Search Unity

Asset Store Icon Design

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alexanderameye, Apr 23, 2017.

1. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Hey!

I am kind of re-branding my asset store presence and I wanted to design some new icons for my assets. I have a design but I would like to give some feedback on them. Do you like the colors? Is there too little information? Any feedback is welcome!

2. Nova-Shade

Nova-Shade

Could you please also upload a real sized version of them , in 128 pixels , so we can see the final result ?

My first impression is the main picture in your logo is too small (the door for example) I would size it until it almost reach the border of the icon.

Concerning the colors, yellow is sure eyecatching but it also personally gives me an impression of cheapness. Maybe go for some sort of gradient ? ( not too much colors )

This is all I can tell for the moment , it's hard to say. I'm waiting to see further iterations to be able to tell you more :)

3. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

I resized the logo a bit and added a gradient, I don't want to loose that minimalistic look though, and you're right about that yellow, I can understand that it looks cheapish, but these guys can pull it off though. Maybe go for a darker/orangy yellow? I also resized it to 128x128

EDIT:
    What about this darker one?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  4. Nova-Shade

Nova-Shade

Yes , the tint of the yellow is important , toward orange is always better than bright yellow I guess.

I just had another idea : maybe try to have a "dark" background and a lighten main picture over it ?

I hear you when you say you want to keep it minimalistic, but have you considered to use some image effects in photoshop , such as contour , bevels or drop shadows ? Just a light touch of it.

The more iterations you have the more feedback there will be I think , so let's try :D

5. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

What about this one?

I'm working in gimp and I'm not an artist so I never really used it, but I'll try look at those things you said.

6. Nova-Shade

Nova-Shade

The new yellow is better. The dark background is good too , I can't really decide between. Let's see what others think about them.

7. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Yes I like the darker yellow a lot, I'm going to change the font though. And what about rounded edges?

8. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

I actually think I'm going to use these:

Maybe I'll make that green a bit darker though.

Edit: I'll also need to make that text bigger, it's quite unreadable when it's on the asset store.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  9. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

UPDATE: I ended up switching a bit between different icons but I never really was happy with the design. Today I was scrolling through some old travel posters since I absolutely love the design of these old posters and I found a cool old poster of the 'Zion National Park' in Utah I believe.

The design was colorful, displayed a rock and had that cool retro feel.

So what I did was I cropped the photo to 128x128 and removed the text on top and made it into an icon. My asset is a rock generator so I definitely think the icon tells a lot about what kind of asset it is.

This is how the preview of the icon looks:

My question for you is, do you like this design? Do you think it 'fits' for the Unity Asset Store? Or should it be flashy and modern? There are tons of other posters out there so if you don't like the poster, I can try out some other designs of the rock?

Thanks for reading!

Alex

10. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Just grabbing a poster you like and using it is inappropriate, misleading and most likely copyright infringement. Don't.

Martin_H likes this.
  11. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Alright thank you for that input! I checked if I could use the poster before editing it and copyright is no problem, but I didn't think it through that it might be misleading, valid point, thanks.

Maybe I could just try recreating the view using my asset, that would be more appropriate.

Edit: For now I'll just keep this design:

You'll have to excuse me for this misstep as a publisher. I should've known that the image of the national park would be very misleading.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017