Search Unity

Asset Store Submission Process Video Template Images

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by caitlyn, May 18, 2011.

1. caitlyn

caitlyn

rogerbif and ModularTech3D like this.
  2. brn

brn

Excellent Tutorial, thankyou

3. Acumen

Acumen

Spectacular instruction video.
    It's so great how much you listen to your fans, customers and clients :)
    This covered each and every aspect. I feel like I'm ready to submit a first asset now !
    Thank you very much for this insight tutorial !

4. Acumen

Acumen

Mh, somehow would it be possible to have the Template Images as plain PNG files ?
    So one can basically use any kind of software to mockup these images.

5. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

When I click on the link I get an error message .

Greetings
    HW

6. Route 66 Rambler

Route 66 Rambler

404 Not Found

7. wicked208

wicked208

excellent tutorial but doesnt explain how to link texture to materials and this is a very common fault, mine too, and i am looking how to fix it

8. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Weird, it works for me.

Awesome tutorial, thanks Will!

9. ivanzu

ivanzu

I gotta problem when i create folders and everything i did it exactly the same as the guy in the video but when i click on Package Manager nothing happens??

10. ivanzu

ivanzu

here is console error:

Instance of AssetStorePackageConfigure couldn't be created because there is no script with that name.
    UnityEditor.EditorWindow:GetWindow(Type)
    AssetStoreManagerInternal:.ctor(Type, Type, Type)
    AssetStoreManager:the()
    AssetStoreManager:Launch()

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.EditorWindow.GetWindow (System.Type t, Boolean utility, System.String title, Boolean focus) (at E:/BuildAgent/work/71ca6fec1b41cc30/Editor/Mono/Generated/EditorWindow.cs:256)
    UnityEditor.EditorWindow.GetWindow (System.Type t) (at E:/BuildAgent/work/71ca6fec1b41cc30/Editor/Mono/Generated/EditorWindow.cs:242)
    AssetStoreManagerInternal..ctor (System.Type winType, System.Type winType2, System.Type submitWinType)
    AssetStoreManager.the ()
    AssetStoreManager.Launch ()

11. zharramadar

zharramadar

Well, just to add to this topic....

I've submitted an asset to the Asset Store this monday, and although I was successful on that, there were a couple problems I found along the way. First of all, the link for the key image templates in the tutorial is broken, I could not download it, please fix, as it was very annoying to read the unity submission process pdf, and make the key template myself on trial and error using the Preview Publish function of the Asset Store Tools. The other thing was to find the Asset Store tools to download... Following the video, they say to click in the link in the bottom-right part of the Asset Store window to download the tool, but when I clicked it, nothing happened... I had to manually search the Asset Store for the tools.

Btw, how long it takes for a submission to be reviewed and approved these days?

12. Bugfoot

Bugfoot

I'm also having some troubles with the keyimages setup... Let's take the big banner for instance. It must be 1010x389. How does this image actually get placed in the store page? Does it fit exactly, or is cropped down to a sub-region of the original image? My recent tests seem to confirm the latter. It wasn't like this when I started, so has anything changed since then? Before, it fitted my image content entirely in the region dedicated for that on the asset store. Now only a subregion of my banner shows up properly, with my title getting cut in its center:

Can anyone give some pointers on this?
    Oh and I can no longer download the Asset Store tools from the link at the bottom of the store.

UPDATE: so apparently the store is now cropping away the last 100 pixels of the big banner image. The effective size of your banner image must thus be 910 x 389, and fit in the 1010 x 389 required dimensions. I guess the asset store tool hasn't been updated yet to reflect these changes.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  13. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

Edit: Nevermind.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  14. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

SPK: Even tho' this is old, for the sake of others, in the "BIG" template, the asset store seems to need the entire image but ignores pixels 0 - 100 (105?? 110??) on the left and ignores pixels 900 - 1010 on the right. The white box drawn by the asset store "SEEMS" to be drawn from pixels 113 - 413 (appx) with rounded edged being about 5 pixels in the corner. Unfortunately it's not quite dense enough for the darker "link colored" text to be visible if over a dark background. I created an additional white box with a bit of blur on the edged to re-enforce the density of the box. Top and bottom seem to be about 10, and 379.

Also, don't forget that you can use some html tags in your description. If you are not familiar with them here's this:
    http://www.w3schools.com/tags

The asset store seems to support only em, strong, a, p br, where em is italic and strong is bold.

