Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

BeGone Released! - Multi-player Shooter

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by ProtonOne, Sep 11, 2010.

1. tuckdragon

tuckdragon

wow ! didnt know u had been working on that kinda update. i just thought u where going too add like diffrent classes, like shotgun class etc.

anyways, hope everything will work out for u, so i will be able to enjoy this awsome game even more ;)

2. tuckdragon

tuckdragon

saw that you added the new weapons a shop system :D

but i do think you should drop your weapon when you die. since now you just buy the best weapon, then u get to keep it every round and then you dont have to care about money anymore. it would also be cool if you can kill someone and pick up there weapon ;)

primary and secondary weapon would be a good feature too, so when u shoot on someone with your primary and have to reaload, you just switch to ur secondary.

3. cemC

cemC

very good man :)

4. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Don't think there's anything to add to this thread, other than SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

I love this game! You rocked it. It rocks. If there's any justice, it will win the Kongregate competition!

5. adriaanza

adriaanza

I've seen people on the forum here a couple of times link to rackspace. Might be worth testing one of these out for a night as well now that you have more "real players" to play with :)

http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/cloud_hosting_products/servers/pricing/

Would be great to hear your feedback down the line about the various places you've tried out.

6. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Just uploaded version 1.2.1. I finally upgraded the game to Unity 3, and it looks great and performs even better!

Check it out:
    http://www.nplay.com/BeGone

$screen1.jpg

Changes
    - Upgraded to Unity3
    - Optimized and modified map
    - Added climbable ladders
    - Added Beast lightmapping
    - New effect when hit by bullet
    - Added dynamic sky
    - Improved lag compensation
    - Fixed infinite ammo bug
    - Added volume slider
    - Updated to higher quality particle effects
    - Chrome will now cache the webplayer

@AdriaanZA: Check out this thread on the ExitGamesforums: http://forum.exitgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=315

7. xXToastyXx

xXToastyXx

isn't it hosted on Kongregate any more?

8. tuckdragon

tuckdragon

gotta try it out, saw the youtube vid earlier and it looked awsome !

9. 3dDude

3dDude

I love the new version!

Just one little thing thats really annoying.
    With all the ladders there is SO much camping. The hole team will be setting on a roof waiting with snipers. :-/

10. Vinícius Sanctus

Vinícius Sanctus

I hope one day ill reach this point... I was there when BeGone went to the top ten games on Kong Unity Contest, unfortunatelly i was in 50++ =)

This game is awesome, the master servers are reliable and the game doesnt lag at all.

How did you managed that Proton? Are you using your own networking or unity´s embed one?

Did you made any ping calculations in order to achieve such a lagless gameplay?

Thx a lot n Hugs!

11. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

@xXToastyXx: It's still on kong. I'm only updating the version on nplay, decided to keep kong stable. Will eventually add Begone 2 to kong once all the problems the kong audience brought up are fixed (low framerate being the top problem).

@3dDude: Part of the fun is seeing how strategies change. I bet the strategy a week from now will be different. And by then the map will probably change again. Looking for ways to bring back grass without introducing lag.

@Vinícius Sanctus: I'm using Exit Games Photon library for networking. They have an example project in the asset store for free which I took a quick look at. It seems similar to how I am doing things. Unity built in networking is good for learning how to make network games, but I love the control Photon gives me over what is sent over the network and when.

12. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I can't say much that hasn't been said before, but this is outstanding. It's like the Call of Duty experience in a web browser!

13. 3dDude

3dDude

Hmmmm, thats cool this game is shaping up nice :)

I really like the different servers for kong and nplay. I am starting to see the people I usually see again. I don't know. I just find it fun to play with people you know :)

14. Vinícius Sanctus

Vinícius Sanctus

Thx Proton,

But last time i´ve tried to get sometime with 0 value from Asset Store, i´ve got a warning that the minimum value is 3$ so since i cant purchase anything due lack of paypal and international credit card, i wont be able to check it out.

But thx once i have one of those im totally trying. I´m REALLY into multiplayer games such as you seem to be!

Hugs n thx! =)

15. ivanzu

ivanzu

I like your game but i think you should add a bit more power to the guns and slow down a sprint a bit.

