Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics Azure[Sky] - Dynamic Skybox

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by DenisLemos, May 1, 2015.

1. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

That's weird! It is the first time that some kind of problem with fog has been reported. In fact the fog should brighten your scene and not darken. Have you tried using only the fog effect on the camera to find out if there is any incompatibility with another image effect?

Maybe it also could be an incompatibility with your system or target platform, but this hypothesis is not very valid, because you said the skybox is working, and the codes of skybox shader are practically the same as the fog.

The only way for me to be able to correct a possible error is if I can reproduce the problem here.

2. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

The time is over!

The promotion is over and I already have send the price change to the Asset Store and is currently under pending review. This is the last chance to enjoys the promotion, because it takes a while for the Asset Store to review the order, it will all depend on where the order is in the queue. It may take a day or more!​

ftejada likes this.
  3. Mark_T

Mark_T

Looks really nice and easy to use.
    Would it be possible at a later stage to adapt/develop your sky system for other planets with more than one sun or moons?

4. castor76

castor76

Hi. This may be an odd question, but will this work in 2d mode? (orthographic camera)

I can understand the default control may be for 3d , but if I am able to control the position of sun and moon I can try and manually update their value to produce something decent in 2d. So that say.. the sun rises from right side of the screen and sets down on the left etc..

Having briefly looked at the solution it seems like it is using cubemap so my worry is that in orthographic camera, the sun and moon will look stretched around the edges.

5. GXMark

GXMark

I just purchased azure sky few weeks ago and i'm having difficulty changing the sky color. It has a beautitful pinkish tint to it at present but I want to control this to a more blue color. As the reflections on the water are too pink.

How to change the sky color?

6. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Multiple moons and planets may be possible to add in the future, especially if I can create real volumetric clouds that it is possible to fly through. But multiple suns are practically impractical for performance and many other technical problems.

As you can see in the screenshot below, Azure can even work in 2D mode, but the moon and the solar disk are distorted horizontally which would make the game somewhat strange. But that's a good idea to feature for the future, creating a simpler and faster 2D version that might work on mobile devices. That filled me with ideas!
    2DSky.jpg

You can change the Wavelength values in the Scattering tab. This can be a bit annoying to do because each channel is on a different curve. I'll try to add a color field to make this task easier in the next version.

Or you simply change the color of the "Sunset Color" property in the "Sky Settings" tab. I added this property to be possible to change the color of the sunset, but it also works for the rest of the day, although it affects almost exclusively the horizon range. If you leave the color white, the sky will remain in the original color, but you can change to any color you prefer.
    SkyColor1.jpg
    SkyColor2.jpg

7. castor76

castor76

Creating Awesome 2D version of day and night system is actually a missing gap in the saturated day and night market at the moment, there is not one single asset in the store does this really well.

DenisLemos likes this.
  8. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

(WIP)
    First test of Volumetric Clouds in Azure.

This is my first attempt with volumetric clouds recorded in real time in the Unity Editor, the shader is not complete, it is only the first test but the results until they are good.
    It is not possible to fly through the clouds because clouds are being drawn together in the skybox.
    There are still some things to add and correct.

- Denis Lemos

9. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Looks very nice!

1) I think the trick of volumetric lights are the real variable structure of couds. Perhaps its possible to render parts of different cloud structures as input for the perlin noise. So you din't get verytime the puffy variation.

For example unsing a ring mask that creates clouds at the near horizon around only.
    Then the zenit stays free.

2) I'm not sure how the perlin noise creates the height of the couds. But it would be cool downwards the height near the horizon and produce clouds having larger diameter.

Shadertoy.com has some cool examples also.

DenisLemos and ftejada like this.
  10. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Another questions about Azure. Is it possible to reduce the sun halo to get a more shaped sun itself, like this?

sky.jpg

11. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Yes, it is possible! Azure has several parameter options, including those of physical aspects that change the results of the equations and consequently also the atmospheric properties.

