Search Unity

Best Editor Extensions & Utilities?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by frosted, Mar 16, 2017.

1. frosted

frosted

Inspired by seeing a couple extensions in a screenshot of @zombiegorilla's editor. I thought it would be cool to have a thread sharing editor extensions and tools (not fancy run time stuff - general tools and utilities).

My "cant live without" editor extensions:

Asset Usage Finder
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/59997

This simple tool is more or less just a right click menu item, but a really important one. Similar to the 'find usages' feature in modern IDE's, this will show you everything in a scene (or project) that references a monobehaviour, gameobject or whatever.

Key Features:
    • "Find Usage in Scene" menu item

This is the single most generally useful editor extension I've ever used.

Console Enhanced Pro
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11521

This is a console replacement, it has a bunch of bells and whistles.

Key Features:
    • Click on any line in stack trace to jump to code
    • Group and Filter console output
    • Option to prevent editor from loading changes while in play mode.
    Downside:
    • Source not included.
    • Have seen it throw exception at times when creating new windows or duplicating (annoying, not show stopper).
    EditorButtonAttribute
    I don't remember where I found this code (it isn't mine) but it is probably the single bit of editor extension that I've used the most (the paste here still has some of the author attributions - I can't paste my default MonoBehaviour editor, as it has gotten much more elaborate over time).

https://hastebin.com/nepiposamo.cs

The editor included in the lower half draws the button on scriptable objects, you will need a similar inspector to draw the buttons on vanilla monobehaviours. This guy has the original example I think:

http://pastebin.com/wLPPpjA2

Of all the tools and stuff I've ever used in Unity, this "quick and dirty button" has gotten more usage than anything else. Usage is simple:
    Code (csharp):
    2. public class Blah : MonoBehaviour{
    3.   [EditorButton]
    4.   public void DoThing(){ ... }
    5. }
    And you get a button that calls "DoThing" in editor.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  2. neginfinity

neginfinity

The only one I can recommend at the moment is SabreCSG (free), but even this one is not in "Can't live without" category.

passerbycmc and Dustin-Horne like this.
  3. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

If you're not opposed to spending a little money, ProBuilder and ProGrids in conjunction with SabreCSG is fantastic.

4. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

Enhanced Hierarchy, is really nice, but aside from that most editor tools i use are stuff i wrote and are often per project things.

5. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

i would iamagin with the combination of those 3 tools, you could get a editing experience pretty similar to working with BSP in older engines like source and ue2/3

6. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Very much so. SabreCSG is a boolean based tool. ProBuilder supports boolean ops (in beta) but it's made to be a mesh generation and editing tool. ProGrids just makes snapping and visualization super easy. :)

7. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

For me it is (asset store tools), pretty much just two:
    QHierarchy & DOTween . (though I would'nt call DOTween an editor tool specifically)

I have a ton of personal ones that I use in every project, like project editor managers, placement tools, extended functions, inspectors and tools. Data management, helper classes, color managment, camera controls, input controls, prototyping tools, pathing tools, UI features/cores and editor UI improvements. I think it now around 50 tools (including QHierarchy & DOTween) that I start every new project with. Whenever I write a tool to help with something, I try to make it as agnostic as possible so I can reuse.

8. zenGarden

zenGarden

Some should be in Unity already, the editor deserves more attention it is far from UE4 functionnality in some areas.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    ScoobyNooby likes this.
  9. SarfaraazAlladin

SarfaraazAlladin

10. TonyLi

TonyLi

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, uTomate.

The Dialogue System for Unity consists of 53 projects. Most of them are third party integration projects, but half a dozen are for deployment to various Unity versions from 4.6 to 5.5, as well as special evaluation and academic versions. A full build by hand would take forever to run QA tests, build third party support packages, build and zip Doxygen documentation, prepare packages for Asset Store submission, etc. -- and that's assuming I'd even remember to do every single step properly. With uTomate, I just click a button.

LaneFox likes this.
  11. giraffe1

giraffe1

Anyone know a basic camera asset to get the editor camera controls in play mode? Mainly for debugging. Not making a full blow RTS or anything.

12. SarfaraazAlladin

SarfaraazAlladin

Haven't seen anything like that.

Any reason why you wouldn't just use the scene view while the game is running?

13. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

I hope this is not going to turn into another promote your own asset thread.

14. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

hasn't so far that I'm aware of. there's some useful stuff here.

15. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

Thrawn's avatar is the logo of the company that creates the asset that he suggested. The asset is also in his signature.

16. elmar1028

elmar1028

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the Line Endings Fixer. Haven't parted with it ever since I found out about it.

Oh, and it's free :)

17. tsangwailam

tsangwailam

Don't know if it is off topic. I really like if Unity can install the plugin globally. I have some must have plugin and i need to install every time.

18. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Never head of QHierarchy before thanks for posting.

Something like a favorite assets list. So when you create a new Unity project click on add favorite assets and all of the ones you want included in every project gets included.

19. tsangwailam

tsangwailam

Seem good idea.

20. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Ahh didn't catch the logo and sigs don't show on mobile. :)

21. derkoi

derkoi

Can anyone suggest an asset that managers layer visibility in the editor? I'd like to make a few groups of layers that I can toggle between instead of manually enabling and disabling them individually each time.

22. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

I've bought or downloaded a lot of extensions/utilities that I haven't used. The only ones that are still in my projects are ProCore Bundle, DOTween, SteamVR and WiiBuddy. SteamVR is obviously pretty niche and WiiBuddy is very niche.

ProGroups (also part of ProCore Bundle) allows you to group and hide objects however you want: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/13809

23. giraffe1

giraffe1

mainly for debugging in game view. I found it. http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=MouseOrbitZoom

worked like a charm. modified the input to match the scene editor and its awesome!

24. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

25. wccrawford

wccrawford

Seems like really poor form to spam your own stuff in a thread asking for recommendations.

Martin_H likes this.