Search Unity

Beginner Unity 3D Tutorial

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by dustball23, Jan 18, 2017.

1. dustball23

dustball23

Should I make more of these?

YouTube: Beginner Unity 3D Tutorial

A no-nonsense introduction to Unity 3D. Part 1 covers:

- creating a project
    - creating objects, 3d cube, 3d plane, inspector, hierarchy
    - pan camera, move, zoom, scale, changing views, origin, transform
    - assets, gameobject, physics, box collider, rigidibody, mesh renderer
    - physics material, bounciness
    - duplicate objects, shortcut keys

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

I haven't given your video a proper watch, but if I may ask: what does your guide provide that the official tutorials don't?

This is purely my own opinion, founded on anecdotal evidence alone, but it doesn't seem to be that people have trouble learning Unity because they can't figure out the essentials. It's that they refuse to take the time to sit through the available learning material and want to jump into making a full game right away. And they don't want to make simple, learning-focused games... they want to make Minecraft, World of Warcraft, and Call of Duty.

A tutorial series that I think would be particularly successful is one that walks you through creating some form of popular you-are-in-way-over-your-head styled game, approaching every single thing as if the user has little to no experience or knowledge. Of course, it would take 10,000 videos to complete the series, and it'd be tedious as all hell to create, but there's a huge market of impatient aspiring developers out there that would be rabid fans, I believe.

3. dustball23

dustball23

Thank you for the well-written feedback. I generally agree with what you said.

I did gain 5 subscribers since posting it, so perhaps there is some market. Not trying to make any money, just have a passion.

I'm thinking of focusing on topics such as VR in the future.

4. Ryeath

Ryeath

Speaking as a complete beginner myself, one area that seems lacking in tutorials is scene management. I've been through 3 tutorials (Roll A Ball, 2D UFO and Space Shooter (the basic, not extended parts yet)) and the few I have my eye on doing next all only compromise one scene. I think it would be a great service to others if someone would make a good tutorial on how to manipulate between different scenes.

I do plan on giving your tutorial a good watching through in the next couple days as I find time.

5. dustball23

dustball23

6. XkoiulJrttn

XkoiulJrttn

helpful tutorial for beginners

7. game_buddy

game_buddy

well done;

8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I've found intermediate tutorials do better then beginner ones. The Unity learn section has everything a beginner needs. And there is a wide variety of channels already covering beginners. It's quite a saturated market to be in. Many of my basic tutorials don't do well.

On the other hand I'm getting good views on the things the learn section doesn't cover.

Schneider21 likes this.
  9. smacbride

smacbride

Unity has a good tutorial that goes over scene management, check out their Adventure tutorial.