Search Unity

Badumna Network Suite - Unity version

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by peshwa_prince, Apr 15, 2010.

1. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

Badumna Network Suite version 1.3 (which includes a Unity package) is out now. Indie developers can download it for free...

2. Quietus2

Quietus2

3. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

Sorry dude. I figured you either type the URL or enter the word in Google search bar...it will get you to the same place. :)

4. liverolA

liverolA

nice work,
    however,after 2 hours work,i can't see the 2nd Lerp in my scene.
    how to set up a local SeedPeer,(i use LAN)? how to set the correct IP and the ports,had read all all the docs and still so confused...

5. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

Have you started a seed peer on a machine with a public IP address? This is a requirement for Badumna's discovery mechanism.

6. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Great to see more competition on the networking market, I really hope one comes up with a simple/straightforward implementation (like the Unity networking). I have quickly looked at all Badumna docs and will certainly give it a try later, it looks easier than Photon to me.

7. SpyridonZ

SpyridonZ

My only concern is, how do you manage security with the peer-to-peer style server you guys offer?

8. Matroblend

Matroblend

Looks Great, good Docs and Examples to get you started.

9. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

I seem to be downloading it for free. Is it free for those 200 users? Wow, thats brilliant.

10. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

SpyridonZ, please look at Dei server documentation and tutorials to learn more about Badumna's security features.

11. Matroblend

Matroblend

Is their a way to use your development pc as a Server?
    When I try to use port forwarding I get this error because my IP is Restricted, how can I solve this.

I get this error when I try to port forward
    Router model: D-Link Systems Wireless Draft 11n Router
    Public address: Restricted port|xx.xxx.xxx.x:xxxx
    Private address: Internal|xxx.xxx.x.xxx:xxxx

Matroblend

12. duke

duke

Theres no mention of pricing for the full-thing - does anyone know?

13. Dreamora

Dreamora

The only mention is "on request" so it will likely be priced on their needs, the potential success of your project and your budget as most "on request" software

But I agree, some basic licensing price scale should be offered in the light of the presence of BigWorld Indie, NetDog, Photon, Neutron and SFS Pro, at least for "indie user amounts" unless they offer quotes even with missing budget.

14. jcullen24

jcullen24

Just a bump and personal placeholder.

Jim Cullen

15. sebako

sebako

looks good so far, is there any way to test it with a single computer? I guess I will need a 2nd one :/
    but anyway ... thank you for this!

16. the_gnoblin

the_gnoblin

It is interesting that it is a peer2peer mmo-engine . :)

17. Matroblend

Matroblend

yea, and it could make a BIG difference for small indie developers.

18. sebako

sebako

I also started playing around with it, but cant see the second entity.

i've setup the NetworkInitialzation.cs file as follow:

Code (csharp):
    2.             badumnaConfigOptions.DiscoverySource = "127.0.0.1:3000";
    and changed the ports as mentioned in NetworkConfig.xml file

The port is open on my router and my firewall is off.

then I launched SeedPeer 2 Instances of the build on the same machine.

Is the only way to get it running with a dedicated machine running on the web somewhere?

Any hints are much appreciated.

19. GoldFire33

GoldFire33

So how does this compare to something like SmartFoxServer speed wise, etc?

20. sebako

sebako

the technology itself is pretty fast and well thinked, as the system uses the entitys networkcapability there is "no" limit for the amount of users, since every user takes himself and spent a little more for other objects (like doors etc.)

but can't get it running on a single machine trough now

21. GoldFire33

GoldFire33

Well yes scale-wise it should go much further with much less, but what about actual performance of the game. I am more concerned about how fast it makes a game feel compared to the other options.

22. Jerry20

Jerry20

Is the Arbitration Server required for server-side game logic and/or for an authoritative server?

Or can we use a separate unity client running as a headless server for all that?

23. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

Hi all, I am glad that most of you have found Badumna Network Suite useful. I will try to answer some of the questions from the users:

1. The game network performance (response time) usually improves as the packets are going 1-hop instead of 2-hops. In our tests, we found the average RTT to drop significantly.
    2. I see that many users want to test it on just 1 machine. This is possible if your machine has a public IP address. If you are on home/private network then you do need a seed peer with a public IP address. We will look at a build in the near future that can be targeted to all those who just want to test it on a local network (without the need for a seed peer). Stay tuned for that...
    3. You don't have to use Arbitration to do server side arbitration. You can use Unity headless mode for that as mentioned by one of the users (recommended for player v/s NPC arbitration). Arbitration server is useful if you want to provide player v/s player arbitration.

Happy gaming...

24. GoldFire33

GoldFire33

So if I was making a first person shooter for example and wanted to host the game on a server so that I could help prevent cheating, I would need to install the Arbitration server to my dedicated host?

Maybe I am understanding this wrong, but how does it still get the benefit of peer-to-peer at the same time as being able to prevent cheating. Wouldn't the 2 hops be required to prevent cheating?

Oh and one more question, am I right in assuming that this can't be used on a Linux server?

25. sebako

sebako

it works with mono, so far it should work for linux/unix systems. ;)

Iam right now on it, but i will wait until it is testable on a single machine before i take a deeper look into it.

26. GoldFire33

GoldFire33

How did you install it on linux? I only see it available for Windows OS X.

27. AgainstTime

AgainstTime

Ahh, I don't think in the far future it'll be stand a chance to raknet/smartfox.

but gj.

28. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Any reason?

29. sebako

sebako

just checkout mono

http://www.mono-project.com/Start

have fun ;)

30. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

GoldFire33, you are right about the first-person arbitration. If you arbitrate on a server then all that traffic would go through the arbitration server and you are not getting the benefits of a P2P architecture for that portion of network traffic.
    And to run it on Linux, you just need mono installed.
    [/quote]

31. Matroblend

Matroblend

Ok I have a Second PC running Wamp server and Badumna installed Using port forwarding.

My website works on the wamp server but when I start the SeedPeer and launch the demo1 on my other pc I get.

Router model: D-Link Systems Wireless Draft 11n Router
    Public address: Full cone|xx.xxx.xxx.x:39784
    Private address: Internal|xxx.xxx.x.xxx:39784,
    Active connections: 0
    Initializing connections: 1

Discovery method: Seed
    Last discovery time: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 21:04:19 GMT

32. Quietus2

Quietus2

Yes, but for the traffic that goes through your arbitration server you are not suffering the drawbacks of a peer->peer architecture. I think that was his question.

If all that you deem safe for the client to have authority over is player chat and movement updates you still have problems. Speed hacks, fly hacks and a legion of users impersonating GM's or other players.

The question I would have about it all, is what is the likelihood of an average user with DSL's upstream being saturated in real world situations with this setup? Is the overflow server truly an overflow server, or is that server the default as soon as the interest management throws him in a peer network with more than 20-30 other players?

The same question applies to latency as well.

33. Matroblend

Matroblend

Ok not sure what I did but got it working I think it was the setting in the Seed config

34. sebako

sebako

what you've used as public adress there?

35. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

Interest management is independent of the peer-to-peer network. You should watch the technical video that shows and explains how connections are formed and dropped automatically and also the working of the peer-to-peer network: http://www.badumna.com/badumna/video.html

36. Matroblend

Matroblend

To find your public IP just google "what is my IP Address"

Then you need to know what your private address is your router can show you that.

And you use your routers port forwarding to forward the public to the private address.

37. grfxman

grfxman

I just got it up and running on Windows 7 and I'm having a blast with it. :)

These links may help people get it running:

How to open the firewall on certain ports:

http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-7/open-a-port-in-windows-7s-firewall/

A quick way to get a server on your box:

http://www.wampserver.com/en/

Also I made desktop icons of all the apps and then right click the icons to get to properties. Then set "run as Admin" and hit apply.

Also I noticed if you run the first demo in unity, the console will actually give you some info on I.P and Port attempts. If your having problems finding a port it might help.

38. Matroblend

Matroblend

Well it seems as if I am not all the way there yet I can only connect via the BroadcastPort.

grfxman how are you using wamp?

Here is my setup working:

I have 3 pc's one is running the Badumnua Suite Control Center and I got it working but only using BroadcastPort the other 2 pc's are clients.

