Search Unity

Beginnings are always difficult

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Akil6, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Akil6

Akil6

Me and my friend decided to at least try to make a half-decent game. Our goal is to create isometric rpg with pixel-type graphics and real-time skill based combat for PC. Pretty much something similiar to Eitr. Point is- we are complete beginners. No clue where to start. We would aprreciate any advices, tips or guides for starting such a project. And no worries, we are taking it realistic, we arent kids anymore and we know we wont make triple A game in a week. It might take months, years even, but we take it more as a nice way to spend time while expanding our knowledge. Thanks :)

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Well if you've never made any game in Unity, then you should begin this game by making something else. Go make a Flappy Bird clone. Then make a Doodle Jump clone. (This is almost the same thing.) Then make a game where you control a mouse, trying to collect cheese while being chased by a cat.

That last one you could do initially in a flat 2D view, but then change it to isometric. Now you're starting to get close to the game you had in mind.

Isometric graphics aren't quite as easy as they seem... there are several isometric/tile assets in the store for this, but I've tried them and don't much care for any of them. Watch out for assets; they can sometimes make things much more complicated than they should. Of course, other times they can be a real boon.

Be sure that at some point you work through the "Roguelike" tutorial. It will have a lot of stuff relevant to you, even though it is turn-based rather than real-time.

Finally, you'll need artwork. Start banging out sprites if you have the skill & interest; otherwise, head on over to OpenGameArt.org, where you can find a lot of great free resources to get you started.

Good luck, and have fun!

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Honestly looking back beginning game development wasn't so much difficult as it was tedious. You need to have at least enough knowledge to navigate, create, and place objects and components in the editor, you need a basic understanding of scripting, etc.

One of the better ways to get started is to just spend some time going through the Unity learning section. You don't need to go through every tutorial but at the very least I recommend going through the Roll-a-Ball tutorial (it covers the basics of the interface and scripting) and the Survival Shooter (because it's similar to the game you want to build).

Some of the other projects might be applicable to your needs as well (eg 2D for menus and heads-up displays). Videos under the Topics section are intended to be used as reference videos for viewing on an as-needed basis.

4. Schneider21

Schneider21

Welcome to the forums, @Akil6!

The best advice I can provide is to listen to Joe and Ryiah. It seems really boring to sit through tutorials when you want to just dive in and work on your game, but believe me when I say it'll only help you increase your chances for success. Diving into the deep stuff and tackling your grand game idea before you're ready often leads to frustration and anxiety, followed by giving up. If you start slow and small, you can see yourself making progress, your confidence and competency builds, and you'll move forward more consistently.

Game development is fun and rewarding, but also very challenging and frustrating. Use the fact that you have an interested friend as a partner to your advantage! Motivate each other and keep each other on track. Set realistic learning goals together, and work on small, small projects from start to finish together. Seeing something through to the end gives you a better idea of the full lifecycle of a development project and provides invaluable experience.

Good luck, and have fun!

Akil6 and Ryeath like this.
  5. Akil6

Akil6

Thanks for your input, starting from easier stuff is a good idea. I just finished my flappy bird clone and had a lot of fun while trying to understand how basics work.

Kiwasi and JoeStrout like this.