Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ARCHIMATIX PRO Node-based Parametric Modeling for Unity [Unity Awards Finalist]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by roryo, Jun 4, 2015.

1. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

An .svg tool will work out very nicely for my needs, excellent!

dnoparker likes this.
  2. roryo

roryo

Robot Kyle is happy to have a new sun screen canopy, though he can't quite decide on its shape.
    ClipGrid.gif

Archimatix 2017-06-01_10-30-01_AM.jpg

This is a grid of lines clipped in a ShapeMerger and then fed into a PlanSweep with an I-Beam section. The FreeCurve is not only the clipping shape for the grid of open lines, but it is also the bounding shape for the GridRepeater of columns and the Extrude for the glass plane. Edits to the FreeCurve ripple through all of the parts.

Archimatix 2017-06-01_09-01-15_AM.jpg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  3. shikhrr

shikhrr

Hi @roryo

Do you have any plans for making Archimatix a separate application outside of unity?

pixelsteam likes this.
  4. roryo

roryo

Hi @shikhrr - no plans for a stand-alone app at the moment. AX is very native to Unity, so, on the one hand, it is very tuned to the Unity environment (very fast and using familiar GUI) and allows for rapid play testing of designs right in the editor. On the other hand, it relies heavily on Unity's GUI, event system, scene handles, etc., so it would be a lot of work to wrap in a stand-alone app. Perhaps someday!

5. dnoparker

dnoparker

How well do the AX models run on mobile platforms?

6. roryo

roryo

The static models that AX creates run as well as any other model imported from a 3rd party modeling application. The performance is based solely on the triangles, which can be modified by adjusting the segmentation of generator shapes or the overall Detail Level of the model.

Archimatix 2017-02-08_06-49-57_AM.jpg

Runtime AX has not been tested on mobile devices yet. Its lightning fast on the desktop and in ad hoc tests of an early version of AX runtime a couple of years ago, it ran smoothly on iOS. But the codebase is bigger now and so it will be interesting to see what the runtime memory footprint/cpu dynamics will be on mobile and VR. Sorry I don't have anything more concrete on this front yet!

Teila likes this.
  7. MMatt

MMatt

I'm just waiting for the runtime feature to make my buy!
    Give us some runtime teaser! :D

Teila likes this.
  8. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Looks great.

Is this SVG to Turtle one way conversion is there a round-trip capability?

9. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

I suppose I could also do turtle to svg as well if there was some interest in that. wouldn't be terribly hard, though there are several turtle commands without direct svg counterparts, including conditionals.

10. DevMember

DevMember

Hiii@ devs and roryo *_*
    I have found/ read an article about your asset, on 80.lv *-*
    A great place for news, tuts, and techniques in game development.
    I want to let you and forum members inform about that ;-)

Here is the link to the article:
    https://80.lv/articles/archimatix-parametric-modeling-extension-for-unity/

Great work.
    Very interesting to follow your thread.
    Greets DevMember

11. roryo

roryo

Hi @MMatt - The first version of runtime is due in the next couple weeks. I just have to finish the documentation.

I have started a preview page to describe how it works. You will still rig up the smarts of a model in the node graph editor, but then hand control over the model to your players to let them conjure up variations that you hadn't dreamed of! I am working on a couple of demo scenes now.

12. roryo

roryo

Hi @DevMember - thanks for the heads up. I had noticed a big uptick in traffic to the trailer video and the asset store page!

DevMember likes this.
  13. Tommy-Core

Tommy-Core

@RuinsOfFeyrin Sometimes I tend to be a bit clumsy... Yes, it's there. Thanks. And great work on the SVG->TurtleScript Tool. Looks amazing so far.

14. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Round-trip would be great. If it uses turtle commands that do not have direct SVG counterparts then just have it put up a messages saying something like "turtle graphic use commands not directly supported in SVG".

15. Teila

Teila

In the words of my daughters, OMG, this is fabulous!! So looking forward to working with this.

punk and roryo like this.
  16. roryo

roryo

Thanks, @Teila! I am having fun working on the demo scenes this week. :)

punk and Teila like this.
  17. GibletsofJesus

GibletsofJesus

Really excited to see the run-time feature for this, already such a fantastic asset.

I'm curious what kind of impact the run time version of this might have on performance, would it be viable to run on mobile or is this a strictly PC focused asset?

18. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

This is a big question lately, and the answer seems to be that the current incarnation of Archimatix has not been tested for performance on mobile yet, however an early incarnation of was tested on mobile as was according to @roryo "lightning fast".

19. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Hey Folks,

So I just wanted to let you all know the first of several of my node packs for Archimatix is now available (finally) on Unity's asset store.

