Search Unity

Games Armored Squad - team shooter with mechs, robots and tanks

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by AndreiKubyshkin, Jul 15, 2017.

1. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Art1920x1080.jpg

Hey there!

I'm happy to announce the game I'm currently working on.

Armored Squad - is a team shooter with mechs, robots and tanks featuring 60 single player levels and a cross-platform online multiplayer.

target platforms are: IOS, Android and PC

at the time we have:
    • Online multiplayer with 6 game modes: Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the flag, Control Points, Bomb Delivery, Mechaball ( football / soccer with mechs)
    • single player campaign with 60 levels. You can choose from 20 types of bots to buy for your team and manage their behaviour.
    • 16 playable mechs
    • More than 100 items to customize your mech: armor plates, rocket lauchers, mortars, jump jets, melee weapons, force field generators, sentry guns and so on.
    • 30 types of main weapon for mech - from machine guns and grenade launchers to lasers and plasma guns.
    • 10 ranks to achieve - from Private to General of the Army

site: www.ArmoredSquad.com
    twitter: https://twitter.com/NinjaStealthDev
    facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ArmoredSquadGame/
    vk: https://vk.com/public150361772
    indiedb page: http://www.indiedb.com/games/armored-squad

The game has been released on Android, IOS and Steam ( PC).

Google Play : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.FoxForceGames.ArmoredSquad

IOS: https://itunes.apple.com/ru/app/armored-squad-mechs-vs-robots/id1315724493?mt=8

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/786280/Armored_Squad/

Thank you for the attention;)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  2. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Ok, once it is a wip developement forum, I thought I would share some of my findings during the work.

This week I decided to make several short videos of gameplay and also combine some of cutscenes with gameplay videos to show them as trailers.

Some time ago I used to work with Adobe Premiere as a non-linear video editor. And the program is great, no doubts about that. But they moved to the description model and I can't say I'm a huge fan of that. So I decided to search for some free replacement software, and came across blender.

Blender is a 3d modelling / animation software, but just in case some of you may not know it, it also can be used as a video editor. I tried it several times but found it to be very counter intuitive.

This time I decided to be more patient, and search for some tutorials across the web.

Here's the guy who teaches step by step exactly what I was looking for: how to use Blender as a NLE video editor.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjyuVPBuorqIhlqZtoIvnAVQ3x18sNev4

Just thought I can recommend this series of lessons to anyone who have the same problem as I do.

And Blender is not that bad. Actually I found it to be very convinient after some time:)

3. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Despite he likes to give strange orders, Boss is a cool guy.

He is the 4-th level robot, wich gives him ability to eqip swords, lasers, double rocket launchers and jump jets of the 3rd level.

RavenOfCode and PhilippG like this.
  4. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Made couple of new mechs for the red team

redMechs.png

5. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Another gameplay video, mechs duel

Sometimes another mechs challenge you for a duel. Those are special mechs that are much stronger than usual enemies. They also have personality: name, portrait and dialog sentences for different events in the game.

Instead of trying to follow game rules ( like trying to capture the flag in CTF mode) they will search you on the battlefield each time after respawn.

The duel continues until one of duelers will be defeated 3 times. If you win, you get spare parts of destroyed mech. Theese parts can be used to assemble new playable mechs from blueprints. And blueprints are hidden here and there around levels.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  6. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

After several years of using Unity and pressing printscreen and then ctrl+V in the Photoshop - I finally managed to write couple of lines to make screenshots :D

Code (CSharp):
    2. //this should be placed somewhere in update function on some persistent gameObject
    3. //in my case this is GameManager, the object that exists in every scene troughout the game.
    4. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    5.         if (Input.GetButtonDown("Screenshot"))
    6.         {
    7.             CaptureScreenshot();
    8.         }
    9. #endif
    12.     void CaptureScreenshot()
    13.     {
    14.         var assetsPath = Application.dataPath;//project-path/assets
    15.         var filePath = assetsPath.Substring(0, assetsPath.Length-7) + "/Screenshots/"; //project-path/screenshots/
    16.         if(!System.IO.Directory.Exists(filePath))//create directory for the screenshots if it's not present
    17.         {
    18.             System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(filePath);
    19.         }
    20.         var fileName = "Screenshot_";
    21.         var fileExt = ".png";
    22.         int i = 1;
    23.         var fullFileName = filePath + fileName + i.ToString() + fileExt;
    24.         while (System.IO.File.Exists(fullFileName))//find a unique index for a screenshot name
    25.         {
    26.             i++;
    27.             fullFileName = filePath + fileName + i.ToString() + fileExt;
    28.         }
    30.         Application.CaptureScreenshot(fullFileName);
    31.         Debug.Log("Screenshot saved to " + fullFileName + "\n");
    32.     }
    Couple of thoughts:
    • variable filePath should be initialized one time and not on creation of every screenshot ( but this is the editor-only script, so whatever).
    • instead of adding unique index to the file name, it could be more usefull to add time stamp with System.DateTime.Now

