Search Unity

[Solved] Asset Store Madness 'compile' link.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZJP, Apr 17, 2017.

1. ZJP

ZJP

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    schmosef and Teila like this.
  2. Teila

Teila

Yeah, I worry that there are so many gems that I didn't know I needed on sale and hidden on the masses of AS pages. A compiled list would be very useful and probably help developers sell more.

schmosef likes this.
  3. N1warhead

N1warhead

Yeah I've been looking as well, otherwise everything will be just as it's always been - hidden lol.

Teila likes this.
  4. Kronnect

Kronnect

There're still many categories with assets on sale that are not exposed on the front page.
    You can to click on the publisher name though and see what he/she has on sale.

5. Nixaan

Nixaan

Looks like the number of included assets is bigger than the past sales.

6. schmosef

schmosef

7. N1warhead

N1warhead

8. schmosef

schmosef

They definitely are.

If you go to the main page of the Editor Extensions section, you'll see a number of assets on sale.

Same is true for other sections like Particle Systems and Shaders.

They just haven't posted those section list yet.

N1warhead likes this.
  9. Teila

Teila

Yes, but there are still developers missing from those lists. I know because some of them are my friends. :) So I suggest still looking through the files. Also, some of them on my wishlist which showed up in my mail are not on these lists either.

ZJP and Kronnect like this.
  10. Murgilod

Murgilod

Oooof, that nottorus discount comes at the worst time. I'd easily have bought it if I didn't just make a major purchase.

N1warhead likes this.
  11. ZJP

ZJP

12. LaneFox

LaneFox

They probably aren't going to have a complete list, there are tons of assets in this sale.

You're probably best off just searching for things you want and seeing if they're on sale, rather than scrubbing through the 'stuff on sale' list that is normally provided.

13. schmosef

schmosef

Honestly, this is a horrible situation.

For asset purchasers, it's basically impossible to see everything that's on sale. I've tried paging through the 3D models section, sorted by name, and the list is inconsistent if I page forward and backward. So, I'm not getting to see every asset.

For asset sellers, there's just not enough exposure, which is the entire point of discounting the price of your asset.

VIC20, Socrates, Ryiah and 3 others like this.
  14. Ryiah

Ryiah

Agreed. That said I simply visited my Wish List, noticed there were two of the entries on sale, and bought them.

15. schmosef

schmosef

Oh, I've done that. My credit card is begging for mercy.

But there are so many other assets that I didn't know about, which are now on sale... and the exposure is poor.

As with past sales, I think Unity will get their marketing together over the next day and then we'll get a better handle on things.

16. Ryiah

Ryiah

If we're lucky one day they will get their web development together and create a page that lists every current sale. Clearly the system is already able to identify that an asset is on sale or it wouldn't display the little flare that it does. Unless it genuinely takes their system this long to generate the list of assets in which case there is something seriously wrong with their system.

Kiwasi and schmosef like this.
  17. hopeful

hopeful

Is there a notice somewhere where it says how much longer this sale will be on?

Originally I saw a notice saying "13 days," but they changed the displays, so I no longer see any countdown anywhere. Am I just missing it?

18. Teila

Teila

Ugh, this has been a very disorganized sale. I love the idea...but...some developers stuff is not showing on the official drop downs. Some categories are missing from the dropdowns. There are 500+ pages on the asset store just in models and I grew tired of looking at each page very quickly...and my hands hurt.

They say 13 days and then take it away and there are hints that a second wave is coming. So...if we spend all our money on the first wave because are afraid the current assets on sale will be taken off, then we will have nothing to spend on the second wave...and those asset developers will suffer.

My plan it to get the ones I really want now but there are a few that are interesting but not must haves now. So I will skip those. Unfortunately, only a few devs will feel my generosity though...lol...and gratitude. Sorry about the great stuff I missed. :( Rest assured if I still want it, I will probably get it eventually.

schmosef likes this.
  19. hopeful

hopeful

Two waves? I haven't seen anything about that. Perhaps the 2nd wave will be in a few months?

It would be great if there was notice of a deadline somewhere. Because there are so many things for me to buy, and limited money, I'm counting on taking some time to narrow it down. If I'm running out of time, it would be good to know that. ;)

20. N1warhead

N1warhead

I was under the impression that the two waves was during this few days. At least that's what I understood from the email I got.

It says "The sale will run in two waves — assets may be included in one or both at our discretion."
    The sale is this Madness sale, so I'd rightly so assume that half way between between the 17th and 30th they will change to the second wave.

The sale is from 17th - 30th which is 14 (if you assume the 31st) is the last day it will actually run before they can close it all out), so divide that by (2), which is 7(d)-7(d)
    (7 days for first wave, 7 days for second wave).
    Or if they mean it on a technical level and literally close it off on midnight on the 30th then that would be 6.5(d) - 6.5(d).
    So somewhere in the middle of the day during the 6th day it will cross over to the second wave.

21. hopeful

hopeful

Ah, so some people got an email. I received one from them on the 15th promoting some scripted assets, but nothing since.

So I guess wave #2 logically starts on Monday the 24th, and continues through Sunday, April 30th.

All very good to know! Thanks! :)

N1warhead likes this.
  22. QFSW

QFSW

I presume the email was only sent to asset publishers but yeah thats all we know, us devs in the sale know just about as much as you guys do :p

23. HemiMG

HemiMG

I signed up the two assets that meet the criteria, well aware that the size of the sale would reduce the visibility boost, but still figuring it would be enough to increase sales enough to be worth it. It seems like they are only even trying to boost visibility for certain categories though. Now I feel as though, at a time when I can't afford my mortgage, I've done nothing but cost myself money. Though I guess nobody will be buying not on sale assets while there is such a big sale going on. So we were damned if we did and damned if we didn't. My most popular asset wasn't in the first wave, so hopefully things will turn around for the second.

schmosef likes this.
  24. hopeful

hopeful

I assume Unity is going to get a nice kick in UAS revenues from this sale. I wonder if this sale was planned for that purpose, and if so, did they need the money for something?

