Search Unity

Asset Store Assets Commercial Use?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Narnialover, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Narnialover

Narnialover

Hi! Quick question. Sorry if this isn't the right place. I thought General Discussion sounded right. If I've gotten something from the asset store, do I need to pay any extra fees to the company that made it or to Unity before I can use it in a commercial project? Thanks!

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Odds are no, unless it's otherwise specified by the asset creator. Which asset was it?

3. orb

orb

No, generally not. If they use the standard asset store licence you're set for any commercial game use. If they have a third-party EULA, read it carefully.

4. Narnialover

Narnialover

Thanks! I'm thinking about setting up as an indie game developer and I really don't want to put a lot of work into a project and then find out that I can't actually use some of the assets I put in it. If you have any tips you think might be helpful, please pass them along. Thanks, everybody, for the help!

Kronnect likes this.
  5. TonyLi

TonyLi

This question comes up a lot. Unity could make it a little clearer on the Asset Store itself. The official answer is here:
    Also, please make sure you don't add paid assets to publicly-accessible version control repositories, such as public Github repositories. Otherwise anyone on the Internet can steal the product that you just paid good money for.

And if you're working with others, check the asset's description for the phrase "This extension requires one license per seat." If that's the case, please buy a license for each team member to stay legal.

6. Narnialover

Narnialover