Here is my setup part not working with Badumna Control Center:

WAMP "wamp is working but by itself"
    DynDNS "Working but only with wamp"
    Custom Static IP setting

I have tried everything I can find to get a client from another IP to login but no luck in the settings dept.

39. grfxman

grfxman

Well to be honest I'm not that great with dealing with Windows 7 networking. I used this ( and the above links ) to figure it out:

http://www.scottmulligan.ca/?p=350

I hope it helps you :)

40. Wolf Dreamer

Wolf Dreamer

No price listed yet. I'll assume its because the developers haven't decided what they should charge.

You can't use it for any game where you'd not want the person to be able to easily cheat. So the only thing it is good for is a chat system. Is that it? Or is there a way to link people to one server which monitors things.

Does it allow everyone to upload their own artwork and others then get it that way? A way for artists to show off their wares perhaps.

41. Matroblend

Matroblend

Ok I have done everything I can think of and I can't get the client to connect to the PublicSeed from outside of the local network.

That would include watching and reading more that I care on setting a Static IP to Portforwarding and even using DynDNS.

Yes I can get BroadcastPort to work but that is for the local network as I understand it and all the local clients work fine.

42. grfxman

grfxman

I'm attempting to put in on a Linux server I rent. The first issue I encountered was updating Mono for Ubuntu.

Since I touch Linux every ten years or so if I need to or not, I found an auto update script :)

http://blog.ruski.co.za/post/2009/10/14/Mono-Compile-Install-Script.aspx

As far as your connection issues I would contact them directly. Sadly I am by no means a pro in the networking department

43. CaptainKiyaku

CaptainKiyaku

I'm currently playing around with it too and did everything on the Manual.

But i have some problems understanding the arbitration server.

I did everything said in the manual, and use the Control Panel to start services, etc.

When i start the NPC Demo, i added a print when the DoDeiLogin was successful. So it indeed only prints out successful when i start the Dei Server over the control panel.

However, i actually thought when the server isn't started, players won't be able to connect to "each others". Like they have to connect to the main server in order to play together.

But wether the arbitration + dei server are running or not, they can connect to each others.

Do i miss something?

Thanks in advance :)

44. grfxman

grfxman

I'm not sure on that issue. I just got it running on my Linux server, But now any remoter players have vanished :(

I have no idea why. Had it working all day on my laptop/Wamp set up.

Well at least its working on the server.

Wonder what would cause failed remote player creation?

45. Matroblend

Matroblend

Are you talking about on your local network if so you are talking about the BroadcastPort. You can turn it off by setting it to Zero in the script.

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

is their site down? just now dowloading mac and win version.

47. CaptainKiyaku

CaptainKiyaku

Thanks that did the job.

But now i just see that my arbitration doesn't work yet. Players can't connect to the server and see each others, hmm.
    Does "this.arbitration.Connect();" return anything so i know if its even connecting to the server correctly?

When i use the ControlPanel, i also have to start the UnityArbitrator manually right? Or does it start with the controlpanel somehow.

And is it supposed to display more than:

Code (csharp):
    2. Success load the dei configuration from deiConfig
    3. Successfuly load database configuration from DbConfig
    4. Connection String : Server=localhost;Database=badumna;User ID=root;Password=xxxxxx;Pooling=false;
    I think i'm missing something.

EDIT: Just as note, i run everything on the same machine. It has an public IP though.

48. grfxman

grfxman

Not sure..

I'm starting to wonder if the remotes have been showing because the network defaults to local if all else fails.

Might explain why I lost remote players as soon as I put it on an actual server. Also wondering if this line in the network initialize file for SeedPeer might be the culprit:
    Code (csharp):
    2. <Broadcast Enabled="true">27360</Broadcast>

49. grfxman

grfxman

I started SeedPeer.exe on Linux twice before I started to add the Germ app for the Control Center.

Started with:

Code (csharp):
    1. mono SeedPeer.exe
    But I'm not sure how to kill all running instances from the command line.

Also if you overwrite the NetworkConfig.xml file with a new one do you Need to manually stop and start SeedPeer?

50. tak3r

tak3r

When you said they still can connect to each other without the dei server, did you run the NPC Demo or other Demo, e.g. Demo 1 ??