OTOH, I do appreciate a sale, and if they're doing it for the customers / community, I'm thankful. :)

25. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

you can try sorting by date published. one of the criteria was that the assets be recently updated within the last few months, so that'll help you pull the sale items all closer to the top.

hopeful likes this.
  26. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The whole point of all sales is to get people to buy stuff, and earn more money than they would have done otherwise. It's never done just to be nice. ;) But the expose for this sale has been poor, I must say. SpriteTile is on sale, but the sale has had no effect so far. Last time it was on sale, it sold a lot more than it normally does.

--Eric

schmosef and Teila like this.
  27. HemiMG

HemiMG

What worries me is that getting in on this sale might have put my assets in the bottom of the list for any future sales. I'd much rather have my best selling asset in a proper sale with proper exposure than waste it on one that only costs me money.

28. ZJP

ZJP

or, just next to 'SORT BY RELEVANCE / POPULARITY / NAME / PRICE / RATING / UPDATED' adding a flag 'Sale Only'. :p

giraffe1, Socrates and schmosef like this.
  29. schmosef

schmosef

If I could like this twice, I would.

ZJP likes this.
  30. schmosef

schmosef

I wonder if any of this feedback is getting to the powers that be at Unity.

31. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Perhaps they deliberately don't want to categorise sale items together? If they do that then people can easily look only at sale items, whereas if they're scattered throughout then we have to look through all the parts of the store we're interested in, and that will in fact increase exposure for everyone.

32. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

I agree with this sentiment. This feels like an experiment and they are probably measuring many factors. The obvious ones being revenue and traffic with a huge sale but there are probably other goals. I'm not sure the lists are fully deliberate it does feel a bit rushed and untested (no rotation of items, one of the categories had no image, doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to the time each category gets on the front page, etc.) but despite the shaky execution at least during planning I'm sure they wanted to measure those things as well like sales of those in the lists vs. those with just the banner, and overall exploration increase or decrease. The asset store team has been tinkering with a lot over the last year (number of items in the carousel, decreasing the max sale percent down from 50%, etc.) and seems to be gathering some meaningful data on how to increase revenue for the store. Like anything else some experiments go well and some not but I like that they aren't just sticking with the original formula because all stores need to evolve.

33. schmosef

schmosef

You might be right.

But I think you are giving them too much credit.

I think the experiment was just to see if they could create a big revenue push and it didn't occur to them that the existing search and filter functions of the asset store were not up to the task.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  34. mdrotar

mdrotar

I hope this isn't considered spam but http://www.assetstoresales.com has a browsable, compiled list of all items on sale during this "biggest sale ever" event. (disclaimer: it's my affiliate site)

chelnok, Ryiah, pcg and 2 others like this.
  35. Kronnect

Kronnect

This is an example of how affiliate program is supposed to work. I think this can answer some of the petitions on this thread.

ZJP likes this.
  36. schmosef

schmosef

If this is complete, then it's awesome! Thanks for posting.

Kronnect likes this.
  37. ZJP

ZJP

Yesssss !!!!. Thanks.

38. Teila

Teila

Did you take this off the official lists or did you compile it yourself from the asset store? I ask because if it is the official lists, it is not complete. I would be happy to press your links for my purchases if it is truly complete. :)

schmosef likes this.
  39. TonyLi

TonyLi

40. giraffe1

giraffe1

41. TonyLi

TonyLi

One of the rotating panels on the Asset Store's carousel is Biggest Sale Ever [Shop Now]. It looks like this points to the same URL. The other Biggest Sale Ever panels link to category-specific filters, such as for Textures, Models, etc.

42. ZJP

ZJP

43. TonyLi

TonyLi

I posted this additional info in another thread: You can add "&category:#" to the end of the URL to narrow it down to a category. Unfortunately you need to know the category number. To get the category number, clear the filter and click on a category in the right-hand list. For example, if you click on Scripting it will go to this URL:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/search/page=1/sortby=popularity/query=category:2

The category number is 2. You can add that to the end of the on_sale URL, as some of the other category-specific carousel panels do:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/search/page=1/sortby=relevance/query=on_sale:yes&category:2

Ryiah and schmosef like this.
  44. ZJP

ZJP

or just go in the Category you want and add 'on_sale:yes' in the filter zone, without adding nothing to the URL. :D

Ryiah, TonyLi and Socrates like this.
  45. mdrotar

mdrotar

Thanks, there was a glitch preventing a small number of items from being shown. Looks like Unity has got sale filtering figured out in their store now anyway.

46. Socrates

Socrates

3,285 items on sale... I think I need to hide my credit card.

mdrotar, Ryiah, ZJP and 1 other person like this.
  47. ZJP

ZJP

Like winter, bankruptcy is coming. :D

Ryiah, Socrates and schmosef like this.
  48. schmosef

schmosef

I tried paging through Unity's asset store with the on_sale filter and had to give up because of all the glitches.

I ended up using your site to page through all the items on sale. It was very helpful. Thank you for providing such a useful resource.

I will make an effort to click through your site when buying assets going forward.

mdrotar likes this.
  49. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

It looks like wave 2 has started. Luckily, I bought what I wanted from wave 1 last night.

50. ZJP

ZJP

Madness is coming.

schmosef likes this.