A link (using a for anchor) is simply: <a href="http://www.unity3d.com">Visit Unity Technologies' Website!</a>

15. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Ah: there seems to be a difference between the formatting on the Asset Store in the Unity Editor and the Webpages accessible on your browser:

This is the link to the www page:
    http://u3d.as/content/the-ant-ranch/message-manager/1B2

Not sure what's best to do, as it's now clear that one cannot really choose a specific tailored layout.

And it's clear that the www site assumes that the entire left side is white, whereas the Asset Store itself does not.

16. Rafes

Rafes

How do you find the web pages?

By the way, the photoshop templates have these guides built in so you know the cutoff points. They recommend using their masks. I didn't this time (except for the small and icon) but I definitely respected them by not going too far off spec.

17. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

To find the webpage, the easiest thing is to boot up Unity and then the Asset Store and go to this unexplained drop-down:

and it will reveal this:

You can open the page and then copy the url...

18. Rafes

Rafes

Thanks! This site REALLY needs a reputation system. REALLY.

19. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Heh!

And in the "what does this button do" category:

Looks like these do the same thing as the pull down...

Wondered what the green one was for!

20. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Is it just me or is there now a confusing difference between the image sizes from Will's zip file download versus what's described in the asset store submission guidelines pdf file?

The pdf says 1010x389.
    The template file is 850x389?

The discussion above sort of makes sense and I think the zip file came out after the pdf file, so do we go with that?

21. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Just to clarify, although Will's zip template for the big images was 850x389, the asset store package manager won't accept your image until it's 1010x389. So I had to extend the canvas and, going a bit by what was said above, I figured:

1010-850=160

So I added 110 pixels on the right of the 850, and 50 pixels on the left. I could not get the asset store Preview to work so I have no idea if I got it right but fingers crossed.

22. jashan

jashan

There's now templates coming as part of the AssetStore Tools, and those seem to have the correct dimensions. However, they have 16 bit per channel, which is not correct - it must be 8 bit per channel.

The tutorial video seems to not play at the moment - at least not in Safari (it does play in Google Chrome for me, after quite a delay ... I guess that's an issue with Vimeo ... if that is Vimeo ;-) ).

23. ivanzu

ivanzu

I'm confused didn't whyroph made naturepack?
    edit
    My bad they just have same avatar.
    You should remove the link.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  24. Neodrop

Neodrop

The Asset Store Tools not work with Unity 3.5 even after udating from Asset Store. What's up ?

$assetStoreTools.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  25. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Yeah same here cant use Asset Store tools at all, tried reimporting latest tools from store but get the same error as Neodrop.

26. jdrewsen

jdrewsen

Unity Technologies

An new version of the tool with support for 3.5 will be out in a couple of work days.

27. Art Of Bytes

Art Of Bytes

28. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Art Of Bytes: Thanks for the info. I fixed the OP.

29. Roidz99

Roidz99

Seems there is a problem with the asset store currently. The button that should say 'buy now' is stuck on 'please wait'.

I can't say if this is just me or if its for everyone, but ofcourse we can't sell assets like this :)

Can you please look into this ?

EDIT :
    the 'bug' got fixed later this day. Not sure if it needed human interaction ,but thanks anyway :)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  30. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Please can you increase the 1000 character limit on the version history for submission, just isn't enough sometimes when adding new features and lots of improvements made in a new release.
    Chris

31. mas

mas

Something is 'probably' wrong with the assetstore publishing system. I am om my 4th try to update my Orthello 2D Framework 100% Free edition. It updates everything except the package contents.

Never had this problem before, no errors are displayed and my version and info is updated as it should.

Can someone of Unity support please contact me to solve this? I have tried to get in contact for some time now but no reactions until now.

32. whydoidoit

whydoidoit

The key images download link appears to be broken.

33. eldanu

eldanu

Hi,
    how I do to paste a link to a Youtube video??

34. unityjohan

unityjohan

Hi there Eldanu,

It's easy, you just use the following HTML code:

<a href="webpageaddress">displayed text</a>

35. Clark990

Clark990

The link is still not working. There is something wrong with it. Every time when i click on the link i got error. Please re-post a correct link again.

Thanks

36. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Just checking you did replace webpageddress with your youtube link?

37. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

This:
    http://forum.unity3d.com

plus this:
    <a href="webpageaddress">displayed text</a>

Should be this:
    <a href="http://forum.unity3d.com">A link to the Unity forums!</a>

38. crafTDev

crafTDev

How do I put spaces between words of text in my Asset description? Pressing "Enter" spaces the text but when I preview, doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks.

Nvm : my asset update just hit the store and it seems that the spacing just doesn't show in preview mode.