Below are some screenshots with different values of Mie, Rayleigh, G(Directionality
    Factor), Sun Intensity, etc...
    Sun1.JPG Sun2.JPG Sun3.JPG Sun4.JPG Sun5.JPG

Quatum1000 likes this.
  12. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

Hi, does Azure cast cloud shadows? Also, what improvements will version 4.0 bring other than volumetric clouds?

13. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Hi!
    No, the clouds of Azure don't cast shadows.

I'm working so that version 4.0.0 comes with the following new features:

* Real positioning of the sun and moon based on time, date and location. (done)
    * Climate control. (under development)
    * Improved Preetham sky model. (done)
    * Improved Preetham fog. (done)
    * New Proland sky model and fog. (almost ready)
    * New Inspector intarface. (under development)
    * New cloud system. (under development and study)
    * Volumetric fog. (under study)

- Denis Lemos

Deckard_89 and Shodan0101 like this.
  14. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Perhaps it should be possible to create 512x512 b/w mask of the clouds and set this rendertexture as real-time cookie for the directional light.

DenisLemos likes this.
  15. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

Ok, thanks for the suggestion.

16. JonasPersson

JonasPersson

Hi!
    Im using the asset and its looking Good:)

I have two requests in future updates:

1. Single pass stereo rendering support for all the effects. (since im working with a vr game this i would be super nice for perfomance)

2. Im not updating the sky reflection probe every frame due to performance, this obviously causes a quite a pop when the sky changes a lot in a short time. Would it be possible to implement a blending between the captured Reflection images..

Thanks for a great asset!

17. jdraper3

jdraper3

What I'd really like to see is a "baking" system that would pre-render the skybox and clouds at super high quality, cache the gradients/light values, etc, and bake the reflection probe at a higher quality. If you could store multiple baked snapshots and then blend between them at runtime, that would be even better.

I personally only use the "dynamic" aspect of the sky to setup a particular scene how I want it, so nothing changes in real time during gameplay.

Hmm, I might make something to do this now that I think about it :)

ftejada likes this.
  18. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Hi!
    I'm still using Unity 5.3.4 because I'm working on updating Azure for version 4 and also on new packages, so I need to keep the minimum version possible. And this seems to be a feature of a newer version of Unity.

As soon as I release the new version of Azure, I'll do an upgrade to improve compatibility with the appropriate version with this feature.

I do not know if this would be much faster than updating the reflections in real time as Unity already does. Because I would have to create a custom shader that would blend these two textures and then save the resulting texture using "Graphics.Blit" to then apply that new texture to the scene. And this would have to be done in each frame (creating and destroying the resulting texture would also consume quite a lot of performance).

Hi!
    Maybe this is not what you want, but you can use an Asset Store plugin to capture the panoramic scene and then turn into skybox to using with the standard Unity skybox shader. Or even some custom shader that blends two skyboxes based on a slider. I've seen several Skybox shaders of this type available for free.

This package is free and captures the scene in a panoramic image:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/38755

This package is also free and transforms a panoramic image into cubemap to be used as Skybox:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/13616

A skybox shader that blends between two sets of skybox textures. Think day and night cycle:
    http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=SkyboxBlended

- Denis Lemos

jdraper3 likes this.
  19. JonasPersson

JonasPersson

Nice!
    Looking forward to the new version!

I have a graphical bug, maybe you know about this already:

When i use the standard shader with cutout in the scene my sky starts to get this wierd effect.It happends for a short while and then it goes away.

I have done a lot of testing on this bug and i am very sure its the cutout shader. Although im not sure it has to be visible in the frame when the bug happends.

Its a vr project.

Looks a lot like the effect in this old Micheal Jackson video:)

Attached Files:

20. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

The darkening of the fog is probably because color space by default is not set to "default" but set to an S gamma conversion (eg. Linear to gamma).

Try to change the Space Color to "Default".

Depending on how the plugin is made, Linear to gamma, is wrong if you plan to stack additional effects on the camera.

21. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

So.. I have to retract my previous post as I found this in the manual
    "The prefab is set to linear color space. If you are in gamma color mode you must change the "Color Space" property in the "Options" tab to Default."

And.. it makes no sense at all. Are you @_7stars converting down to sRGB before the user has a chance to do so? Or are you multiplying a clamped fog? I can't make sense of it.
    There is something really messed up about the fog and/or gamma setting with Azure.

The screenshots above are with linear fog enabled, global fog (all white) and dense fog (intensity = 0)
    So it should, effectively only be simple fog affecting the image.

However!
    If I change the color space from linear to gamma to default, the output now displays the correct gamma (but.. you'll run into problems later on with scattering).
    And this indicates that you do a conversion from linear to sRGB in the fog script, but only on the sky related stuff.

edit: What I'm asking is, what is the proper way to keep linear workflow with Azure?

ftejada and Shodan0101 like this.
  22. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Seems to be any z buffer clearance issue.

DenisLemos likes this.
  23. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

As the Quatum1000 mentioned, this seems to be a problem with buffer cleaning. It looks like your z-buffer is not being cleaned, the reason I do not know. This effect you mentioned is what happens when you set the Camera Clear Flags to Don't Clear.

Azure was developed using the Gamma color space as standard. The result using the original parameters of the physical equations is shown in the screenshot below.
    SpaceColor1.jpg
    When the Azure color space is set to "default" no color conversion is done, it only shows the original Azure result. So if you are using the Gamma color space you must leave this option in Azure as "default".

When you change the color space to linear, Unity applies the gamma correction to 2.2 making the sky whiter than it should be. Similar to what is shown in the screenshot below.
    SpaceColor2.jpg

This leaves the sky looking unpleasant, so is need to keep the color of the sky the same as it was originally in Gamma color space. So when the "Linear to Gamma" option is defined, internally in the shader is made the inversion to Gamma potentiating the output color by 2.2. By doing this conversion, the sky stays with the original color it should be even in linear color space, as shown in the screenshot below.
    SpaceColor3.jpg

Basically, when using Gamma color space, leave the Azure space color as "default". (This will not do any color conversion)
    If you are using linear color space, leave the Azure space color as "Linear to Gamma" to convert the sky to the original color that was generated by the physical equations.

This conversion only affects Azure's Skybox and Azure's Fog Scattering. The rest of the scene and image effects are not affected because the conversion is done internally in the shaders.

Shodan0101 likes this.
  24. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

Forgive me if I'm sounding a little hostile about this, I promise it is in all good intentions.

This is not correct.
    The only correct way, in linear, is to have a gamma correction at 2.2 as the very last script in your post effect chain on your camera. And you should tweak the sky (and the rest of the scene) with that gamma correction turned on.

Applying the "Linear to Gamma", as you advocate for, will convert your scene partially to sRGB, which will get you get a darker scene depending on how much the scattering and fog influence. And you end up with a semi corrected scene.

In summary,
    It looks great the way it's set at default, but will get you, as a user, a lot of problems, so you will need to spend a lot of time tweaking the sky parameters to get correct values.
    (unless off course you are working in Gamma, but by doing that you are disregarding the idea of color correction in the first place).

ftejada and DenisLemos like this.
  25. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

(WIP)
    I'm also developing a "Lite" version of Azure with simpler features focusing on performance on less robust platforms.. The skybox with day and night cycle is now ready, just missing the stars, clouds and some lighting and ambient controls.​

I did the test on an android device and ran at 60 frames per second in a...
    • Model: Motorola Moto G2
    • Chipset: Qualcomm MSM8226 Snapdragon 400
    • Processor: 1.2 GHz Quad Core
    • GPU: Adreno 305
    • RAM: 1 GB
    • Resolution: 720 x 1280 pixel
    I consider this an excellent performance and I will apply the same techniques used in this version also in the main version of Azure, so the main version of Azure will greatly increase performance.

