Search Unity

Best practice for a big project

Discussion in 'Web' started by kunst-stoff, Jul 20, 2017.

1. kunst-stoff

kunst-stoff

Hello,

I looks like WebGL forum is full of problems, so here comes something completely different. I am lead programmer in an indie dev studio and start a new project for the WebGL and iOS and Android platform. I am experienced with bigger projects on Unity on mobile, but new to WebGL. I read about the problems with the script performance and memory consumption and the resource handling.

The game will technically be like Farmville or SimCity. About 100+ different 3D objects (some with animations) can be placed on the ground in 3D and there is heavy simulation code, luckily executed round based. I estimate 20 menu screens with kind of a lot textures. At the end i think the final game will be roughly around 300MB on disk and in memory on the mobile platforms if we really take effort to keep this low.

How to organize the scene? Does it make sense to put each object into one asset bundle because not all of them are visible concurrently? Does it make sense to put each menu screen into one asset bundle? Does it make sense to unload the 3D objects when entering the menus and reverse? Is it feasible to put the whole game scene into one asset bundle to have a nice loading bar from main menu?

Please share your experiences. Are performance and resources so much more a pain than on the mobile devices?

Thanks,
    Chris