It my Shape Logic Node's pack, here is a link to the forum post about it on the unity forums.

When you have moment check it out, especially those of you who are really interested in runtime stuff as it opens up some good possibilities for creating even more dynamic models.

And for those of you who like pretty pictures.

ShapeList_Header.png

Hope you all like it.

Attached Files:

20. roryo

roryo

Thanks to Archimatix Runtime, players can beef up the GrayShips thrusters!

GrayShipDesignerA.gif

Here the GrayShip engines are being modified in WebGL runtime. Won't be long before you can stamp out an entire fleet - almost there!

21. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Heya Folks,

Just a simple little video I made of a simple little graph using a few of the Shape Logic nodes I released.

But if its such a simple video... why post it? Good question.. you should watch and find out. Its worth the watch I think.

mensch-mueller and DevMember like this.
  22. roryo

roryo

Almost done with the first Runtime AX demo. Of course there have been bugs to fix along the way... not the least of which was a runtime memory leak! :)

Archimatix 2017-06-08_08-31-35_PM.jpg

Will post this to the web ASAP!

23. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Hey Everyone,

Here is another nice little playable demo showing off the use of a basic shape list, shape list selector, and shape selector nodes I have released, and some run time goodness.
    This demo features a custom "in game" UI and allows the "player" to walk around and view the changes they have made.

AX_Thread_demo.png

You can "play" the demo at http://axresources.com/AXShapeLogicDemo/index.php

Let me know what you all think.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    DasBiot, Teila and roryo like this.
  24. phoenixian

phoenixian

Release/AXShapeLogicDemo.mem Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)

25. phoenixian

phoenixian

works now

26. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Oh good, how did you like it?

27. Teila

Teila

This is VERY COOL! Sorry for the caps, but I am excited! My head is spinning with ideas for the players. :) Thank you for sharing.

28. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Wow, it has been MUCH too long since I've worked with Archimatix and checked this thread. Been a bit busy with the basic set up of my game :) I return to amazing news! I'm very much looking forward to the runtime, @roryo ! That will give so many amazing possibilities in my MMORPG :D Thanks again for an amazing program!

Teila and roryo like this.
  29. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

@roryo Sorry for double posting.... But... I couldn't seem to find it with Thread search: Do you remember if I asked it would be possible to have organic things as a base to form, like trees (tree as a house and such)? Is that still something that will become available at some point in the future? Or isn't that fit for AX?
    And things like sailing Ships? I remember you said that was perhaps something for the future as well, as it would bring a lot of additional work with it. (I have been out of AX for way too long!!!! Sorry about that!)

On a side note: I know you wrote any prefab can be imported and adjusted. I have been looking at the Medieval Environment Series which has several buildings in which you can walk with lots of separate prefabs. Do you think that asset is suitable for import and adjustment in AX as well?

Thanks again for everything!

30. roryo

roryo

HI @Sheriziya - nice to see you again! Hope all is well and that you are having fun with your game development.

FreeCurve certainly helps with organic forms. In the future there will be other nodes to help generate more organic forms, including deformers and lofters (which will help with sailing ship hulls).

For 3rd-party prefabs, you can use the PrefabInstancer node, which let any 3rd-party asset be used in the node graph.

31. Teila

Teila

As my teenage daughter says..."Wait, What??"

I need to learn more about this...

32. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Nice! Almost afraid to ask (knowing you, you've already got a LOT on your plate :) ) but... do you happen to have an estimate on when that will implemented? Curious minds.....

Perfect! That surely helps a lot!

I'm certainly having fun! I've been playing around with SpatialOS, which is a very powerful cloud server system. I'm now in the process of building my own very first prototype. Loads of things to figure out (you think you've got it all when you've written your GDD and then BAAS system and SpatialOS happen :D ), but it's going to be fun!

I so agree!

Teila likes this.
  33. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

@roryo Will we be able to not only include costs, but also material (like how many stones/ iron plates/etc) are needed for the final result? I think this would be ideal for potential future shop owners, customers and crafters alike in my game.

This is so promising!

34. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Hey Sheriziya,

I could be wrong but, while the greyShip demo is showing off run-time capabilities, and rory has went the extra step to show people they can do with run time I don't think this sort of functionality will be built in itself out of the box, though im not rory so i could be wrong.

So while you certainly will be able to make changing parts cost money, and require other materials (like stone wood etc), I don't think I would expect to see this kinda of functionality incorporated directly in to AX as each person will have their own "way" and "things" they want to do it would be hard to make a system that wasn't bloated, and fit what everyone would like.

Runtime however will provide the means and tools however for individuals to achieve these things on their own.

Again, I'm not rory, so don't take this as gospel, just a very very educated guess.