(Some screens from Azure[Sky] Lite under development)
    AzureSkyLite 2.jpg
    AzureSkyLite 3.jpg
    AzureSkyLite 4.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Crossway and tachyon-particle like this.
  26. tachyon-particle

tachyon-particle

Hi,

Is there any way to hide the sun when there are heavy clouds?

There is a curve "Extinction" for the moon, but I don't see one for the sun. Or am I overlooking something?

Please see below how the sun appears through the heavy clouds.

HDR Sky is enabled.

Thanks

upload_2017-2-21_0-52-0.png

27. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Hi!

There's a small mistake I had not noticed when using HDR and Tonemapping. It's simple to fix, you just need to open the script "AzureSky_ControllerEditor.cs" inside the Editor folder and edit the following line of code...
    SunIntensity1.jpg
    to this...
    SunIntensity2.jpg
    In this way the intensity of the sun disk can be set to zero so the solar disk does not appear.

Now you can set the "Intensity" of the solar disk to zero in the "Sky Settings" tab as shown in the image below.
    SunIntensity3.jpg

ftejada and tachyon-particle like this.
  28. tachyon-particle

tachyon-particle

Awesome! That works.

Thank you!

29. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @_7starts !

I would like to know how much to leave the new version of Azure.

Also comment that I am having serious problems getting a correct daylight.
    I have spent days and days trying to get that illumination, but I have not got it. The days usually remain with little intensity in the environment. I do not know how to explain it, but it is as if the days did not reach the clarity that they should have without saturating the textures of the scene with the intensity of the light.

Unfortunately I tried with another asset of the store and quickly managed to get the results I was looking for.
    I have read the forum and I have seen what I commented @Kemonono. Could it be for this reason?

I work in linear and deferred and I have tried in several versions of Unity 5, but for as much as I have tried I have not been able to obtain adequate lighting to what I look for. I do not know if I do something wrong ... but with the days I've been trying, I doubt it's because of me

I leave some photos made with Azure and others with the other asset. I've even tried, put the exact values I had in the other asset to Azure. But I can not get good daylight. The first photo and the third one are with Azure. The second and fourth with the other asset:

AzureForo.jpg uSkyForo.jpg AzureForo2.jpg uSkyForo1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  30. ftejada

ftejada

Two other captures that I was not allowed to put in the previous message, The first photo is with Azure, the second with the other asset:
    AzureForo3.jpg uSkyForo2.jpg

31. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Adjusting lighting with Azure is the same process you would do using the Unity's standard mode. Azure just adds you the ability to customize different values at different times of day using curves, something that is not possible in Unity's standard mode.

Azure takes the value you set in the curves and sends it to the directional lights of the sun and moon and also to some properties of the "Lighting" window. Nothing special happens in this process and no illumination treatment is done by Azure to justify this dark effect shown in your images.

In the image from your last post, it appears that only the shadows are too dark. To make the shadows lighter, you only need to increase the "Ambient Intensity" and perhaps increase the intensity of the sun's directional light.

I did a quick test here on a prototyping scene using Unity 5.3.4 and found no problem with the lighting setup.

Here two screenshots of dawn at 8am:
    Ambient Intensity: Low (to get dark shadows)
    Sun directional light "Intensity": High
    Sun directional light "Color": Yellow to Orange

Light3.jpg
    Light1.jpg
    Here a screenshot at noon:
    Ambient Intensity: Low to Middle (to keep dark shadows)
    Sun directional light "Color": White closer to Yellow

Light2.jpg

Here the same screenshot of noon:
    Ambient Intensity: High (for clear shadows)
    Sun directional light "Color": White

Light4.jpg

As you can see, just by changing these 3 properties you can get different types of lighting, from lighter scenes to darker scenes.
    Assets:
    Tropical Forest Pack;
    Raptor;

To pos processing I used:
    Scion;
    Unity's standard effects: Color correction;

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Crossway and ftejada like this.
  32. ftejada

ftejada

Thank you for reply, I'll keep testing...

