Search Unity

Associating fields of an instance of a custom event

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by xrix4096, Aug 3, 2017.

1. xrix4096

xrix4096

Hi,

I'm trying to tune the difficulty level of my game based on observing the analytics generated by my testers, basically by seeing the scores that they managed to achieve. This game runs on several platforms and can be controlled by keyboard, touch and joypads - all of which affect the difficulty and the score I'd expect to be achievable.

So at the end of a game I generate a "HiScore" custom event and put the score, the platform and what type of input method they used in there as fields of that event.

How can I make a report where I see that score xxxx was achieved using a certain input method or on a certain platform? All I can seem to find is getting counts of how many times a platform registered a score or how many times a controller was used.

TIA

-- Chris

2. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hey Chris,

I'd probably recommend that you create segments for this purpose. If the input type is strictly driven by platform, you should be able to identify the platform in the Segment Creator and just build segments based on that. If that doesn't work (e.g., if the input can be variable even within a platform), you can always send a Custom Event like input_setting, then segment on a parameter (input_type: keyboard, input_type: joypad).

BTW, I happen to currently be investigating a new idea for Unity Analytics around tuning game difficulty. Any interest in being involved (could possibly involve you being part of the early adoption program)? If so, I can PM you with some details.

3. xrix4096

xrix4096

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your response. I think I need to dig deeper on the segmentation stuff to see if I can get what I need. Segmenting on platform then sub-segmenting on input type would then let me see the final scores for each of those groups? If so that'd work for this case.

Even so I have others where I'd like to see the instance of a particular event with it's fields together. The final score custom event I have also contains breakdowns of how that score was achieved (combos, time bonuses etc) that are fairly meaningless in isolation.

I would absolutely like to participate in anything you're doing towards tuning difficulty. It's something I'm pretty interested in as left unchecked everything I make ends up way too hard :) Please do PM

Thanks again

-- Chris

4. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Averages for each group, yes. Segments allow you to specify multiple filters, so you can mix platform and input_type on each segment.

That requires a sort of aggregation we don't provide at present. You'd need to do that sort of query through Raw Data.

Awesome. I'll PM you!

5. xrix4096

xrix4096

I guess I could serialise the parameters I need into a single string value then scrape and parse them. That seems like a bit of an abuse of the system though. I need to upgrade to Pro tier so I can do the raw export.

Thanks

-- Chris