Teila and KingfisherWyvernStudio like this.
  35. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Oh, I suspect it won't be immediately installed :) Just wondering what the capabilities will be :) It would be fun if we could define some parameters for calculation or something. :D

We'll see what Rory comes up with. I know he's surprised us regularly :D

Thanks for your answer though!

36. habsi70

habsi70

Hi,
    is there a way to get the dimensions of the bounds of a free curve? I created the metal sides by extruding a free curve and would like to be able to set the width of the wooden shelves depending on the width of the curve. Thank you!

metal-sides.PNG shelve.PNG

37. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Hi, this usually requires to write some turtle-script. Only with the help of this easy language, you access the real strength of Archimatix.
    Beginner Tutorial is at: http://www.archimatix.com/manual/advanced-archimatix-creating-custom-parametric-shapes
    Documentation for this is at: http://www.archimatix.com/manual/archimatix-turtle-script-api

With the help of this scripting you can acchieve something like this (pretty easy!):
    profile.jpg

Put the profile in your Archimatix Library folder!

Cheers Michael

Attached Files:

38. habsi70

habsi70

MenschMüller,

danke, thank you!

39. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Yes, @roryo can you show an example of this....

40. roryo

roryo

At some point I will add width and height output parameters to FreeCurve that get updated automatically as you edit the points.

@mensch-mueller - thanks for posting the Shape!

41. roryo

roryo

@pixelsteam - there is an example of repeating statues with the PrefabInstancer here: #1221 and here #1239

phdornheim likes this.
  42. dnoparker

dnoparker

What is the best resource for learning turtle script? At the moment I would only buy this if I can break the bezier handles.

I know that turtle scripts are better in almost every way, but not all your customers are going to be programmatically minded like yourself.
    Having those handles snap would allow simpletons like me be able to create marvellous buildings.

43. roryo

roryo

Hi @dnoparker - breaks in the Bezier handles should be available in version 1.0.6 due in a couple weeks. I'm just getting ready to release 1.0.5 with runtime.

44. roryo

roryo

The first version of the SpaceshipShop is ready to play with! It is a WebGL demo. Let me know if anyone would like a Mac or PC version. :)

Archimatix 2017-06-21_12-05-35_PM2.jpg

In the demo, start by naming your ship and then click on various tabs to alter the ships parameters. As you vary the parameters, you can see how the overall specs of the ship change, including its price.

http://www.demos.archimatix.com/SpaceshipShop/

SpaceshipShop2m.gif

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  45. Hitch42

Hitch42

Impressive demo. I'm getting these odd white spots on the hull, which move as I adjust it. The other elements seem fine. This is on the latest version of Chrome. I'm not sure if this is something you have nay control over.

46. roryo

roryo

Hi @Hitch42 - thanks. I am wondering if this is from the Bloom effect in Unity. Could you try this version where I have deactivated the Bloom?

http://www.demos.archimatix.com/SpaceshipShop2/

DasBiot likes this.
  47. Hitch42

Hitch42

The new version seems fine, but I'm also testing the older version again (after having reset my PC) and I don't see the bloom on that one now. Weird.

48. roryo

roryo

Thanks - I switched the original URL so that now it is serving up the newer build as well. Perhaps it is graphics card thing?
    I'm glad its working now. :)

49. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

I had the same problem with another build and I was able to isolate it to the Unity Post Stack Bloom.

50. awesomedata

awesomedata

@roryo

The demo looks really nice. Great job so far man!

I have one question now that runtime and nice handles are now functional:

Have you had a chance to make multi-story editing handles/controls/etc. more manageable? Mainly I'm speaking of making the floorplan you're currently editing match the current story/level you've selected.

I know some handles you'd want to stay flattened at the base of the 3d shape, but you should have at least an option on how you'd like to work with them to help visualize the floorplans of each floor more clearly, and gain the ability to pass these floorplan displays on to your players if you like.

Here's how I was thinking--

Rather than keep handles/edit-previews outlines on base level as usual, display them relative to an automaticly incrementing variable inside the repeater (the grouper's base index or another manually defined/managed variable -- for example, if I have a single floor building with a roof, wall/windows/floor, and a foundation, the base index would be 1, since the actual floors/windows are one level above the foundation, with the roof a level above even that, and the display of the floor/window portion's outline would appear relative to its vertical offset from the foundation for each instance of its repetition so that it can be easily visualized the floorplan of each floor of the building). This could also be calculated individually by manually setting where the display should appear inside the grouper manually, or whether it's relative to some other node or variable.

Nested groupers can choose to inherit from parent or child groupers and have their base index and vertical offsets individually inherit, add to, or override their parent or child bases.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017