Search Unity

anyone use iOS Project Builder for Windows

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by deiong, Mar 18, 2014.

1. deiong

deiong

does anyone use this? i would assume that since united accepted it into its asset store that they would have tested it at least once to prove it actually works. anyone use this? don't want to spend the $$ if it fails to work.

2. Agent_007

Agent_007

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  3. JFo

JFo

Is there some reason to downplay this tool? Have you tested it?
    I think it would be VERY nice to be able to do the iOS development in Windows...

There seems to be a free (test) version of the tools available in their web page,
    so I'll have to give it a try.

4. iddqd

iddqd

Well, it sounds amazing and apparently there's also a demo version: http://www.pmbaty.com/iosbuildenv/

I'm also wondering if it's possible to link non-standard frameworks.

5. Jeffo

Jeffo

Anyone have any luck with the demo?

This plugin sounds most interesting to me as well.

6. stefan1294

stefan1294

Did anyone test it so far?

7. abuki

abuki

I am using it and it works really nice. You have to build the iOS project and then use iOS project builder app to build (and even automatically deploy) ipa file.

8. grofie

grofie

We are using it also for about a month:

One of the greatest programs ever! Totally worth the money, great support and about really much much faster compiling than with xcode on a mac.

9. FoxUmkov

FoxUmkov

For successful build you still need MAC, program requires SDK for build that need to be copied from MAC.
    Also "deploy to device" crashes and doesn't work (

10. GaryMedina

GaryMedina

I purchased it recently and although I can't get it to work YET! The developer has been very responsive. It's a small package because you will need to carry over the SDK from a MAC. This is a one time deal and to protect this developer you will decide to do that not the program. I will update this as soon as I fix the error on windows 8.1.

11. SanSolo

SanSolo

I'm interested, but cannot find detailed instructions on how to use it. If it works, then it's worth buying.

12. schmosef

schmosef

Just want to put in my 2 cents to say that I bought this asset recently and it works really well.

I've used UCB for a long time but it's just very slow and my aged "early 2009" iMac is even slower.

With the OTA deployment feature, I can get a new build of my game running on an iPad in just a few minutes, instead of a few hours with UCB or my iMac.

Before I found this tool I was thinking I'd need to buy a new iMac or maybe build a Hackintosh.

No need for that now. This tool is awesome.

shaderop likes this.
  13. iddqd

iddqd

Indeed,. it's amazing.
    Unity should license and integrate this software.

schmosef likes this.
  14. broesby

broesby

Hi all,..

I just want to ask if I can use this tool avoiding to buy a Mac altogether? I have an Ipad and my daughter uses it extensiveliy ;) We are making a small game together and I want to deploy it to the Ipad mostly for fun... I can afford this program and the 99 USD to Apple for the Developer Account but I do not want to buy a Mac just for this...

I read that I need a Mac initially.... But would it be possible just to borrow my brothers Mac computer for this and then, when I have the setup right just use this...??? O r do I need to actually OWN the Mac that I use??

Jesper, Denmark

15. schmosef

schmosef

As long as you have occasional access to a Mac, you can use this asset. Your brother's Mac will be fine.

You need to use the Mac as part of the process for creating your p12 and mobileprovision files. Unity has a guide for doing that here: https://build.cloud.unity3d.com/support/guides/ios/

Then you need to use the Mac to run the script provided with this asset, which copies various SDK files to a USB stick.

Going forward, you only need access to the Mac when there is an XCode update (to recopy the files to USB) and when you renew your Apple dev account and need to recreate your p12 and mobileprovision files.

This asset has saved me many hours by letting my compile and deploy via my high end PC instead of my 2009 iMac or UCB.

I highly recommend it.

marserMD and iddqd like this.
  16. mikrima

mikrima

I am using this plugin all the time as well, and it's a true gem!
    Granted, the setup requires a little bit of focus, and access to a Mac (no, the tool does not include SDKs by the way).
    But I haven't touched my Mac since (literally) - except to wipe the dust off it's lid.

schmosef and iddqd like this.
  17. eco_bach

eco_bach

Anyone have any tips to speed up the build process? Find it EXTREMELY slow on Windows when targeting iOS.