I would like to know how much to leave the new version of Azure

Saludos

33. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Hello guys!

I'm sorry for not giving more news, I've been unable to work intensively at Unity for the past few days.
    But now I'm back!

I was just now playing with Unity 5.5.1 and I found the lighting more beautiful than the version I was using earlier (Unity 5.3.4). I noticed a lot of things have changed, especially in the "Lighting" window and I'm going to need to change some things in the Azure Inspector, but it's still possible to set up the lighting without problems.

I really like to test Azure with the Tropical Forest Pack, and I recommend this package to anyone who is interested because it is the best vegetation package I bought at the Asset Store.

Below are some of the screenshots of Azure[Sky]3.0.4 + Unity 5.5.1f1
    Notice that I used only the standard Unity image effects.
    Azure1.jpg
    Azure2.jpg Azure3.jpg Azure4.jpg Azure5.jpg

In the next post I will talk about how is the development of the new version of Azure.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  34. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

About the development of the new version of Azure.

Well, I get lots of e-mails from potential customers asking me if Azure works on mobile devices, and I always honestly say that the current version of Azure in the Asset Store was not made for mobile devices. Also some customers ask me if it is possible to improve performance because they develop for less powerful platforms.

For these reasons I've decided to start developing a lighter version of Azure that runs with better performance on weaker platforms and maybe even on mobile devices. And this task is being very stressful and difficult, since only one line of code in the shader can bring down performance abruptly in mobile devices.

I've spent all of last week just trying to add the moon and its shine in the sky, so that it would be cheaper for performance.

I have ready all the system of day and night with the moon, stars and Milky Way. And the performance so far is very good in my Androids devices that I have for tests.
    Azure[Sky] Lite.jpg
    Azure[Sky] Lite2.jpg Azure[Sky] Lite3.jpg
    It is running at 60 frames per second on the device:
    • As this device has very modest settings, I chose it as the development target.
    • Model: Motorola Moto G2
    • Chipset: Qualcomm MSM8226 Snapdragon 400
    • Processor: 1.2 GHz Quad Core
    • GPU: Adreno 305
    • RAM: 1 GB
    • Resolution: 720 x 1280 pixel = 921.600 pixels
    Now I just need to add the clouds and some ambient and lighting controls in the Inspector.

The shader is compatible with SM 2.0, but I'm also going to make a version of pixel shaders for those who do not need to develop for mobile devices, although in this case the shader has to be compiled in Shader Model 3.0 that requires more processing, but leaves the sky effect more beautiful and without possible artifacts.

Since the fog scattering is an image effect and calculations must be done per pixel, the fog shader will also need to be compiled in SM 3.0 because it will be used more than 64 math instructions. Then there's no way, the fog will cost dearly for performance.

If anyone has any tips for improving the performance of shaders on mobile devices, please feel free to comment!

As I have really enjoyed the performance of Azure[Sky] Lite so far, it's only fair that I first finish that version and use it as the base for version 4 of Azure[Sky] Dynamic Skybox. That way I want to keep version 4 of Azure with the best performance possible and with the greatest amount of features possible.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  35. Troy13

Troy13

I am excited about the new features you have planned for version 4. When do you expect to release it?

36. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Hi!
    I can not establish a release date because it is impossible to predict the issues that may appear during development. Before launching the 4x version I first intend to release the Lite version of Azure, so I will use the Lite version as a base to add all the advanced features that will be present only in the Azure 4x. Azure 4x will be a free upgrade for anyone who already owns Azure 3x.

[Development of 4x]
    Another way I found of gaining more performance for version 4x is by using a "Raymarch Sphere" to do the moon.

