that should be under way. Haven't tried b5 long enough to say if it's fixed yet but from the release notes I'd claim no.

23. ElvisAlistar

ElvisAlistar

Unity Technologies

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  24. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Seems that we are coming out of Beta stage from the build numbers, no beta 7?
    So what does this mean we have 3 weeks to final release date and already seems they wrapping up the final build.
    Can one the Unity guys please confirm status.

25. iivo_k

iivo_k

I haven't even bothered to try any of the betas yet, when there are known issues like these:
    • Editor: Crash if hidden game object is part of the scene and Play is chosen, or scene is closed.
    • Editor: Applying Prefab changes creates duplicate of prefab in hierarchy

MrEsquire likes this.
  26. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

5.2 Graphics Optimizations / Changes , 5.2 UI Features

are the most important 5.2 features for final release ... the others can wait

27. zezba9000

zezba9000

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  28. Jodon

Jodon

I have a 100% crash bug for anyone who uses my plug-in. It appears using OpenSceneAdditive after the play process has begun results in a crash (but I need this functionality for Advanced Additive Scenes). Bug number is 712517, was reported mid-July on 5.2.0b2.

I think the panic that the OP and myself are experiencing is because you rarely fix anything once you start going into RC stages. The changesets have typically shortened as we're seeing now. Help us understand: if the release candidates are not in a releasable state, what is your distinction for marking them as release candidates? Are you purely tied to timelines now?

29. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

30. Jodon

Jodon

Thanks! I hadn't seen that before, that certainly helps with planning! I still think it's premature to call this RC1 but if that's the new way of doing things, then at least I understand. EA-style! :) Cheers.

31. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Release or die. ;)

--Eric

32. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Bear in mind that the patch releases for 5.2 will be running on the same weekly basis as they have for previous versions; any bugs that aren't fixed in in the final release version of 5.2 may well be fixed in a patch release a week later. (We already have a number of non-shipstopper bug fixes queued up for 5.2.0p1).

33. Jodon

Jodon

If that's the case, what would really help is if our bug reports were updated with "scheduled for fix in xxx". That would address almost all of my concerns, which I'll go on and talk about anyway :).

I understand that when faced with a mountain of never-ending work, putting off non-essential crash bugs until patch releases seems like a logical step. But help understand my view point from an asset developer side, where this bug report represents all of your customers, and that your assets are expected to work with major releases.

While I certainly like the patch releases and think it's a step in the right direction, they are "buried" in a different part of the site, and don't install automatically. My editor "check for new releases" feature has been broken for a long time, but I don't recall it ever asking me to install a patched version, perhaps that has changed.

For long time users of Unity, there used to be a disclaimer on patch releases, paraphrased: "do not install unless you are told to do so." which appears to have been removed but has been cemented in my memory as a developer. The few times I have upgraded to a patch, it has broken functionality in my project and I needed to revert.

As it stands, we're going to get support requests, and then going to have to tell the customers "you cannot use 5.2 with our asset, you must wait for a patch which may or may not come." That's going to be frustrating for myself and the customers.

34. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Our dev process uses distributed branching that doesn't guarantee arrival times to the main branch when versions are cut. So "scheduled fix for xxx" is nigh impossible.

Regarding the rest of your concerns, we understand but we're also balancing with having a regular release for our entire audience. It's not that it's a non-essential crash bug necessarily, so much as some take time to analyze, time to fix, or the number of reports shift priority to other crash bugs first. There's a variety of reasons, but we're working towards improving things incrementally. Please bear with us in the meantime.

Jodon likes this.
  35. LaneFox

LaneFox

It's been stable for me. Have not had any crashes since I started using it a few weeks ago. Then again I haven't really been digging into features that much, just buried in code.

36. LaneFox

LaneFox

Oooookay after finishing a LD33 entry over the weekend I redact my statement above.

Latest version crashes when importing almost any asset. I think during validation. Can reboot and assets work fine.
    Some assets (100 mb fbx) wouldn't import and process, could not use that asset.
    On restarting (post-crash) the Scene view is corrupted and you cannot click objects. You have to make a new one.

Other stuff I can't remember. Regular crashes, typically related to importing assets.

37. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

I hope GUI performance is improved in the next version as well as physics

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    MrEsquire likes this.
  38. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

What about the Android mobile Shaders performance?? Mobile Shaders are on todo list but does not say when one can expect something..

39. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

BUMP -> Tomorrow the big release.... BUT What about the Android performance?

40. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

A bit late to get to the final, but at least for patch releases: any bug #s to offer?

41. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Some shader perf work landing in 5.3 that will benefit mobile. There's a bunch in-progress but determining landing points isn't as solid.

42. LaneFox

LaneFox

Sorry I did not submit any. LD33 rush then got lazy.. I can find specific packages that cause it and try to narrow it down in a report though.

43. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Ah, specific package related?
    If you can wait until p1 and try there, we should have a couple more fixes forthcoming that may address some of these issues. If they still exhibit, we welcome the bugs.

44. LaneFox

LaneFox

Well it started to seem like it did have some pattern (file size, package age, animations..). A couple of packages would always crash 100% of the time.

I'll wait until p1 and do some repro.

45. Arowx

Arowx

Is 5.2 still due out today and will I be better off to hold off until p1 or a later?