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  7. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

I challenged myself to refactor 20 player's mechs for 48 hours. Right now 3 mechs are ready, 17 to go. 40 hours remains:) Mech1_Refactored.gif Mech2_Refactored.gif Mech3_Refactored.gif

8. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Couple of new mechs QuadMechs_Square_small.jpg

manpower13 likes this.
  9. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Yet another cutscene for the game:

Samuel411 likes this.
  10. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

New humanoid mech for the game

OrangeRobot.gif

MethodByMadness and manpower13 like this.
  11. MethodByMadness

MethodByMadness

Looking good :)

AndreiKubyshkin likes this.
  12. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Thanks! Here's another one
    blueRobot.gif

13. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Added 16 new mechs in the game. Which one is your favorite? ;)
    NewMechs.gif

14. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Made backgrounds more colorfull and added some abstract objects to them:

Screenshot_63.png Screenshot_5.png Screenshot_40.png Screenshot_55.png

Billy4184 and RavenOfCode like this.
  15. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

I wrote a simple maxscript tool to help me unwrap models.

Most of the models in the game are not affected by any lighting, and that "flat shaded" effect is simulated by texture. The texture is just a palette of 256 colors and each poly is unwrapped to a certain color. I got tired grabbing uv's by hand and made this simple tool to simplify the process.

I don't mind to share, so if someone needs it, just let me know.

RavenOfCode and rrahim like this.
  16. rrahim

rrahim

Looking good so far.
    That unwrapping tool looks really cool!

17. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

I've been told to use vertex colors instead of such mapping. And to be honest, if you have such simple graphics, you should probably consider that. In my case there're too many models done already, so I'll continue with texture maps but will consider using vertex colors in my future projects from the beginning.

PhilippG likes this.
  18. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

New gameplay video with new weapons, mechs and enhanced visuals:

19. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

New mech selector screen now adjust it's background to fit the color of the selected mech

Garage_Small.gif

RavenOfCode and rrahim like this.
  20. rrahim

rrahim

Select screen looks awesome!
    well done.

21. PhilippG

PhilippG

I wonder how the game would look and feel if youd change the colorscheme to a black and whitish one with only little hints of color (like some red in the UI, or faction logos on the mechs or so) and adding some "dirt" to it. You basically had two different games

(Edit, I'm following this WH40K fanwork and it gives me the chills)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    andy_cpr and AndreiKubyshkin like this.
  22. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

The video is looking great but I believe that black and white style fits something serious more. My game is humorous arcade, I think that bright colors is way to go.

PhilippG likes this.
  23. PhilippG

PhilippG

Totally agree, I was just thinking loud ;)

24. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Hey Guys!

Currently there're 4 game modes in the game:
    • Arena - player alone in deathmatch against waves of enemies
    • Capture The Flag - self explanatory I guess
    • Control Points - you have to capture all control points on a map in the right order
    • Bomb Delivery ( attack and deffense) - deliver the bomb to the enemy's base or don't let them deliver it to your base
    right now I have 60 playable levels and out of ideas what to do next. I feel that the game have to propose more to player but it should be something new.

Does anyone has an idea of new game mode I could implement ?

I would be very grateful for any suggestions ;)

25. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Meanwhile I continue to work on making more pieces of equipment for mechs MechItems1.png MechItems2.png MechItems4.png

Attached Files:

26. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

But the most exciting news is probably that we finally have online multiplayer. Here's the first wip footage:

27. Serinx

Serinx

Nice job, this looks like a lot of fun and the character designs look great!

Something that bothers me is the lack of a crosshair for aiming, although I don't really know how aiming works haha. Will it be controlled by mouse/keyboard for PC or targetted at controllers? It might be personal preference but I think a crosshair would feel nice.

I feel like the character designs are on a different level compared with the environment. Are they using a different shader? It's hard to make out the edges of the walls etc which I find quite distracting. e.g. around 0:42 in your latest video, the red wall kind of blends together. Maybe it's just too bright, I dunno but something about it bothers me.