Currently in version 3x is used a 3d sphere in the scene with a shader that calculates the illumination of the moon based on direction of the sunlight to create the moon phases correctly, so to draw the moon in the skybox it is necessary to have a camera always pointing towards the moon generating a RenderTexture that Is sent to the skybox shader to be drawn in the sky. This method requires a lot of processing, because it is necessary to render the moon sphere mesh, calculate the moon shader, create the RenderTexture, and then draw that RenderTexture in the Skybox.
    MoonSphereAzure3x.JPG

The new method I'm studying is to use a "Raymarch Sphere" within the Skybox's shader, so with a few lines of code it's possible to simulate the moon's sphere with realistic lighting without losing any performance.

To make the illuminated sphere shown in the screenshot below, I used only 5 lines of code in the shader. It is missing only to add the texture of the moon on the sphere, that should be easy to do. No 3D model or mesh was used in the screenshot below, the sphere was made only with the 5 lines of code in the shader.
    MoonSphere.jpg

[EDITED]
    Now the moon sphere is with texture!
    New Azure Moon.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  37. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

That's great, looking forward to the new 4x version. Keep up the great work!

Marko

DenisLemos likes this.
  38. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

(WIP)
    Azure[Sky] Lite

The fog scattering is an image effect, and for this reason almost all calculations must be made in the pixel shader which makes the fog unfriendly with mobile devices(requires a lot of processing). But for those who do not develop for mobile devices, the fog scattering will be there to use!

Below are some screenshots of the first Azure[Sky] Lite test. The lighting of Unity 5.5.1 is incredible and it did not take 10 minutes to set the lighting using Azure[Sky] Lite.

I can state with complete certainty that Azure[Sky] Lite is much better than the current version of Azure[Sky] 3x. So I can say that Azure 4x is going to be awesome!
    AzureLite3.jpg
    AzureLite1.jpg AzureLite4.jpg AzureLite2.jpg AzureLite5.jpg

Still need to do:
    • Some adjustments in fog scattering.
    • Cloud shader.
    • Options tab.

ftejada and tachyon-particle like this.
  39. CGPepper

CGPepper

I am looking to add a day/night cycle to my VR game. Volumetric clouds would also be great.
    How much of a performance hit would i take by using AzureSky 3.0?

40. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Hi!

I do not have a VR device for testing, so I do not know how the performance will be. Many customers have told me that it runs smoothly on VR, but a few have also reported some performance loss.

I recommend Azure[Sky] 3x for PC-Games and never for mobile devices, now about VR I do not know the processing capability of these devices to review.

Maybe if you have time you can wait until the release of Azure[Sky] Lite, this version is being polished to the maximum to guarantee the best performance. Azure Lite is running at 60 frames per second on a Motorola Moto G2, only the fog-scattering effect is killing performance on mobile devices, but I believe that in the rest of the platforms will not be a problem.

PS: If you want good performance in your game, volumetric clouds are not recommended!

41. CGPepper

CGPepper

Will the lite version be a separate asset?
    Also, are we talking about weeks, month or years for the release?

42. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Yes, Azure Lite will be a separate package with a lower price! ($25 - $35)
    If all goes well, I'll send it to the Asset Store next month!

Azure 4x will be a free upgrade for Azure 3x users, but this upgrade will take longer because the features will be more advanced and time-consuming to do. And the price will be about $65!

43. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

(WIP)

Now in Azure Lite and Azure4x will not have pre-set color space correction, as this is a bit confusing in version 3x I added a slider in the "Options" tab to control the Gamma. Thus the user will be able to control the conversion of "Linear to Gamma" and vice verse. If the user does not want any color space conversion, just leave the slider value at 1 which even without gamma correction Azure Lite is working well in the "Gamma and Linear" color space.

Gamma.jpg

44. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

I was testing my scene with Advanced Foliage Shaders v.5 and this asset is amazing! I recommend to anyone who wants to make the vegetation much more realistic!

