Search Unity

Baked GI -- seams in modular walls

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by dana-schmale, Feb 13, 2016.

1. dana-schmale

dana-schmale

Using Unity Version 5.3.1p2

I've been investigating baking lightmaps for our current project. So far it has been more than a little frustrating. I'm hoping I am just missing some important information or tips and will be able to get better results.

The main issue I am trying to solve currently is that there are visible seams between modular wall pieces. This has been my best result to date, but still not shippable.

seam.jpg

Textures
    My textures all tile seamlessly and everything looks great when using the Precomputed Realtime GI

textures.jpg

UVs
    In the screenshot above I am using lightmap UVs I created myself in Maya. Not the greatest pack, but ample room to prevent any bleeding from other shells.

I have also tried creating them using Generate Lightmap UVs inside the model's properties -- still had seams

Also tried using Preserve UVs inside the instance's Object settings using my Maya uvs -- still had seams
    lightmap.jpg

Settings

Here are the settings I've baked with. I have tried numerous other settings -- increasing Baked Resolution, decreasing it, increasing Indirect Resolution, decreasing -- basically I've noodled any parameter I could.

setting.jpg

Hoping someone can shine some light on what I am doing wrong, or at least confirm they are also having the same issues.

2. idurvesh

idurvesh

Try witching of mipmaps on texture and generated lightmaps

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  3. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

The only solution I have found is to increase the scale of the mesh in the lightmap until the seams are no longer visible. I have spent countless hours with other settings with no luck when it comes to baked GI issues at the seams.

4. dana-schmale

dana-schmale

@idurvesh -- We have tried fooling around with the mipmapping. But I'll take another look and give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

@TTTTTa -- Yikes, glad to know I not the only one who's spent so much time trying for no seams. I'll try this out today. Thanks a lot!

5. m00k

m00k

hey dude - did you ever figure this out? am having the the same issues on my modular meshes and i cannot get rid no matter what settings i change.. :(

6. BuzzKirill

BuzzKirill

One way to "fix" this a little bit is to increase pack margin for automatic lightmapping (select model in the Project window - Lightmapping settings > Pack margin). Set to 8 or more, seems to fix the problem a lot of the time.