Search Unity

APK File Size Increasing With Less Assets

Discussion in 'Android' started by bdgreen88, Mar 14, 2017.

1. bdgreen88

bdgreen88

Ok, so I am at a loss here. I have been working on a 3D Corn Maze game and trying to reduce the APK size. So I thought, lemmie copy the project and create two versions so I can learn what does and does not impact APK size and how much.

However I am at a total loss and am looking for answers. On my copy project, I deleted some art objects and FBXs from my scene (single scene for now) and the file size...Increased?? So I thought, well let me delete the assets in the asset folder even though Unity should strip unused assets from the build and there was only a small change (I think I deleted a used asset, lol)

Anyone have any idea why deleting some art from my scene increased my file size by almost 5MB? All the build settings are identical.

2. justindz

justindz

I just had something similar happen. I removed a bunch of sound files, image files and deprecated scripts. Although the sound files weren't in use (didn't have any references), and therefore were probably excluded from the .apk anyway, I thought at least removing a folder of scripts would cause the size to go down, instead of up by ~100k.

3. Zenix

Zenix

The build log file should tell you what's taking up space, and you can compare the logs before and after removing assets to see what's changed.

4. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Wooah! Now that is an unusual problem.
    Did you guys find out, what was causing it?
    I'm really curious to know.