16. tuckdragon

tuckdragon

the games is really awsome and fun... but there are people glitiching themself into the swat building so u cant kill them but they can kill u -.-

17. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Well you are in luck, just fixed that annoying bug. It was hard to track down but was due to a combination of my lag compensation combined with the physics property "Min Penetration for Penalty".

All good now, plus grass has made a comeback!

18. bgivenb

bgivenb

I love the new update, and the graphics looked awesome on my PC, so I decided to give my mac mini a try. The colors were all messed up and although the frame rate was better than before, I had a hard time doing anything due to a constantly changing array of color patterns that filled my screen. Do you have any camera/Post-processing effects in use? If you gave the option to disable those, the frame rate would increase on machines (like my mini) and you wouldn't have any weird colors. Also: have you thought of trying a more urban map with less vegetation and no terrain? Sort of like a counter-strike map, but the framerate improvement caused by the lower poly map would help with the problems on kong.

edit: I think the color problem might be caused by the dynamic sky– if you had a toggle for this, maybe letting the player switch back to a normal skybox, it would be a solid fix.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  19. tuckdragon

tuckdragon

thanx for fixing it, it was a hugh gamekiller !

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Few ideas:
    do you got any plans on making some new character animations ? because i think the movement could look alot better then it does now.

maybe add some fall damage, since u can jump of the roof and the silo without loseing any health.

adding a secondary weapon would be sweet too, since i usally die from having to reload, but then i could just swap to my gun and shoot the bastard.

more weapons ! and also add so you can pick up peoples weapons once u kill them :-D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just some ideas, would really like too know what the next step will be for this game ;)

20. Vinícius Sanctus

Vinícius Sanctus

BgivenB I think youre right friend, dinamyc skuboxes can be a real pain in the ass for lower spec machines, and for good devs such as Proton, the larger ammount of players type you can offer a good gameplay, bigger is the spread of the game trought those users social networking, making Bgone an awesome game for those who are looking for fun from anywhere they have acess to a computer, even if its an oldie.

Hugs!

PS: Nice feedback bgivenb

21. pradeep

pradeep

When u get shot, there is that blurry screen that appears...i think i know what i'm talking about...that needs to be fixed. everything slows down...its annoying. thanks!!!

22. Mauri

Mauri

Nice game. Keep on working :D

23. danreid70

danreid70

WOW! Great interface, networking runs nicely, and great level design! VERY COOL!!!

24. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Version 1.3.2 Just Relased
    http://www.nplay.com/BeGone

Since the last update to this thread we now have 3 levels (with a 4th one on the way):

Warehouse
    $WarehouseLow.jpg
    Tower
    $TowerLow.jpg
    Crane
    $CraneLow.jpg
    Pipeline (Coming Soon)
    $PipelineLow.jpg

Also, the maximum number of players has been raised, we are even trying out some 24 player arenas.

Changed from forward to deferred rendering (nice looking dual-lightmaps now).

And there's lots more cool stuff on the way!

25. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Very fun! Keep up the good work!

26. pepur

pepur

Loading time is too long!
    Compare, I In this time download a Counter-Strike ;)

27. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

I was not to long for me, like 2 seconds (on the splash screen).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  28. kerters

kerters

Wow! , very nice! now i don't have to play CS 1.6 anymore ;)

29. pepur

pepur

-Unfortunatelly map design is very poor.

-Loading time is horrible

30. techmage

techmage

I gotta say, I played this game a long time ago on kongregate and thought it was pretty bad. But this latest version is WOW. Definanetly a flagship example to show the power of unity to everyone! With all the new unity features, the baked GI, all the post process effects nicely tuned. It looks awesome, the netcode feels solid and it runs very smooth with no framerate hiccups. I am also loving the feel of it, feels like just a slightly more modern counter strike feel. I personally do not like the feel of alot of new FPS games that have a super realistic feel to them.

Every other online FPS I've played with Unity had some minor framerate hiccups here and there, or just what seemed unnecessarily low framerate. I'd really like to hear any advice or anything you might of discovered which let you keep your game running so nice and smooth.

My only complaint, how do I get it go full screen!?

Also, you say you used photon for netcode. I'd really like to hear your opinion on the built in unity netcode. Did you move to photon just for more control? Or did you find the built in unity netcode completely unable of providing a quality comparable to photon?

