Search Unity

Banner Saga grid?

Discussion in '2D' started by fillman86, May 18, 2017.

1. fillman86

fillman86

I'm really new to Unity, and I want a tutorial that will go into making a 2D grid that doesn't use tiles to make the map, but to have the ground as a picture like Banner Saga (doesn't have to be exactly the same though). Then isometric movement on the grid. (it doesn't have to be isometric if I can make it isometric myself later)

I've been looking for the entire day, but they all rely on you using tiles, or the tutorial is old and broken.

Please help me! (a video tutorial would help because I'm dyslexic)

2. fillman86

fillman86

I changed my search peraminters, and I can say that it's also like similar to the homm series, and the background like the scrolls game by mojang

3. fillman86

fillman86

Have I asked a stupid question?

4. PockeTiger

PockeTiger

I'm not sure about Banner Saga as I haven't played it but Heroes of Might and Magic and pretty much any other turn-based strategy games use a grid on their battle systems. The difference is usually only in the presentation. It can be tile- or hexbased and there are a bunch of extra features you can pack there to spice things up (destructive environment, environmental bonuses, varying heights... etc) I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of tutorials out there about turn-based strategies though and even if they are older it's not that hard to grasp the concept and do something similar with minor changes. I believe you can use Unity's own Rougelike tutorial series for a certain extenct as well as the movement is tile based.

PS.: I kind of realized after re-reading your post that you were curious about the underlying ground texture rather than the actual gameplay mechanic. Sorry about that. If you really plan to do unique handpainted landscapes then you can just seperate the ground texture and your grid system. The grid doesn't actually need to have a texture on itself but it can sit on top of a well crafted image you use as a ground.

Last edited: May 29, 2017