If you compare to my previous posts where I was using the built in vegetation shader, you will see the difference.
    AFS Shader.jpg
    AFS Shader3.jpg AFS Shader2.jpg AFS Shader4.jpg

dashasalo, jmjd and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  45. Wurlox

Wurlox

These Screenshots look amazing. Nice work there. Is it possible that you upload a short video showcasing the scenes in your screenshots? I am very interested in the atmosphere Azure Sky is bringing to your scenes. I'm following the development and I think of buying your asset, however I am waiting for some video footage or demo that showcases Azure Sky at runtime. Looking forward to that and please keep up the amazing work.

46. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Hi!

The Lite version is almost ready, I still need to do a simple static cloud shader(mobile-friendly) and a dynamic 2D cloud shader similar to Azure's 3x clouds.

I have already started the process of creating the playable showcase scenes and I have already planned to do some videos, but this is going to take a lot of time, as it is also necessary to do the documentation.

47. Wurlox

Wurlox

@_7stars That's great to hear. Looking forward to the demo scene then. :)

48. ippdev

ippdev

I immediately trashed every other sky system and used this. This is the real deal. When is 4.x slated for release? Not that i am complaining but if this looks better than currently I will be blown clean outta my cowboy boots.

49. ippdev

ippdev

I am on 5.6.0f3. Sky is gorgeous. Sun at horizon shows glow but there is no sun disk. I have tried the editor setting under Sky Settings and pulling up and down any of the curves for the Sun Disk seems to have no effect at all. Something I am doing or that 5.6.0fx treats things differently?

50. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Hi!

First of all, thank you for using Azure!

My new Azure[Sky] Lite package is almost ready, maybe I need to do some adjustments yet, but that's a small thing. I still have to do the showcase scenes, videos and documentation.

After I release Azure Lite, the first thing I'm going to do is use Azure Lite as the production base for the 4x version. So the improvements in Azure Lite will also be in the 4x version, plus the features that will be present only in the 4x version and that I already have ready to use, for example:
    • Real positioning of the sun and moon based on time, date and location. See more in post #312
    • Realistic and Projected fog. The 3x version has just the projected fog. See more in post #322
    • SDF Moon Sphere created directly in the sky shader, which takes away the need to use a RenderTexture of the moon. See more in post #386

As I already have these features ready in other separate projects, I do not think it will take too long to put everything together into one project. So once I release Azure Lite, I'm going to work to release the first Azure4x update as fast as possible. My initial intention was to release Azure4x only when I had all the features ready, but there's no reason why I should leave users waiting to use the features I've already done.

So after releasing the first Azure4x update, I'll be able to work with more time on the study and implementation of other features under development, such as:

• New Proland sky model and fog. See more in post #279 and post #288
    • Climate control.
    • Volumetric clouds. (under study)
    • Volumetric fog. (under study)

If you look at the sun at sunset(do not do it) many times the solar disk will be covered by the strong glow scattered in the atmosphere, this brightness is called Mie Scattering. I've separated a screenshot to show you as an example.
    MieScattering.jpg
    To make the solar disk appear, the correct one is to decrease the value of Mie in the "Scattering" tab. But I looked now and noticed that I set the minimum value of Mie on the curve equal to 1. To correct this, you can open the script "AzureSky_ControllerEditor" located inside the editor folder and regulate the maximum and minimum value of each curve in the Inpsector.

The code snippet that defines the Mie property curve specifications is on line number 447.
    ScriptEditorMieCurve.jpg
    In the line of code selected in the image above, just change the number 1 by 0. The code will look like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Target.MieCoeffCurve[Day] = EditorGUILayout.CurveField (Target.MieCoeffCurve[Day], curveColor, new Rect(0,0,24,4),GUILayout.MaxWidth (curveWidth));

You can adjust the minimum and maximum values of each Inspector curve if the default values are not good for you, just find in the Editor script the code stretch that you want to change, each code snippet is commented out with the name of the Property on Inpsector, so it's pretty easy to find.

Another alternative to make the solar disk visible is by increasing the value of Turbidity, this makes the Mie Scattering virtually disappear.
    Turbidity.jpg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    ftejada and Bartolomeus755 like this.