Search Unity

Balancing the weapon upgrade system suggestions

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Oshigawa, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Oshigawa

Oshigawa

Hi guys,

i'm making an endless mode for shmup at the moment (you can see it here https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/w...ds-roguelike-endless-horizontal-shmup.482489/) and i have a design question.

Endless mode is based the following way:

Level>Boss>Level>Boss>Level>Boss>Level>Boss>Level>Boss>Level>Boss, all in all 6 levels, and 6 bosses, then you go over again (think Steredenn). Levels are semi-random, and their length depends on the skill of the player, i.e. a better player will progress faster.

Now, based on an experience points variable (which also determines the boss phase trigger) during the level a transport is spawned which contains a weapon pickup. Player can carry two weapons and switch them, and each of the equipped weapons can have up to 5 levels. If you pick up an already equipped weapon, it will simply upgrade to the following level. If you pick up a non-equipped weapon, it will replace the one currently in use.

Now here comes the doubt. Experience points will undoubtedly trigger weapon transports few times per level in the later stages, but given the amount of weapons (over 30 for now), i'm not sure what approach to use:

Approach 1) Whenever you equip a weapon that is new (non-equipped) it is always at level 1. While challenging, with so many weapons present, there's only about 6% chance that the weapon spawned from the transport will match the one you have on board to upgrade it.

Approach 2) Whenever you equip a weapon that is new (non-equipped) it is always at level 1, but when you upgrade any of the weapons on ship to level 2, the weapon you replace the level 2 weapon will also be level 2. The chances of getting the same weapon out of a transport remain the same, but once you upgrade one of the weapons, you're guaranteed at least a level 2 weapon when you pick up a different one instead of that one.

Approach 3) Increase chances of spawning a weapon you already have. I can use one of the first two approaches, but with an increased chance of spawning some of the weapons i already have, for example 20% chance the transport will spawn first weapon we have, 20% chance the transport will spawn the second weapon we have, and 60% chance that it will be a completely different weapon.

Approach 4) Weapon powerups. Use approach 1 or 2, but instead of getting a bigger chance of getting the same weapon put 20% chance of getting a weapon upgrade out of a transport. It's similar to approach 3, but it gives the player the possibility to choose which weapon will be upgraded out of two on the ship.

What are your thoughts? Bear in mind that it's a relatively quick game with levels lasting around 30-60 seconds for the first one + boss, 60-120 seconds + boss for a second one, 120-180 seconds + boss for the third one, and 180-240 + boss for the fourth, fifth and sixth levels.

On one side, there's a possible frustration of player with always getting different level 1 weapons, and on the other side is the possibility of getting to highest level of weapon too fast. Though that is also a bit balanced with different types of enemy armors which are partly or completely resilient to some weapon types, so you always actually need two different weapon types on board.

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I'd say option 4 because mostly always - giving player choice is better than not giving them an option.
    However - there are examples of not allowing the player to choose - they get what they get - if they happen to run into the weapon token.

This reminds me of accidentally collecting the holy water just before the boss battle after getting a double/triple shot boomerang in Castlevania! :eek::mad:

Oshigawa likes this.
  3. Oshigawa

Oshigawa

Haha, i get you, because of that, the weapons will be picked up manually (and because that two players can interchange them), and the powerups will be picked up automatically. Thanks for the input, sounds reasonable. What would you prefer if using approach 4, using it with approach 1 or approach 2?

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Hmm - I can't say without playing. :)
    Option 2 sounds more fare. Option 1 seems like that might be frustrating to players.

Oshigawa likes this.
  5. Oshigawa

Oshigawa

You're probably right, i'll check it out through testing, sounds good :)

Thanks for the help and time, i appreciate it!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Two options come to mind
    • Make the weapons consumable. Have a weapon only last a short while. That way at each crate drop the player is pretty much ready to trade out for a new level one. And it makes the luck of getting a level 2 weapon really awesome.
    • Allow the player to choose not to take a new weapon. Thus they can keep any leveled weapons they have.

Oshigawa likes this.
  7. Oshigawa

Oshigawa

As for the second one, player IS allowed not to pick up the weapon. Furthermore, to prevent accidental picking up, it has to be picked up manually, by pressing key when over it. And if you made a mistake, you can get it back, since the old weapon gets ejected ^_^

As for the weapon being consumable, i thought about it, but there's already weapon heating system, having an ammo system too would be too much for a shmup.