Also curiosu to know, are you using the default luminance edge blur shader or something else? Because your result looks better than what I was getting with the default edge blur shader.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  31. techmage

techmage

I do agree with pepur though that the layout of the maps could be better, especially the tower map.

One of the big things to good level design in the counterstrike era was you had to time the amount of time it took each team to reach a certain point in the middle of the map, and that would be the choke point. You'd set up a nice open area at the choke point with alot of cover and alot of angles for people to shoot at each other. With this tower map the places you tend to first encounter the enemy don't seem to be very suiting.

32. FunZap

FunZap

Epic.

33. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

I'm still not happy with how fast it runs, I always want it more optimized. Keep terrain resolutions low, use static and dynamic batching, try to get occlusion working (if it doesn't blow up for you), don't use 'SendMessage', use strictly typed objects, limit the use of grass trees (sad because they look so damn good!), avoid using OnGUI as much as possible ingame (only use it for scoreboards or things where fps doesn't matter). Hmm.. well that's just a quick brain dump.

Fullscreen is a little icon in the top right corner.

I used unity netcode for InvinciCar. The number one problem that filled my inbox was players could not connect to eachother. The peer-to-peer connection relies on NAT punchthrough, but due to the wide variety of routers, I do not believe that this will ever work reliably. And casual gamers aren't going to be messing with their firewall settings. The only option was to have a central server that everyone connected to (this is what I did for the duel lobby in InvinciCar). It worked well, but to scale up I needed more control. We have seen 260 players on a single 2 core 1ghz 2MB ram virtual server with no apparent lag. Of course these 260 players are separated into rooms of about 16 people each.

Yeah it is the default one. Offset Scale 0.15 and Blur Radius 45.

Crane was more of a tech-demo map, didn't think about strategy too much when putting it together. The newer maps do have paths and choke points, but sometimes they don't work the way I though they would, but the good thing is it is pretty easy to update webplayers. Find out what people like and dislike, then make changes. For example I have some changes based on player feedback to warehouse (new sniper point platforms at spawn and 4 boxes on catwalk), and a change to tower (new path for militia onto containers). They are just lightmap baking right now. Will be able to release them tomorrow and see how that plays.

34. techmage

techmage

Why not release standalone PC and Mac builds? That gives a huge performance boost doesn't it?

The game does run very smooth on my system at 1600x1200 fullscreen, everything at max. I have a GTX 260...

I would like to see some more 'advanced graphics controls'. I would like to be able to turn down the edge blur shader and the glow a abit. Or turn the edge blur off completely with just a little glow.

I'd also like to see what your game is like using the FXAA shader instead of luminance edge blur.
    http://blog.slindev.com/shaders-for-unity/

Also is did you use the free license of photon?
    This '100 concurrent users', what does that mean exactly? Does that mean maximum of 100 users per server? So you can have unlimited servers with a max of 100 users each, or does it mean something else?

Also another thing I'm wondering, you know how you have it set up to see flying bullet tracers? Are those what actually hit the player, or are they just a visual effect? Are you doing immediate hit detection from just raytracing the bullets, or do the flying bullets actually register as hits? Because it looks like the bullet hole appears on the wall immediately before the flying bullet reaches the wall... which signifies to me that the flying bullets are just a visual effect and arent representative of what is actually hitting the player. Which if thats the case I think that makes it confusing. Just an immediatly drawn line, instead of a flying bullet, I think would be better.

Also in the level with the tall grass, the thing thats kind of funky about that is, tall grass is most usefull when hiding in it from far away. But with your current settings, the tall grass dissapears in a distance, so a player way off in the distance cannot hide in the tall grass. I think the tall grass needs to be visible across the entire arena, or it needs to not be there at all, or it needs to just be a cosmetic effect of really short grass that has no impact on gameplay. I know there is no unity setting to gradually fade out the grass texture density by distance. So maybe instead make the tall grass with the tree creator, and place the grass by using the place trees functionality of the terrain system rather than the paint details functionality. Then you could make it so that a single clump of tall grass made with the tree creator has like 10 plane of the grass texture in it. Then when the player gets far enough away it will turn that 10 grass planes into one single sprite. Then you could maybe get the tall grass viewable all the across the arena with less performance hit.

