Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ARCHIMATIX PRO Node-based Parametric Modeling for Unity [Unity Awards Finalist]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by roryo, Jun 4, 2015.

1. roryo

roryo

We are going to need a few medieval Library items to ship with the first release of Archimatix. Voila_Capture 2016-12-02_12-09-32_AM.jpg

The stucco and the fieldstone materials are new to Archimatix! ;)

2. roryo

roryo

Just to get my day started, I distributed this medieval structure over a terrain with GridRepeater and Jitter. The GridRepeater can take a terrain as input and uses it to set the Y-locations. The roofs need some work, not to mention the landscape! Need to fire up Gaia for final artwork. ;)

Voila_Capture 2016-12-02_09-58-47_AM.jpg

3. sarum

sarum

couldn't resist .. sorry :p

Voila_Capture 2016-12-02_09-58-47_AM4for.jpg

Haseeb_BSAA and roryo like this.
  4. roryo

roryo

Having not made textures in a long time, I am having fun creating some for the AX Library. Here is a rough-hewn wood:

Voila_Capture 2016-12-02_07-41-30_PM.jpg Voila_Capture 2016-12-02_07-47-28_PM.jpg

Voila_Capture 2016-12-02_09-12-45_PM.jpg Voila_Capture 2016-12-02_09-14-44_PM.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  5. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

I don't think people are interested in this asset for the textures. If you asked people if they value textures or an earlier release. I would bet that an earlier release would win every time.

Sabathius and roryo like this.
  6. roryo

roryo

@StaffanEk, I think you are right. As I am in the throes of creating documentation and demo scenes, I realize I can't ship 3rd-party textures with the package, so I do need 4 or 5 basic originals to use with examples. But I am glad you said something, since you have air-lifted me out of a rabbit's hole of indulgent texture production that I was starting to slip into!

Xepherys, pixelsteam and wetcircuit like this.
  7. Xepherys

Xepherys

I'm curious if the runtime objects would work with a node-based level creator - in particular if I could point to semi-defined sets in Dungeon Arhitect, which would drop sections as nodes. It would be interesting if the meshes could join or interact as they are placed using this asset.

8. roryo

roryo

Hi @Xepherys. I am not sure I understand - do you mean have Dungeon Architect size Archimatix objects on the fly to fit within its grid?

You can certainly save Archimatix objects as standard Unity Prefabs (at which point they are "frozen" instances), and then use those Prefabs in Dungeon Architect as you would any other Prefab.

9. Xepherys

Xepherys

Maybe I'm not completely understanding how Archimatix works at runtime. I had the impression that it would mold areas from a combination of components that were properly wired to combine to one another (or something along those lines). If so, I was thinking that Dungeon Architect could layout an area of static objects, and in some areas, say a special room, could lay down prefabs that Archimatix would, in turn, blend together into smooth room/building objects (so long as THOSE prefabs contained appropriate mesh data and such).

10. roryo

roryo

Archimatix is, for the time being, an editor-only extension for modeling, though eventually it will have a runtime API. As a modeler, Archimatix generates meshes based on logic and parameters that are defined and related in Archimatix node graph. While it can distribute prefabs in space, Archimatix cannot currently operate on external meshes to blend or deform them (though this could be possible down the road), but only on the meshes that it generates.

neoshaman and Xepherys like this.
  11. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

To try to answer more specifically (and I am not the developer, obviously, so I can't say for the future), Dungeon Architect uses prefabs laid out on a grid, and Archimatix is *very* good at stamping out variations of prefabs.... One of the betatesters said he used them together and loved how fast he could build out those variations for DA to use.

But I think what you are asking, is would you be able to do the amazing shape-merge thing that Archimatix does, and the answer (at least for now) is no. That dynamic shape-merging trick is internal within an individual AX object – although as you see in Roryo's examples those individual AX objects can be very sophisticated (even to the point they can look like game level mazes or complete buildings)…. The goal is to expose some of the parameters of the individual AX models so they can be altered with code dynamically at runtime, for example adding extra floors so a building "grows", or changing the length of a bridge while keeping the supports evenly spaced, when making a building larger it fills in the extra windows, etc…. But (afaik) you can't "merge" the shapes of two separate AX models.

That said, Dungeon Architect is already creating continuous-looking corridors and large rooms with prefab tiles, so in a cosmetic way it looks like it's all one structure…. Presumably, AX's ability to be dynamic could eventually be used to alter the models at runtime…. We're talking about making AX prefabs with their own built-in "intelligence" that can be fed control variables…. Whether it alters the size of the floor or extends a balcony, hides a rail when it knows it's touching another prefab so they appear to connect, etc.

