Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Apps Won't Run on Windows 8.1 [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Windows' started by RobotGizmo, Oct 10, 2013.

1. RobotGizmo

RobotGizmo

I'm running Windows 8.1 (RTM) with Unity Pro 4.2, and I can't get any of my exported Windows 8 projects to run. When I do the build in Unity, it creates the Visual Studio solution. If I open that solution and try to run it (after switching to x86 target), I get these errors:

$1.png

$2.png

This is just an empty project with no plugins and just a cube in the middle of the screen. I can't get the exported Unity project to run in Windows 8.0 or 8.1. On a side note, this project runs great on Android, Windows Desktop and Windows Phone 8. Has anyone else run into this issue?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  2. tswalk

tswalk

3. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Are you using VS 2012?

4. kodmistrz

kodmistrz

I have the same error.

5. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Guys, please give more details, saying it doesn't work - doesn't help.

It works on our side.

6. RobotGizmo

RobotGizmo

I'm using VS2012 on Windows 8.1 with Unity Pro 4.2. I just create an empty Unity project, export it for Windows 8 (metro) and try to run the project in VS2012 and it fails with this error. If there's any other details you need please let me know.

7. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Try this, from VS 2012 menu, create a new project - Windows Store->XAML C++, and see if that works.

8. RobotGizmo

RobotGizmo

That works perfectly. I chose a blank Windows Store XAML C++ project and I can run the project just by hitting F5 in VS2012.

9. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Hmph, weird... Okay can you say, if your Windows name has 'N' letter in it.

Also, try enabling exception in Debug->Exceptions, and see if you hit something.

10. RobotGizmo

RobotGizmo

I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro, not the N version. The debug->exceptions thing doesn't hit anything because the app isn't even starting correctly. I've attached my Unity project to this reply, and I tried to attach my exported VS2012 project and the Windows Store package but they're apparently too big. I can send them to you using a different method if those would help too. Thanks!

Attached Files:

11. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Could you attach exported solution project minus Players folder

12. stephan7

stephan7

13. RobotGizmo

RobotGizmo

@Tomas1856: I've attached the exported project, let me know if you need anything else.

@stephan7: I've installed the 8.1 SDK like you suggested but I'm still getting the same errors. Do I need to force Unity or VS2012 to reference it somehow?

Attached Files:

14. stephan7

stephan7

Tried to make a quick test with your 'WindowsStoreProject.zip' and copied the 'Players' folder from my project over into your project.
    But it seems I have a version: 4.2.2f1 installed and your version is 4.2.1f4 - so I can't start it.

I try to make a quick test with your UnityProject.zip...

15. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Well everything seems to be okay with your project. Honestly I have no clue what's wrong....

Here's another thing you might want to try, could specify what VS 2012 version you're using, check it in Help->About.

Just in case, try to apply Update 3 patch - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2835600

16. stephan7

stephan7

The empty projects shows a blue background - like expected. Sometimes if deployment fails it's a good idea to uninstall the previously installed app.

To do so:
    - open Search in Win8 (<Windows> + <q>
    - type in your app name (e.g. EmptyProject)
    - right click on it and choose 'Uninstall'
    - confirm

- retest it

No other ideas unfortunately.

Stephan
    --
    http://www.software7.com

17. RobotGizmo

RobotGizmo

I've tried setting up another computer with a fresh install to give this a try. Here is what I did:
    - Install Windows 8.1 Pro (MSDN license, and activated it)
    - Install VS2012 and do all the updates (including Update 3)
    - Install Unity 4.2.2f1 (activate it with a 30-day Pro trial license)
    - Create a new Unity project with a cube in the middle of the viewport
    - Export to C# solution

This solution still won't run, and the exported apppackages don't run either. Am I missing something in the toolchain, or some setting in Windows here? This is on a fresh install of Windows 8.1 with all default settings, with only VS2012 and Unity installed.

18. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Probably it's something simple, but I don't see it yet.

Just to gather more information, could you attach report from dxdiag:
    * Hit Windows Key + R
    * dxdiag
    * Save All information
    * Attach produced file.