I kind of agree here, but mainly for the background. In your original post you have an image of 2 mechs against a white background and this really grabbed my attention. However in game, up against all the other bright colours in the background, the mechs don't stand out so well and don't have that same effect.

These are just my opinions anyway. Keep up the good work!

Edit: One more thing! It would be cool if when the mechs "died", their limbs/attachments broke apart instead of disappearing. But I understand if you're trying to keep the physics to a minimum for mobile.

28. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Thank you for the feedback, it is very useful and highly appreciated!

The game support two types of controls for pc, mouse/keyboard and gamepad. I mostly test it on gamepad though. Thanks for the crosshair idea, will put it onto my tasks list.

Pretty much all models in the game use the same shader, which is just a flat color. Grounds also recieve shadows, all other models don't. Mechs models have more details than the environment models does. I'm "gameplay-first" type of guy and visual design is not my strongest point. Once I'll have the gameplay put together I'll probably will have to return and work on the environments.

I do have raggdols for dying enemies in the single player. Looks like this:

This kind of effect is definitely planned for all player mechs as well. Will need to test how it affects performance on mobiles though, you're right.

Thanks again!

Serinx likes this.
  29. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

Looks cool. The gameplay. Ah I miss Twisted Metal so much. This remind me back.
    The art can be improve to make things easier differentiating between environment and player.
    You know MaxScript? Amazing! I would like to make some simple buttons but don't know how to write.
    Scale selected UV up / down 0.5 by pivot position (0.5, 0.5) and move UV up / down / left / right 0.25.
    Ya you guess it right. I'm making texture atlas manually. Can you teach me? Haha.:p

30. Serinx

Serinx

@AndreiKubyshkin Awesome, that death animation is exactly what I meant haha. Totally agree with visuals last, I do the same!

31. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Thanks for the comment!

I'm not hell of a teacher, sorry. But the max documentation is very straightforward, you shouldn't get lost. All I can suggest is that you'd use unwrap uvw modifier methods instead of trying to access to uv's via poly or mesh methods. Those last two have some limitations.

32. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

@AndreiKubyshkin I viewed MaxScript API documentation but still no clues.
    I tried to copy & paste some code from official but still return errors.
    Haha. You see. When it's about programming. I'm totally stupid.:p
    Maybe I will go find some YouTube practical video tutorial then.
    Ya I always use Unwrap UVW modifier to unwrap UV since 7 years ago.:)

33. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

I don't mean the modifier itself. I mean when you'll make your script, I suggest you to make ui manipulations via unwrap uvw modifier scripting.

34. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

New progress on multiplayer!

all 24 weapons is working now, and also jump jets, boosters, melee weapons, damage boosters. Working on adding everything else that is in single player mode

35. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Strange things happens today in Armored Squad

36. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

New mortar equipment is now available in multiplayer mode:

37. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Still working on a deathmatch. Added: homing missiles, force and healing fields generators, ragdolls for all playable mechs, frag notifications.

I know this kind of updates seems like not a big deal, but I work really hard adding all that stuff. The thing is this I rebuild all prefabs from scratch and not using any single-player code at all. Basically all the code for multiplayer is new. I don't want to touch anything in single player while it works:)

Strange approach probably but I had some bad experience with my previous game. I trusted various UNET videos where they were promising that turning a single player game into multiplayer one is fun and easy. I spent a month of work and became in a hell of everything breaking here and there in both modes. So I decided to revert changes and stay with single player only. My players felt themselves fooled. Won't do things like that again.

38. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Ok, sentry guns are working now:

39. jacagugle

jacagugle

Great game! I get here through your post's signature, and I'm happy I did. Game looks very plabable, I'm really waiting for a realease to check it.

40. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Thank you very much!

I haven't posted updates for some time. Game became much better since then. Now we have all team modes in multiplayer, and I also started to replace old environmental objects. Will post updated screenshots / videos asap.

41. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

The short video that is showing current progress on multiplayer gameplay:

For those who interested here's the uncut 3 minutes long video of us playtesting the new CTF map. Enjoy:D

42. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

New video of us playtesting the Bomb Delivery game mode in multiplayer:

43. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

I decided to abandon top-down camera support and it allowed me to make more interesting levels for the game.

Today I have two video to show. One is where we're playing, and another where I'm making a level for the game. Hope it can be interesting for someone ;)

Thanks for watching!