18. eco_bach

eco_bach

Just want to add I am using this tool, support has been great. One problem I have been having though is the OTA deployment feature. I've disabled the firewall, but on my iPad Safari keeps timing out whenever I try and hit the published url that is generated.
    So I still take the generated .api and publish using another OTA service diawi.com.
    Works but still size limitations. Premium service will offer larger file sizes but AFAIK not available ..yet.

One thing I' need clarification on. If ANYBODY could provide feedback most appreciated.
    Other than OTA support, there is a manual install option using iTunes on Windows. But the documentation doesn't go into enough detail. Has anyone gotten this to work? I've tried

-disconnecting my device
    -selecting iPad Apps in iTunes
    -dragging my .ipa on the desktop over to iTunes
    -selecting File > Devices > Sync "foo" device...

but my .ipa doesn't install.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  19. eco_bach

eco_bach

ok, got it to work. You don't do a Sync. Instead you manually drag the .ipa from the Library window in iTunes to the device in the left hand column. So a 2 step process. Funny I haven't stumbled across any simple description of this!

20. guneyozsan

guneyozsan

It works great and the OTA feature makes the workflow very fluent.

21. natsupy

natsupy

hi, i'm using vmware to do step on mac, but i have noti like that, so what am i missing or not, how many size of file sdk after all ? my usb was used is 4BG and file zip after all is 13MB, thank you for support !
    http://i.imgur.com/EXIJWSH.png

22. guneyozsan

guneyozsan

@natsupy My zip was about 14MB and it becomes an 60MB SDK folder when you perform the step back on Windows. After the migration assistant you should have an SDK folder like this where you install the plugin:
    upload_2017-6-2_0-11-20.png
    You should also install the plugin in a non-admin area. I installed it in its default location, my users folder.

23. natsupy

natsupy

@guneyozsan i tried this sdk, and building file is ok, thank you for comfirm this! It's helpful!

24. BL1TZ

BL1TZ

Does this still work with the latest versions of Unity?

25. schmosef

schmosef

It does. And the support is awesome. It's updated regularly and the few times I've had a problem, the dev has always been helpful.

26. iddqd

iddqd

It does and every time i use it, a tear of joy rolls down my cheek because i didn't have to buy a mac.

schmosef likes this.
  27. deiong

deiong

when I try to compile on my windows machine it doesn’t allow me to enable 64bit which will not then let me upload to the asset store. I bought this because my old white mac book wont let me upgrade any more to the latest xcode and I wont waste a couple of grand buying a macbook pro. So I thought this would be a good solution, however it doesn’t allow me to select 64 bit. How do I enable that so I can upload to apple store?

28. schmosef

schmosef

This is an issue with how your project is configured in Unity. It's just two settings:
    1. In Unity, Player Settings>Other Settings you must set the Scripting Backend to IL2CPP.
    2. Then you will be able to change the Architecture to ARM64 or Universal.
    Now you can build for iOS in Unity and iOS Project Builder will allow you to compile for 64bit.

I've included some screenshots below.

Build Settings.png Other Settings.png

29. deiong

deiong

schmosef likes this.
  30. Unityparrot78

Unityparrot78

I'm having a problem, I hope someone can help me. I get to the very end of the build and I get this error - 200.JPG

Anyone else run into this? Thank you!

31. Maister

Maister

Hello :)

can anyone supply me with the SDK.zip ? I bought this asset and did not read that I would initially need a MAC for using it :O

Thanks very much!

32. Maister

Maister

Ok, I got the files by now..

New Question:
    According to this article in the unity lern segment
    https://unity3d.com/de/learn/tutori...-unity-game-ios-device-testing?playlist=17138
    you should be able to test you iOS app without being an apple developer with a purchased plan. A free apple ID should be good enough.
    I cannot see how I would this with this package.. Anyone knows how I could do that?

Thanks very much!

33. Osfield

Osfield

Hi, can someone provide the SDK.zip file please ?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  34. Tarrag

Tarrag

Hi, I'm having real trouble running iOS Project Builder for Unity on mac. Getting permission denied on all files.

I'm not an expert on mac.

I've run it from root, admin acct, and also run from terminal "sudo chmod -N /" , "sudo chmod ugo+rw /", "sudo chflags nouchg", "sudo chflags norestricted". I am executing from Finder. I tried to exec sh /path/to/file but says it needs to execute from finder.

At the end of the script execution I get "iOS SDK not found. Please download and install Xcode from App store". Other times I run it permission was also denied on most files and got the iOS SDK in the usb but on execution in windows said it was incomplete and had to re-run in mac. I did install Xcode in each account I run iOS project builder from and created a test xcode project to confirm this.

