Search Unity

Asset Server and Lightmaps

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Tony-P, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Tony-P

Tony-P

So this is a bug that was a bit tricky to find. If you happen to use Asset server and do any work with lightmaps, please let me know if we're the only people finding this issue.

Steps:
    1. Create a new project and commit it to the asset server.
    2. Create a simple scene with lightmap.
    3. Generate the lightmap and then commit your changes to the asset server.
    4. Clear your lightmaps and rebake.
    5. Try to commit your new changes. You will then be prompted that you're out of date and need to sync.

This isn't a terrible thing to work around if it's just one or two people and updates have been frequent, but it's rather annoying and potentially dangerous.

I've attached a sample project in case there is something that I'm doing wrong, or if I'm missing a setting somewhere.

We're using the latest version of asset server and unity 4.0.0f.

-T

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  2. roxIndie

roxIndie

Same problem here. Started happening after upgrade to Unity 4... :(

3. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

Had this for a while. It's not new to 4.x.

Can you send a bug report to Unity?

4. scritchy

scritchy

we have this as well and its causing us a lot of trouble.
    nearing end of project and updates are taking a substantial amount of time, so this is now causing a righteous time sink.
    anybody from unity chime in?
    actually, more importantly, had anybody come up with a workaround?!

5. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I haven't encountered this problem myself with 4.0, but as a workaround have you tried clearing the lightmaps, saving the scene, and then committing that change before baking the new lightmaps?

6. J.Kang

J.Kang

I have same problem within unity4. It's really bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbig... trouble.
    Please let me know the solution.

7. Pixipulp

Pixipulp

We have got the same problem:

-create project
    -bake lightmaps
    -commit
    -delete lightmaps
    -commit
    -rebake lightmaps
    -trying to commit -> FAIL: “Commit failed because some of the files being committed are not up to date. Please update all assets first.”

It’s impossible to work with lightmaps and the asset server like this… :( I didn’t found a solution till now.

8. milkytea

milkytea

Same here.
    It's very annoying.
    Did anyone find a workaroud?

9. Kuba

Kuba

Hey guys,

We're really sorry that so many of you stumbled into this bug. I can confirm that we can reproduce it as well. It's not specific to lightmapping, it happens when a file is deleted and readded at the same path during the same run of the Unity Editor.

For the time being please use the following steps to workaround the problem:
    1. Generate the lightmap and then commit your changes to the Asset Server. <-- that's where you're at
    2. Clear your lightmaps.
    3. Restart Unity.
    4. Rebake.
    5. Asset Server will first show the deletion of lightmaps. Commit that.
    6. Then the Asset Server will refresh and will show the lightmaps as new. Commit that.

Kos-Dvornik likes this.
  10. frozenpepper

frozenpepper

We are having huge issues handling lightmaps and AssetBundles through asset server, solution posted above doesn't always work, and if somebody misses one step once all goes lost and we have to rebake or manually bring the lightmaps to the other computers.
    We are suffering a lot also from asset bundles and this bug....

With lightmaps the problem is especially marked as it is common to make a few bakes to test illumination, and if by mistake you don't follow the correct "bug workaround " procedure, lightmaps get messed up on everybody else computer except the one on which the lightmaps where baked.

It has costed us countless hours since we are using very intesively, lightmaps, bundles, custom mesh generation and various other file types we generate via code in editor.
    Please fix this, i actually had given for granted that Unity was well aware of the bug, since if working in a middle size team and use at least lightmaps, it is almost impossible not to encounter it.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  11. ScottYann

ScottYann

This bug is still out there. We just found it today 10/4/2013

12. Pix10

Pix10

This bug STILL exists.

Is there ever going to be an update to Asset Server?

Also, Cache Server and Lightmaps don't seem to play well -- Update lightmaps on one machine from Asset Server, and it starts to import them, without getting them from the Cache Server. A wild guess is that it's related to the above issue.

13. kalamona

kalamona

This bug still seems to exist (version: 4.3). Please fix it, or is that fixed in 4.5?

14. mrexcessive

mrexcessive

Asset server seems to be a piece of *%!£ in this area. If you have some version of a project committed and then revert to an earlier branch (something went wrong... that's why we have version control...) then when you try to recommit you will find yourself stymied... Unity / Asset Server combination will want you to apply the 'broken' updates from server to local machine, before committing your changes, so you can either archive all the changed files locally, update from server, then manually copy your archive back over... then commit... (dangerous if more than a couple of files changed... and, really Unity.. this sort of thing should just fork... )

But a half-decent workaround is to simply create a new project on the server, leave the old one, add an A or B or whatever... break the connection, reconnect to new project and commit. This is 'poor man's forking'... or words which sound similar to that!

Shame Asset Server is so bad... it very much lets down the otherwise excellent Unity Pro setup, but this works unless you are heavily multi-authoring.

Hope that helps someone!

15. Pix10

Pix10

There may be light at the end of the tunnel for UAS.

Would also be nice to see it included in Unity Cloud ... fair enough a lot of people use local UAS installs, but hey we use local SVN installs too. But our Asset Server has been running on EC2 for over 2 years without being shut down, no problem.

Heck I'd happily pay UT the fees I pay for AWS if they want to do the hosting themselves with the new UAS.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/official-how-can-we-serve-you-better.245901/page-3

jdrewson writes:

16. PolygonFormation

PolygonFormation

This bug STILL EXISTS .... in U5.0.0f4 with latest Asset Server.

We can't "bake-comit/clear/restart/rebake/comit" for each scene come on !
    (mostly with enlighten being quite long to bake....)

We need to be able to have several 3d artists lightmap their level smoothly !

Up !

Chilbig likes this.
  17. frozenpepper

frozenpepper

Our new lightmapping workflow with asset server is the following (Unity 4.x, not sure about 5) :
    - Bake LIghtmaps
    - Save Scene
    - Commit
    - (Asset server will probably complain and ask you to get old commits of same scene lightmaps, proceed but IGNORE server changes)
    - Commit again
    - In project view "Reimport" the full lightmaps folder
    - Save scene again
    - Commit !

Hope it helps, it's actually faster than it seems ...
    But, after many years of suffering and complete lack of improvements, we are moving to perforce.

18. Futurerobot

Futurerobot

Getting the same bug in Unity 5.1.1
    When I bake lightmaps, I have to update and ignore the server lightmaps before I'm allowed to commit. Would it be possible to show the conflicts as a part of the commit process? Just to make the bump in the road a little smoother. :)

kalamona likes this.
  19. kalamona

kalamona

This bug STILL exists. It is incredibly annoying.

20. Jessespike

Jessespike

using 5.2.2f1 in June 2016. Bug still exists. Thankfully I ran into this thread, because no where else is this explained.