FYI : To do this, add <br><br> between text for spacing.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  39. Rafes

Rafes

Hi,

Can you please update the instructions to make it clear the Assets folder can be chosen for upload? People don't understand that they can setup their project to install their plugins to the Plugins and Editor folders. I bought two plugin packages this week that have complicated installation instructions that include moving files to Plugins. I also updated an older package that had this same fault and I had to find some new files and move them around to get the compiler to see them.

This is important for several reasons:

1. It keeps projects organized with multiple plugins (ours and third party)
    2. Everything ends up in the right assemblies so scripts are...
      • executed in the right order
      • easy to find in IDEs like Visual Studio

We have a rather large project with a number of AssetStore packages and about half of them do this wrong.

We have three packages we distribute ourselves. All three install to common folders under Plugins and Editor. We got the idea from other third party packages. It isn't just us. It works.

Our distribution project top-folders look like this (using a package named "Awesome Package):
    Code (csharp):
    2. Assets
    3.     AssetStoreTools
    4.     Awesome Package Examples
    5.     Editor
    6.         Awesome Package
    7.     Plugins
    8.         Awesome Package
    If a distributor plans to release several packages it may be better to use a common folder. For example, lets say the distributor is "Awesome Dev" and they have two packages: "Awesome PackageA" and "Awesome PackageB", and these share some common scripts:

Code (csharp):
    2. Assets
    3.     AssetStoreTools
    4.     Awesome Dev Examples
    5.         Awesome PackageA
    6.         Awesome PackageB
    7.     Editor
    8.         Awesome Dev
    9.             Common
    10.             Awesome PackageA
    11.             Awesome PackageB
    12.     Plugins
    13.         Awesome Dev
    14.             Common
    15.             Awesome PackageA
    16.             Awesome PackageB
    Please, please, please make this a standard. You (Unity) made these Plugin and Editor folders special. You should not accept plugin packages to the store that don't do the above properly.

40. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Does anyone know how to submit an update while the asset is under 50% Madness discount? I'm not sure what price to request, in particular. Script Inspector's price before was $10 and now as part of the Madness it's $5. I would like to keep the same prices but I'm not sure how to request that, shall I say $10 or $5?

41. jashan

jashan

{EDIT: Never mind ;-) ... I kind of missed an important part in Rafes' posting: What you need to do is have a project just for publishing your package, and in that project, select the "Assets" folder as your "Assets Folder". That way it works and the AssetStoreTools folder which obviously is also below "Assets" is ignored, so that's all good. See next posting for how I'm doing this now ;-)

... and discard the rest of this posting - it was born of ignorance ;-)
    END EDIT}

I really like that folder layout but at the moment, this doesn't really seem to work :-(

In the current version of the Asset Store Tools, there's "Assets Folder" - but I can only select a single folder there. So I can either pick one folder from Plugins, or one folder from Editor. But there's currently no way to get Editor/NarayanaGames/Common plus Editor/NarayanaGames/AwesomePackage plus Plugins/NarayanaGames/Common plus Editor/NarayanaGames/AwesomePackage.

Besides, there's "Main Assets" - which may be nice for art assets; but I'm creating a script so that's kind of pointless for me.

Can you please add a way to have a list of "Assets Folders"? Otherwise, publishing scripting packages doesn't really work ATM (unless you don't include the "Assets Folder" itself in the package and instead use that as root - but it would be nice to know that *before* publishing).

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  42. jashan

jashan

So what I ended up doing was keeping my "packages project" with all my Asset Store and other packages, which is also under version control and has the AssetStoreTools imported, as well as all the package art etc. in a nice folder hierarchy.

That's the project I'm doing the actual development in. Also I do previews from there - but I don't submit from there (because it wouldn't be possible with this folder layout - everything would end up in one huge package). In that "all my packages project", I use the package manager to update any package art or package descriptions etc.

Once I have a version of a specific package complete, I use the standard "export package" feature of Unity and select the folders I need for any given package. To understand this step, you need the full folder hierarchy I have in my "packages project". It's similar to what Rafes suggested, with a few ideas for improvements (hopefully, eventually some sort of folder structure like this can be established as "standard"):