As a really basic example, I stamped out some dungeon walls where I changed the number of sides to a cutout window. It's just one parameter within my AX model, so if I controlled that within my game logic I could have a kind of dynamic prefab that might alter itself due to whatever rules I could come up with….

Circle.jpg Diamond.jpg Triangle.jpg

neoshaman, roryo and Xepherys like this.
  12. Xepherys

Xepherys

@wetcircuit - thank you for that explanation. Both tools seem quite powerful, and finding interesting ways to combine them seems like you could create some seriously awesome levels with ease. I'm keeping an eye on Archimatix for sure.

wetcircuit and roryo like this.
  13. Hakazaba

Hakazaba

Will we be able to use substances with Archimatix?

14. roryo

roryo

Hi @Hakazaba - yes! Archimatix generates standard Unity meshes with uv, uv2, normals and tangents. The only caveat is that, at the moment, the inspector for a Material node is not currently exposing the parameters of the Substance attached to it until after the model is stamped, or "frozen", but that should be a trivial to add to the Material node.

At some point I would like to make a stronger connection between AX parameters and Substance parameters. For example, you could make a relation between the length of a couch cushion as an AX parameter and the frequency of leather seams in the Substance that it uses as a material.

Xepherys likes this.
  15. roryo

roryo

And the end of another long, crazy day of prepping Archimatix for release, Robot Kyle contemplates whether the package could have shipped without the Petroglyph Sandstone texture...
    Voila_Capture 2016-12-04_09-33-19_PM.jpg Voila_Capture 2016-12-04_09-34-03_PM.jpg Voila_Capture 2016-12-04_09-50-11_PM.jpg Voila_Capture 2016-12-04_09-51-08_PM.jpg

I know, I know.... back to work me!!!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    antoripa, Whippets, Hikiko66 and 2 others like this.
  16. roryo

roryo

Working on the Node Graph Editor Pages for the Quick Start Guide today!
    Archimatix 2016-12-05_09-32-16_AM.jpg
    Archimatix 2016-12-05_09-27-40_AM.jpg
    Archimatix 2016-12-05_09-27-59_AM.jpg

17. roryo

roryo

Just to assure you guys that I am not still working on textures:

Voila_Capture 2016-12-05_03-42-58_PM2.jpg Voila_Capture 2016-12-05_03-43-19_PM.jpg

18. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

My node palete is very dry...waiting for the frothy splash and quench of Archimatix XI.

roryo likes this.
  19. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

mmmmmm..... nodes.... must have nodes.....
    Must kill robot kyle.... hes hoarding the nodes....

20. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Nooooo!!!! It was an accident... I didn't mean it robot kyle.... please dont die!! I didn't mean to push you off the top of one of your beautiful node based parametric pieces of architecture... i just wanted some nodes.. and you had them all.... why couldn't you just share... it didn't have to be like this!!!

roryo likes this.
  21. roryo

roryo

pixelsteam and Whippets like this.
  22. roryo

roryo

With the holidays looming and the docs that still need to be done, I think we are looking at a first week of January submission to the Asset Store. :rolleyes:

In the meantime, here's some more bacon: a demo scene to ship with AX.
    Voila_Capture 2016-12-15_12-35-19_AM.jpg

neoshaman, pixelsteam and Hikiko66 like this.
  23. roryo

roryo

Robot Kyle is please to have his on manual pages!

Voila_Capture 2016-12-15_02-20-40_PM.jpg Voila_Capture 2016-12-15_02-37-16_PM.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    wetcircuit, pixelsteam and Xepherys like this.
  24. neoshaman

neoshaman

That's how the kyle become the unit measure in this universe. That wall over there is easily 10 kyles high.

25. elbows

elbows

Kyle-o-meters boom tish ;)

Xepherys likes this.
  26. mons00n

mons00n

Any word on submission status @roryo ? =)

imaginationrabbit likes this.
  27. roryo

roryo

Thanks, @mons00n - this holiday week has actually been really productive with regards to polishing and debugging.
    In the first two weeks of the new year, I will complete the QuickStart Guide and redo the tutorial videos to match the current state of the system. And then, I will submit Archimatix to the AssetStore!

28. roryo

roryo

AX is looking pretty solid. Having fun making demo videos for the release!