On Mac pro Sierra 10.12.6, Xcode 9.2

Can someone please shed some light?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Sergio

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  35. schmosef

schmosef

Wish I could give you some advice on this. It works fine for me.

I don't have to do anything special. I just run the script from Finder. At some point it (sometimes) asks for credentials, but that's it.

I'm not a Mac expert either. I recently upgraded to Mojave and downloaded the latest Xcode from the app store. I re-ran the script (to get the latest SDK updates) just a few days ago. No issues.

If your Mac is too old to run Mojave, I recommend this free tool. He has a full demo video here. I've been using this tool for years to keep my ancient iMac on the latest macOS.

The few times I've had questions, I found that the developer of the iOS Project Builder asset was very responsive when I sent him an email. If no one here has any ideas, I suggest you try that.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  36. Tarrag

Tarrag

Thanks a lot @schmosef I'll sure be checking it out , I've hit a dead end for now installing ios project builder for now, Cheers!

37. Tarrag

Tarrag

In case anyone had the same issues about permissions, I upgraded to Mojave (thanks @schmosef !) and the script execute to the end without errors in Mac. But then the second script fails in the PC despite the SDK folder was saved to USB (IOSBUILDENV_PATH nor the IOSUNITYBUILDER_PATH environment variables are set.), Im trying to figure that out.

Cheers, Sergio

38. schmosef

schmosef

I've never had problems running that script. Maybe you have a user permission issue.

Did you install the iOS Project Builder application to the default path in your user directory?

One of the reasons it installs to that path is to ensure UAC doesn't interfere and you don't need to run anything "as administrator".

The asset was updated recently. Make sure you are running the latest version with the latest scripts.

If you can't figure it out, email the developer of the asset.

39. Aseemy

Aseemy

Hi,
    I am having trouble building a working IPA using IOS Project Builder when i use the following plugin
    https://github.com/sanukin39/UniLocalNotification
    I am using this for only local push notification.

When its building the IPA i get the following error

The IPA is created and its installed as well but it doesnt run.

But if i export the project to a Mac and build from xcode i have no issues.

Push notifications is disabled, but local push notification should work without it as it does when building from Xcode.

Can anyone help me so i dont have to keep going to my mac.

40. choguyver

choguyver

Hi Aseemy, I'm actually having the same problem (I think). Did anyone ever get back to you with a solution?

41. Aseemy

Aseemy

No.
    But i changed the package i was using to this one : https://github.com/Agasper/unity-android-notifications
    It did not have that issue and works for both android and IOS. This package is also very easy to use.
    Good documentation by the author, really helped me.

42. choguyver

choguyver

Damn, I already paid for this. Thanks for the input.

43. Aseemy

Aseemy

I am not talking about IOS builder, i am still using ios-builder. I changed the notification package (both were free to use).
    Tell me more about your problem with IOS-builder, maybe i can help.

44. ankitvirgo23_unity

ankitvirgo23_unity

popup in your final app telling that your builder is in demo mode. Im using iOS builder for windows from unity asset store.

45. schmosef

schmosef

@ankitvirgo23_unity,

I had this happen in one of my older projects after upgrading to a newer version of Unity.

I eventually fixed the issue by creating a new project and importing everything from the old project.

46. straylight

straylight

Hi,
    My build is giving the following error
    error: install_name_tool: for: romear.app\romear (for architecture arm64) option "-add_rpath @executable_path/Frameworks" would duplicate path, file already has LC_RPATH for: @executable_path/Frameworks

The app works in XCode on a mac but the build tool fails.

any ideas?

47. DeusExMachina1993

DeusExMachina1993

hi, my build is giving the following error:
    iOS Project Builder for Unity\Toolchain\swiftc.exe"' is not recognized as an internal or external command
    any help?

48. numetdevelop

numetdevelop

Hi I have a warning.

The provisioning profile you specified doesn't contain your certificate.
    Please specify a provisioning profile that suits your signing identity.

Need help.

Jokonut likes this.
  49. RendergonPolygons

RendergonPolygons

sounds like an issue in setting up your signing identity @numetdevelop. Following the steps in section "Setting up your signing identity" in the helpfile that comes with the iOS project builder worked for me.

50. trnq1ll0

trnq1ll0