Also the brightness on the leaf textures in the trees needs to be turned up.

But anyways. Awesome stuff.

Do you have any intentions to attempt to monetize this game in anyway?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  35. pepur

pepur

Maybe bake AO in a vertex?

36. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

It means 100 concurrent users across all "rooms" of your game (each "server" being a room in this case).

37. 3dDude

3dDude

Its a honor to have 1-2 of what looks like my packs used in your game :D

38. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Just uploaded some changes to warehouse (new sniper points and a few new crates for cover), also smoothed out the recoil.

@3dDude: You saved my ass a few weeks ago. I was trying to get the explosions from the default Unity explosion pack to work with asset bundles and was having a horrible time getting it working. After a few hours of frustration I noticed your explosion pack in the asset store and within a few minutes... problem solved!

@eem: I don't think standalone would give a performance boost. Plus it is easier to update and monetize a webplayer version.

Tracers are just for effect you are correct, it's been bugging me too, lines would possibly be better, not sure how good they would look though.

Interesting idea of doing grass as trees, I don't think I have seen anyone do this. Not sure what the performance implications would be, but I like how it solves the sniper problem. The tree-grass also wouldn't conform to the terrain as tightly, so size of the patches would be important.

39. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Okay, I tried a quick experiment, the lines look really good. I think it will make it into the next release.

I disabled their fadeout for these screenshots, they only last 0.2 seconds ingame.

$Tracer-001.jpg
    $Tracer-002.jpg
    $Tracer-003.jpg

Edit: 2 More fun ones after playing a few rounds :p:
    $Tracer-004_lulz.jpg
    $Tracer-005_lulz.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  40. lordaddament

lordaddament

Awesome Game proton!!! This is the type of gameplay i would like to have in my own fps.... also the feel of the game reminded me of rainbow six vegas2 :)

41. techmage

techmage

new tracers look great, gives it a much better feel too I think

still would really like to see your game with the fxaa shader put in it instead of luminance edge blur

also can you put in an 'enable vsync' button?

and, are you sure standalone builds don't get better performance? In all my experience the standalone windows build seemed to run considerably faster than web builds.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  42. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

I played the game again, and loved what you added to the warehouse!

43. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

I love how you did the gun smoke! I'm trying to add it to my game and can't get it right, can you give any pointers?

44. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

I'm actually pretty sure it is just a tweaked version of the smoke in the default unity assets. (Standard Assets / Particles / Smoke).

The one thing I found that makes it look nicer is to make the particles more transparent, and have more of them. This can come at a cost of some fill-rate, but with it being such a small effect I don't think it's too big a deal.

Also simulate worldspace, and put emitters on the muzzle as well as the part where the spent shells get ejected.

45. Dave@IonGFX

Dave@IonGFX

I've been playing this game at nplay.com for several hours and I'm impressed with the coding. This is great fun!

46. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

I love the new character models! Although, I no longer like the 3rd person view, for some reason it feels weird!

47. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

3rd person does need a bit of attention. In 1.4.7 is the camera was moved from over the right shoulder to over the left one, seemed to fit the animation better, but perhaps this could be turned into a toggle.

My main resistance for adding toggles/preferences is it increases the testing time required. But so far players haven't minded the little bugs that sneak through because of this added complexity.

One of the cool technical things in 1.4.7 is the ability to look down and see your feet in first person. And to also cast your shadow. I don't see this in many games and only really did it at first to synchronize footstep sounds better. Making this work on a bunch of video cards and graphic settings was one of those testing pains I normally like to avoid, but I think it was worth it.

ks33XD likes this.
  48. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

I just thought of an awesome idea!!! Could you make one of the warehouse levels only melee (no guns)? That would be the coolest thing in the world! :D

49. NPlay

NPlay

List of major updates since last update on Unity forums:

- 2 New Maps: Courtyard and Timbertown
    - Scorebar
    - Ability to have profile with statistics
    - New game mode: Sabotage
    - New server browser
    - New weapon: MP7

- Over 50 smaller changes. For a complete list please check http://begone.wikia.com/wiki/Version_History

Game can be played at http://www.nplay.com

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  50. LaneFox

LaneFox

Dude, this is solid!! Can't believe I never saw this, really cool.