Code (csharp):
    2. // -: opened folder (contents of that folder below)
    3. // +: closed folder (I have more below that but that is not relevant here)
    4. // o: a file
    6. // general purpose examples folder that can be deleted at any time without breaking anything
    7. AssetExamples // if there's "AssetStore" in the name, it doesn't get published, ouch! <-- EDIT
    8.    - NarayanaGames
    9.      + ScoreFlash
    10.      + Package B
    11.      + Package C
    14. // I'm not using the following one myself - but as an Asset Store
    15. // customer, I'd love to have all assets from the asset store in
    16. // one folder, with one folder per company / product. So this folder
    17. // would have the same structure as the others.
    18. AssetsFromStore // see above - "AssetStore - Assets" will not be submitted because it has "AssetStore" in its name
    20. // this has to be there to manage packages etc., I also put the package art templates here:
    21. AssetStoreTools
    23. Editor
    24.   - NarayanaGames
    25.     + Common // editor related stuff I might include in all packages or some
    26.     + Common-NotUsed // stuff I decided to not include for now but might do so later
    27.     + ScoreFlash
    28.     + Package B
    29.     + Package C
    31. Plugins
    32.   - NarayanaGames
    33.     + Common // stuff I might include in all packages or some
    34.     + Common-NotUsed // stuff I decided to not include for now but might do so later
    35.     + ScoreFlash
    36.     + Package B
    37.     + Package C
    38.   // this is right under NarayanaGames, side by side with the package-folders
    39.   o README-ScoreFlash.txt
    40.   o README-PackageB.txt
    41.   o README-PackageC.txt
    43. XgfxPNGandJPGs
    44.   - NarayanaGames // images for my company on the asset store
    45.     o big.png
    46.     o small.png
    47.   - ScoreFlash // image for that package on the asset store
    48.     o big.png
    49.     o icon.png
    50.     - Screenshots
    51.       o 01_somename.jpg
    52.       o 02 // ... and ... I would appreciate if that order was respected (it seemingly is not)
    53.     o small.png
    54.   + Package B
    55.   + Package C
    57. XgfxSource // this has the same layout as XgfxPNGandJPGs but contains PSD-files
    So ... let's say I want to publish ScoreFlash, what I do is:

1) Multi-Select the following folders and the readme file:

AssetStore - Examples/NarayanaGames/ScoreFlash/
    Editor/NarayanaGames/Common/
    Editor/NarayanaGames/ScoreFlash/
    Plugins/NarayanaGames/Common/
    Plugins/NarayanaGames/ScoreFlash/
    Plugins/README-ScoreFlash.txt

2) Use "Export package" from the project browser context menu and store it with a version number in my package repository folder (located outside of the project)

3) Create a new empty project

4) Import the package I have created in step 2 ... and do some final testing (e.g. I do builds of my demo scenes to all supported targets from all supported Unity versions and check whether everything's fine in all of them)

5) If I find bugs or other issues, I fix them in my version controlled project that has all packages (the one with the large folder hierarchy), once all that's done, I "go to step 1" and repeat

6) Once I passed my own Q/A I switch roles again and import the Asset Store Tools from the Asset Store into my "clean project"

7) I open Package Manager, do a final review of everything and finally hit the Submit button.

8) :cool: I do a little celebration ceremony so the Goddesses and Gods of abundance let positive reviews and bags of money rain on me. :cool:

There's other areas that I believe could use some standardization (like how menus should be added and how priorities for those menus should be centrally assigned by UT ... oh, and namespaces ... and ...) - but now I have to get back to work ;-)

What do you think about this approach? Did I miss anything?

Obviously, you could also simply have "one project per package" which would simplify the process ... in that case, you could probably add your "package art" below the AssetStoreTools folder to make sure they are not included in the package you publish. But with that "low-weight" approach, a standard folder layout that helps keep customer's project folders tidy would still be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  43. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

I just updated to the latest Asset Store Tools and now the version info is a readonly label showing the released version.

Anyone know how to set the new version info before submitting?

44. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

You will get the chance to set the version number when you submit.

45. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Thanks!

46. newlife

newlife

Im trying to upload the new version of my package but it experiencing a problem. the package has been rejected due the presence of the folder AssetStore. I deleted the folder as suggested by asset store admin, but its always recreated by Unity.
    Im using Unity 3.5.5 and AssetStoreManager 3.2.3.

47. tonemcbride

tonemcbride

Hi,

Does anyone know what the average time for asset store submission is at the moment? I submitted mine more than 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet.

Thanks,
    Tony

48. Rafes

Rafes

1-5 days in my experience, usually closer to 2. I guess it depends on your asset though.

49. tonemcbride

tonemcbride

Thanks for letting me know, I'm not sure why mine is taking so long :(

50. Kafar

Kafar

Hi all,

I have a question about the submission process: I created a material with textures that use the Toon Shading present in Assets Standard. This shader I must put in package or not?
    Thanks in advance

-Kafar