1. Help us improve the editor usability and artist workflows. Join our discussion to provide your feedback.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're looking for feedback on Unity Starter Kits! Let us know what you’d like.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 2017.2 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Unity 2017.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out all the fixes for 5.6 on the patch releases page.
    Dismiss Notice

Audio track preview in timeline?

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by jackaperkins, Jun 30, 2017.

1. jackaperkins

jackaperkins

Hello, loving the new timeline features.

Should I be able to hear an audio track when preview playing the sequence in edit mode? I created a totally default mixer/group and it works fine when I enter play mode, I just dont hear any sounds when pressing play in the timeline window. No console errors or any other glitches.

To add a twist, I'm using the older 5.6.0 beta timeline build, rather than the new 2017.1 timeline preview build. Is audible preview a feature in 2017 and not 5.6?

Many thanks,
    -Jack

2. Backside2357

Backside2357

I just installed the 2017 beta and have the same "problem". The audio preview feature is absolutely necessary, please help.

3. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Audio only works when you go in to Play Mode, the timeline window preview does not play audio.

4. Backside2357

Backside2357

Good to know that it really works like that. However, audio in preview mode is absolutely necessary.

5. truebototics

truebototics

Would be ideal to have audio in the Timeline preview window. Thanks

AndreiKubyshkin likes this.
  6. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Hey! If I add audio clips in Play Mode I'm unable to hear them playing until I restart the Play Mode. Is it an intended behaviour as well?

Also is it planned to add the ability to change volume / pan / pitch of audio tracks? Right now I can, of course, add the the game object with the audio source component to the timeline and animate it's properties with record button on separate track. But it really feels like a workaround but not the solution.

Thank you for your time!

P.S. Plus one vote for hearing the audio playback in the Edit Mode.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  7. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

If I mute audio track while in Play Mode it also doesn't do anything, the audio will play until I restart the Play Mode. It would be an underestimate to say it is inconvinient

8. thierry_unity

thierry_unity

Unity Technologies

thanks!
    This is indeed an issue, I opened a bug in our system for that. Here is the id for future reference: #930254

Another one, could be related but I want to make sure theses two issues are verified separately theses doesn't seem to be only happening with audio tracks too. here is the ID for that one #930268

thanks for reporting these issues!

AndreiKubyshkin likes this.
  9. FootprintGames

FootprintGames

I made a custom playable in order to solve that (doing a playable to show subtitles) but i cannot figure out how to adapt playable duration to AudioClip lenght.
    Can someone help me?

10. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Hey!

I met another problem. If I want to change a volume of the audio track, I'm adding the gameobject with audiosource as an animation track and animate it's volume. It works well. But when I try to change pitch of audio source, it doesn't affect the actual pitch of the track. I mean even with crazy pitch values like 0 or 100 there's no changes in the sound. Does anyone have a clue how to defeat this problem?

Thanks!