19. RobotGizmo

RobotGizmo

No problem, here is the information.

Attached Files:

20. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Seems okay...

Could you try creating a C++ project from Unity, for ex., XAML C++, and launch that. This is another hunch, but maybe you're missing somekind of dependency on your system, which Unity use.

Sorry that it takes so long :)

21. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Here's another idea if it's really a dependency problem - download http://www.dependencywalker.com/ drag and drop UnityPlayer.dll which is located in x86\release folder.

And see if there are any dlls which are not found

22. RobotGizmo

RobotGizmo

It's starting to seem like a dependency issue, but it must be related to Windows 8.1 RTM only. On a fresh install of Windows, what other dependencies would Unity need? I tried DependencyWalker and nothing is missing. I've installed all the c++ redist runtimes (2008, 2010, 2012, x86 and x64 for all). I've tried exporting as XAML and D3D with C# and C++. Have you tried using Unity with Windows 8.1 on your end, or just Windows 8.0?

23. stephan7

stephan7

I don't know whether this is helpful:
    The installation on 8.1 (the Preview version not the RTM!) showed a similar error.
    I had to install the 8.1 SDK (see link in my mail above) and the error went away.
    Since I installed it in a VMWare instance and I think I made a snapshot after the first try I can restore the snapshot and look at the exact error message when I'm in the office again tomorrow.

At least we can see, if it's exactly the same error.

24. RobotGizmo

RobotGizmo

I've tried installing the 8.0 and the 8.1 (preview) SDK's and it doesn't seem to help this error. :(

25. stephan7

stephan7

I restored my snapshot from before applying the 8.1 Preview SDK and tried to run a simple test project in Debug mode from VS 2012 Express Update 3.

After switching 'Debugger type:' to 'Mixed (Managed and Native' I got the following text in the output window:

$SDKPreview.png

Therefore I got the idea to try it with the 8.1 SDK and after applying the 8.1 SDK the Debugger worked like expected.

Since you already installed the 8.1 SDK this is presumably not helpful for you.

But two hints:
    - you get more information when you switch to 'Mixed (Managed and Native)'
    - and I also noted that when I rebuild the project as 'Release' it did run before applying the 8.1 SDK.

Stephan
    --
    http://www.software7.com

26. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Yes, our QA confirms that 4.2.2 is working for him on Windows 8.1, but he has also VS 2013 installed there, not sure if that matters.

27. RobotGizmo

RobotGizmo

I've just installed VS2013 (RC) and it works perfectly. I have no idea why VS2012 doesn't work, because I can create non-Unity apps using VS2012 in Windows 8.1 and they work perfectly. I would say this is case-closed though, we'll just wait for the RTM version of VS2013 and upgrade when it comes out. Thanks for all of your help, hopefully you can add VS2012 support so other people don't run into this issue too. :)

28. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Okay... that's pretty weird... Glad you have it resolved.

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

Even i am not able to run Unity. Whenever i try to run it shows errors (image emjbedded). And when a problem is solved another problem arises.
    I have tried almost everthing. Unistalled Unity then installed it from the setup i had, that didn't work. After this i again uninstalled Unity and deleted the setup, downloaded new one from unity.com even it doesn't work.
    I uninstalled all the Redistributables install on my PC and then downloaded new one even it doesn't work.

Any help?

Attached Files:

30. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

Windows 8.1 Enterprise. I downloaded Unity with the Unity Download Assistant from Unity.com.
    Unity version is 2018.2.6f1.
    I have 64 bit operating system and the Unity i have is also 64 bit.

32. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Did installing the package I linked work? Do you by any chance have Windows updates disabled? After researching a bit, I think this usually gets installed automatically through there.

33. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Update: those files seem to be there on a fresh Windows 8.1 installation:

upload_2018-9-10_17-26-49.png

Make sure that Windows is updated fully and it should start working. If it doesn't, try installing the package I linked.

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

I installed all the packages of the link but it didn't work. Should i downgrade back to Windows 7 Ultimate to be able to run Unity. As it worked fine on that OS

35. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Did you fully update Windows on WIndows Update?