Voila_Capture 2017-01-03_06-36-53_PM.jpg Voila_Capture 2017-01-03_06-38-28_PM.jpg Voila_Capture 2017-01-03_06-38-46_PM.jpg Voila_Capture 2017-01-03_06-55-22_PM.jpg

29. corjn

corjn

Hey Roryo ! Do you think your asset will be available on the asset store before the global game jam next week ? Archimatix would really be an awesome tool to work with for this kind of contest :) (easy, quick and looking great)

30. roryo

roryo

Hi, @corjn - Unfortunately, AX won't be out by global game jam. I have a another week or so of documentation work to do, with the goal of submitting to the asset store next Friday. It will take a week or two after that to be approved.

pixelsteam likes this.
  31. MrIconic

MrIconic

I wonder if we can email them to expedite that approval process. :oops:

pixelsteam, Xepherys and roryo like this.
  32. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Let me get right onto that...

33. antoripa

antoripa

Hi @roryo ,
    I see really nice concepts in your new asset.
    I look forward to playing with that ...

roryo likes this.
  34. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Can't wait to buy this :) it looks amazing- I haven't done much node based modeling outside of Cinema4d/Mograph so I hope I can grasp it.

Xepherys likes this.
  35. roryo

roryo

Thanks, @antoripa!

antoripa likes this.
  36. roryo

roryo

Thanks, @mdotstrange! I will look forward to any comparisons you might offer with C4D. I haven't used C4D in a few years, but really loved it. It had non-destructive editing, but the parametrics (back then) were only in the scene hierarchy as opposed to a true graph structure. I should take at it again!

imaginationrabbit likes this.
  37. roryo

roryo

The Quick Start Guide is nearing completion at about 65 pages! Here is the latest tutorial video. It has been fun to make; getting back into video editing for the first time in a while :)

38. Xepherys

Xepherys

What's your expected price on the Asset Store?

39. antoripa

antoripa

I am developing a procedural asset for terrain routing and I use a similar approach, but with a smaller scope, to create road meshes .. I really like that.. very intuitive and logical ...I gonna buy as soon as asset is live ...
    Btw ... does it work even with API ?

roryo likes this.
  40. roryo

roryo

Hi @Xepherys - if all goes according to plan, Archimatix should show up in the asset store in about 3 weeks for $145.

Xepherys, wetcircuit and pixelsteam like this.
  41. roryo

roryo

Thanks, @antoripa! I just checked out your thread for sentieri - looks awesome!

Archimatix will ship with full source, so you can call any of the functions you find. After the first release, I will work on an api doc with some examples. I also want to add a way for the user to easily promote a parameter from subnodes to the model so it is easy for runtime code to access them. For example, once you have a reference to the AX model, you could alter the parameter with

axmodel_01.buildingLength = 200;
    axmodel_01.autobuild();

Also, you will be able to extend node classes. For example, if you wanted to make a deformer node, you could extend the node class and add your mesh modification code and that new node will play well in the node graph with the others. I posted an example of this here.

Right now, even pretty complex AX models can be regenerated at a good frame rate.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Xepherys, pixelsteam and antoripa like this.
  42. antoripa

antoripa

That's excellent ... sending you a PM

pixelsteam likes this.
  43. roryo

roryo

Robot Kyle is not always comfortable in the role of Harbor Master, but even he has to admit that having the ability to walk on water adds some value...

Archimatix 2017-01-16_06-33-01_PM.jpg Archimatix 2017-01-16_06-32-01_PM.jpg Archimatix 2017-01-16_06-31-36_PM.jpg Archimatix 2017-01-16_06-31-25_PM.jpg Archimatix 2017-01-16_06-29-43_PM.jpg

Making a tutorial video today that highlights the nodes Plan Sweep, PlanRepeater2D,and PlanRepeater.

mons00n and wetcircuit like this.
  44. roryo

roryo

Despite the fact that I swore off new node production until after the release of Archimatix, I went ahead and created PlanRepeater2D to help with castle construction. Fortunately, it only took a couple hours away from documentation time ;)

Archimatix 2017-01-16_10-18-33_AM.jpg Archimatix 2017-01-16_03-08-43_PM.jpg

45. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  46. roryo

roryo

Hi @pixelsteam - yes the water in the harbor scene is WaterProDaytime from StandardAssets/Environment/Water.

The mountains are Quantum Theory's Desert Terrain Pack.

pixelsteam likes this.
  47. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

This looks awesome! I really hope I'll be able to understand how to use it- may your tutorials be plentiful and easy to follow :)

roryo, Xepherys and pixelsteam like this.
  48. roryo

roryo

Thanks, @mdotstrange! Did you take a look at the GrayShip tutorial video posted above? DO you think it seemed easy to follow? Would appreciate any feedback.

49. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Just checked it out- brilliant stuff! Yes, very well done tutorial- I can definitely understand that. :)

roryo and pixelsteam like this.
  50. roryo

roryo

Thanks, @mdotstrange! There will be several videos like that ;)

pixelsteam likes this.